Kiwi Resins CA-15

Started by GTX, October 24, 2008, 01:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Does anyone know if this is available?  I see one is being built on HS.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Don't worry - found out from the man himself.

1/48 CA-15 is available!!!

Cost is $99US plus post.

Regards,

Greg

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

Here you go:

Over on HS, Dave Lochead  of  KiwiResins is asking for input on colour scheme for a build he is doing of one using reject parts.  Jis possibles at this stage are:

Prototype?
South African AF in Korea?
RAAF as above?
Foliage green with white leading edges and tail?
Grey Nurse?
RNZAF?
RAF in Suez markings?

Regards,

greg

kitnut617

Cheers Greg, looks really nice in the pic that shows (top four are the dreaded X )  I've got the 1/72 Czech Master Resin kit which is quite good, I hadn't realized that there was a 1/48 one on the market.  I was doing some dry fitting with it when I first got it and thought it would look neat with a five blade prop, I found that the Sea Fury prop & spinner fits real well on it.

elmayerle

I'd always figured that there'd be a production version with a 5-bladed prop and a high-speed/racing version with 3-bladed contraprops. 

Korean war or SEAC markings from an extended WW II would be quite plausible markings for Dave Lochead's build.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

kitnut617

I did a comparison of it with the Martin Baker MB5, they're about the same size, so contra-props would definitely be on the cards (fitted with some Shackleton props.)

GTX

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 24, 2008, 07:12:17 PM
Cheers Greg, looks really nice in the pic that shows (top four are the dreaded X )  I've got the 1/72 Czech Master Resin kit which is quite good, I hadn't realized that there was a 1/48 one on the market.  I was doing some dry fitting with it when I first got it and thought it would look neat with a five blade prop, I found that the Sea Fury prop & spinner fits real well on it.

Can you see them now?

Regards,

Greg

kitnut617

Yes thanks Greg, looks really nice

elmayerle

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 25, 2008, 09:19:38 AM
I did a comparison of it with the Martin Baker MB5, they're about the same size, so contra-props would definitely be on the cards (fitted with some Shackleton props.)

I can see them going with either a 5-bladed prop or contraprops for production, though I'd think initial production would likely use the five-bladed prop because it would work with existing engines while the contraprops would require a different engine gear box and other modifications.

kitnut617

I think I read that it was originally to be powered by an R-2800, but as usual I can't find where I read that to verify.  It's certainly big enough that a large radial wouldn't look out of place. Maybe an R-3350 or R-3460 ----

elmayerle

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 27, 2008, 07:51:48 AM
I think I read that it was originally to be powered by an R-2800, but as usual I can't find where I read that to verify.  It's certainly big enough that a large radial wouldn't look out of place. Maybe an R-3350 or R-3460 ----

Yep, it certainly was.  The Australian Aviation book on aircraft in Australian Service that includes it has good covereage of the design evolution from a developed Boomerang with a R2800 to what was finally produced.  I seem to remember that, at one point about 10 years ago, someone did a limited-production kit of the R2800-powered version.  If they'd kept the radial, I could see a production version with a Centaurus and a 5-bladed prop off the Sea Fury.

kitnut617

Quote from: elmayerle on October 27, 2008, 10:09:19 AM
I could see a production version with a Centaurus and a 5-bladed prop off the Sea Fury.

There you go ----  :thumbsup:

tat2

Here are a few profiles of the radial Ca-15's.

kitnut617

Doesn't those canopies look a little Fw.190ish