Zero, Zeke, and Rufe

Started by Daryl J., May 03, 2008, 11:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

I have to admit, an inline Zero looks somewhat odd in thought to me, though a 605 and nose like the 61-II would be rather brutal.

Alternately, what if Mitsubishi had been allowed to use the Kinsei from the start, instead of being forced to the Sakae radials - the A6M8 returned to the Kinsei, and the Kinsei was also used on the Ki-100.  I wonder if they wouldn't have come up with a workaround to provide cowling guns if they'd stuck with the Kinsei from day one.

Similarly, a Hien with Zero Wings would be an interesting sight too.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

GTX

Comment by Abraham Gubler on Secret Projects:

Quotehe RAAF also recovered a pristine Zero in early 1942 on Melville Island that had been shot down by a lucky bullet piercing the oil tank. If that wasn't enough the Chief Designer of the Australian Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) Fred David had worked for Mitsubishi as an engineer on the Zero for two years before moving to Australia. David was a refugee from Germany where he had been an engineer for Heinkel. David and his boss Lawrence Wackett proposed building an improved Australian Zero as early as 1939 but were turned down by the RAAF who believed that only twin engine fighters would be effective in long range Pacific operations and wanted the Bristol Beaufighter.

Anyone want to have a go at an Australianised Zero?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

Quote from: GTX on August 28, 2009, 02:55:31 PM
Some mindless play:

Regards,

Greg

Ahh, the elusive Gallaudet Zero.  ;D

sequoiaranger

>David and his boss Lawrence Wackett proposed building an improved Australian Zero as early as 1939 but were turned down by the RAAF who believed that only twin engine fighters would be effective in long range Pacific operations and wanted the Bristol Beaufighter.<

I guess (sigh) something already manufactured is better than something homegrown. But...

Couldn't *WE* envision and/or make a twin-engined Zero looking like a skinny Beaufighter or a Grumman F5F?? I would propose "cowl guns" on the twin engines like on the regular Zero, plus nose guns, too! Take that "mindless play" Zero and dump the mid-fuselage engine and lower vertical stabilizer but keep the length and nose, then add twin engines on the wings. I think there are some DEFINITE possibilities there!!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Sauragnmon

A Twin-engine Zero would be quite something, she'd posess a monster of a climb rate, there'd be enough lift capacity to include some decent armour, though I'd take the opporotunity to load the nose with a rather decent battery of weapons - a Zerstorer can pack plenty of firepower in that nose, and to rather powerful effect because of the focused nature and direct angle, much less zeroing required to score a good hit at any range compared to wing mounts.

Podded engines like the 110 would provide a good idea, I would wonder at the idea of an inverted gull to the wing, but you'd put the props too close to the ground.  Maybe even keep it designed for Carrier operations with a roll-and-fold wing on the outer section for a nice compact fit.  Widen the wing chord some to increase the size of fuel tanks in the inner wings, maybe some internal storage as well, and of course drop tanks.  Of course, even just with western fuel tank design they'd be a little less prone to fireballism as the fuel tanks would have the internal bladder design to prevent fume buildup in the tanks.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sequoiaranger

The Mitsubishi "Dinah" seems a perfect subject for a "twin-engined Zero" transformation--it's a small, fast twin made by the same company. I just checked mine with a Zero, and it would work! You take the top of the fuselage off the Zeke (for a single-cockpit version which I would think appropriate) and the empennage (it matches up in about the right place!) and replace the Dinah's, and maybe clip the wings a bit or substitute Zero outer panels. It'll have the LOOK of the Zero! Duck Soup!

I think I can see Clive Caldwell flying the Aussie version!!!

frank2056

The XP-50 could also work as a twin engined Allied "Zero" - maybe with better engines.

Taiidantomcat

adjust the nose on that a bit and you have an FW-187 cousin!  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

GTX

Quote from: apophenia on September 06, 2009, 07:35:27 PM
A stab at Fred David's reinterpretation of Mitsubishi's 12-Shi submission. This Zero has been minimally 'Australianized' with CA-12 Boomerang features.

Powerplant is the P&W Twin Wasp (but without the flamedamper exhaust). To avoid the need for synchonization, armament is all wing-mounted (wing break-points have been moved inboard).

BTW, I've numbered this aircraft way out of sequence. If the A6M is nicknamed after the Japanese year zero... ;D

Bravo!!!!  How long do you reckon it will take before someone pops up saying this drawing is real?

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Some more mindless play - removed some canopy framing, gave it a bigger engine with contra props and a fuselage stretch:

Regards,

Greg

Bao_1996

Hello,I think maybe the Zero will have faster speed if it was equipped with motorjet.

jcf

From a post on Hyperscale, Manga twin-engine  Zeke.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I may need to buy another 1/32nd Tamiya Model 52, or do I get another Model 21 and make the Philippines attack version? Hmmm

Decisions, decisions ...  ;D

GTX

Great find - who's going to be the first to make it?

Regards,

Greg

sequoiaranger

...but it is SCARY CLOSE to what I had in mind for a future build (See Sept 9th, below). Basic kit would be the Dinah with a gun-nose instead of the clear one, Zero canopy up top, and Zero tail.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.