R

Alvis Salamander, Stalwart, Saracen, and Saladin series of 6X6 wheeled vehicles

Started by RotorheadTX, June 18, 2006, 08:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

I don't think you'd like the problems the six-wheeled drives causes on long distance journeys.  Downunder, the Saracen APC had to have one crewman pumping oil into it every mile, using special footpumps, while it was moving...   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Nor the transmission wind-up, you'd need to look for high kerbs to jump off every 100 miles or so, and goodness knows what that would do to all the china and other fragiles aboard the RV.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Well the real idea was to go off-roading in it ----- I know some really good trails up in the mountains which lead to some really spectacular views. There's lots of high meadows up there which would be perfect camp spots, it's just getting to them.  On the dirt bike maybe about an hours ride, the 4-Wheelers take all day  ;D  And I'm done with the tenting bit of camping, RVing is more what I like these days  :wacko:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

I saw some gorgeous AWD RVs when I was travelling around Colorado. Defo the way to go !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Everyone (including me!) has been saying that they can't believe nobody tried fitting a 90mm to the Saladin, well guess what, they did!

These pics are of a prototype produced by a company called GKL in the late 1980s. The gun is the Belgian MECAR KEnergia 90/46, a significantly more powerful weapon that the Cockerill and F2 weapons discussed so far.

Note that the turret bustle's been extended and widened. No idea if that's internal or external or whether it's for ammo storage or balance.

I was prompted to look for this because the Tank Museum have just put up a video of David Fletcher talking about the Saladin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOgIikyFL7M

There's not a lot of new info there, but there is lots of nice footage and photos.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on September 05, 2020, 12:26:08 PM
I was prompted to look for this because the Tank Museum have just put up a video of David Fletcher talking about the Saladin:

There's not a lot of new info there, but there is lots of nice footage and photos.

Along with his mustache and usual quips.  His Tank Chats are both informative and amusing.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

frank2056

I got the Ace Salamander to build the truck seen in "Tales from the Loop" (it's driving around the background in a couple of episodes)

It's in this tweet: https://twitter.com/simonstalenhag/status/1246336771979448321

Weaver

Quote from: scooter on September 05, 2020, 01:31:47 PM

Along with his mustache and usual quips.  His Tank Chats are both informative and amusing.

His all-time classic was something along the lines of "if you don't agree with me, don't bother putting it in the comments. Nobody cares..."  ;D

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Note that the turret bustle's been extended and widened. No idea if that's internal or external or whether it's for ammo storage or balance.

Given the length of that barrel it would be needed for the recoil, and I'm being semi serious. It's quite a nice looking vehicle in those "in action" shots. Nice find H  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: scooter on September 05, 2020, 01:31:47 PM

I've never met the man but I can corresponded with him over his books.  He is amusing and interesting.  I think he only replied to me 'cause I'm from Australia and I was living in Perth, where he had lived for a few years as a young man.   He knows his stuff and he isn't afraid to tell you when you are wrong.  He is a nice bloke and has some amusing stories to tell about the British Army and armoured vehicles as well.  I have nearly all his books and they are well worth getting if you want a real history of the British Army and it's development and use of AFVs.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Comedy gold... ;D

Apparently the vehicle was a Stolly (doesn't say so specifically in the article)

- Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Filling that 100m gallon tank would have cost him a few pence! Imagine driving a Stolly into a filling station anyway? LOVE it!  :wub:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

And those were the days before self-service too:

"Fill 'er up mate."

"Errr, how?"

- Indiana Jones