R

Alvis Salamander, Stalwart, Saracen, and Saladin series of 6X6 wheeled vehicles

Started by RotorheadTX, June 18, 2006, 08:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Or even 'Where'?   :-\

As I recall the filler is inside the cargo deck up behind the cab, but it was a LONG time ago that I was aboard one to see that.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 23, 2023, 05:50:41 AMOr even 'Where'?   :-\

As I recall the filler is inside the cargo deck up behind the cab, but it was a LONG time ago that I was aboard one to see that.

Imagine if the pump attendant was an old guy...

It wouldn't even be clear how to get up there to a novice, since the first 'step' is actually the front wheel hub.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 23, 2023, 06:15:41 AMImagine if the pump attendant was an old guy...

It wouldn't even be clear how to get up there to a novice, since the first 'step' is actually the front wheel hub.

That'd ne me now.  ;D

Getting into the civvie owned one at the Forest of Dean railway a few years back wasn't exactly simple for me even then, but it was great fun being back in the cab of one.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Found by Rickshaw and posted in 'Links':

So they DID consider a Scorpion/Scimitar turret on the Saladin hull, and they did consider a 90mm too (I wonder which one?)!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Gondor

Quote from: Weaver on April 24, 2023, 02:44:04 AMFound by Rickshaw and posted in 'Links':

So they DID consider a Scorpion/Scimitar turret on the Saladin hull, and they did consider a 90mm too (I wonder which one?)!

The Scorpion had the 76 mm L23A1 gun where the Scimitar had the high-velocity 30 mm L21 RARDEN cannon.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Quote from: Gondor on April 24, 2023, 05:04:51 AM
Quote from: Weaver on April 24, 2023, 02:44:04 AMFound by Rickshaw and posted in 'Links':

The Scorpion had the 76 mm L23A1 gun where the Scimitar had the high-velocity 30 mm L21 RARDEN cannon.

Gondor

The Scorpion turret would make no difference to the Saladin's firepower, but I presume it would make it significantly lighter.

I'd imagine that the steel Saladin turret would provide a better platform for a 90mm, given the cracking problems that the aluminium Scorpion 90 turrets experienced.

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

Quote from: Weaver on April 24, 2023, 05:10:24 AMThe Scorpion turret would make no difference to the Saladin's firepower, but I presume it would make it significantly lighter.

The video states the Rarden equipped Saladin was 10.2 tons, versus 11.6t for the original. I'd imagine the 76mm would add a bit more weight.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

buzzbomb

Tried the very thing while I was building a Black Box Saladin.
Popped on a Scimitar turret from another build and the result is quite cool.
Pity the Black Box Saladin is so expensive, or I would have done one.

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on April 24, 2023, 01:16:53 PM
Quote from: Weaver on April 24, 2023, 05:10:24 AMThe Scorpion turret would make no difference to the Saladin's firepower, but I presume it would make it significantly lighter.

The video states the Rarden equipped Saladin was 10.2 tons, versus 11.6t for the original. I'd imagine the 76mm would add a bit more weight.

That's worth having, especially since it would probably also result in the centre of gravity being lower too.

By way of comparison, the main selling point of the Panhard ERC-90 Sagaie was that wicked ultra-high velocity GIAT TS-90 90mm gun, yet despite this, some export customers opted for the ERC-90 Lynx variant with an AML-90 turret mounting the much less powerful F2 gun. Why? Because their requirement was more about recce than firepower and/or their terrain was particularly difficult, the Lynx variant was 500kg lighter and the shorter barrel aided cross-country mobility.

- Indiana Jones

Rheged

Odd factoid regarding the  Saladin.  I'm told on good authority that one became bogged down in a flooding desert wadi in the Aden Protectorate, necessitating the use of an AIR-SEA RESCUE Wessex helicopter to perform a rescue winching operation from a flooded vehicle  in the desert at 2000feet above sea level.  I'll try to post the provenance of this factoid if/when I find it.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

killnoizer

Please let me in to this thread ...
As a child the British Army drove us kids around in a open Stalwart , we had a house near the training ground at Bergen in Germany . Those where the days  :thumbsup:
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

NARSES2

Quote from: killnoizer on June 04, 2023, 05:56:52 AMPlease let me in to this thread ...
As a child the British Army drove us kids around in a open Stalwart , we had a house near the training ground at Bergen in Germany . Those where the days  :thumbsup:

Can you imagine what Health and Safety would say now ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

killnoizer

In Germany you have to fill a couple of papers before enter a STANDING Tank  :banghead:  .

At the local meeting 2 weeks ago we had a PUMA Tank in Exhibition .
 They drove them in , at slow motion with a guard and a flag walking before ... was a joke to watch , with a dozen of private owned MAN KAT 8x8  driving around all the time  :thumbsup:
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

PR19_Kit

Quote from: killnoizer on June 04, 2023, 05:56:52 AMAs a child the British Army drove us kids around in a open Stalwart , we had a house near the training ground at Bergen in Germany . Those where the days  :thumbsup:

A Stolly! A cracking vehicle, and I could go on and on about them, and have done here in the past too.  ;D

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Downunder, we regularly had a Landrover decked out as a train engine with about three quarter ton trailers attached as carriages, for the kids to ride around in at functions.  We never had any accidents but today the role was stopped because of safety concerns.  It was deemed "too difficult" to fill out the reams of paperwork required to have unchaperoned kids allowed into trailers without adult supervision. :banghead:  :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.