R

Alvis Salamander, Stalwart, Saracen, and Saladin series of 6X6 wheeled vehicles

Started by RotorheadTX, June 18, 2006, 08:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famvburg

It's not a kit & not 1/35, but 1/32 & it's a pretty nice model from Airfix.
http://cgi.ebay.com/AIRFIX-Military-Series-ALVIS-STALWART-1-32-EXCELLENT-/190535620694?pt=UK_Toys_Games_ToySoldiers_EH&hash=item2c5cced856

Quote from: pyro-manic on May 26, 2011, 05:05:41 PM
Excellent find, Mossie! I really wish someone would kit any of this family (especially the Stalwart) in 1:35.

IanH

Bit of news for you guys - up until a few years ago, Saladin was in the running to supply a small Middle Eastern Country.  A number were refurbished to As New.  The deal fell through, and they were sold on the Civvie Market (One was seen at the NE MVT Show in Durham a couple of years back).
The 76 is still a viable weapon, bearing in mind the type of operations we are engaged in ATM...

Martin H

Quote from: IanH on May 27, 2011, 12:31:43 PM
The 76 is still a viable weapon, bearing in mind the type of operations we are engaged in ATM...

Well the Kuwaiti operated Saladins are reputid to have taken down at least one Iraqi T-72 during the invasion.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

IanH

Quote from: Martin H on June 06, 2011, 11:45:45 AM

Well the Kuwaiti operated Saladins are reputid to have taken down at least one Iraqi T-72 during the invasion.
AFAIK It was only the risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning that killed the 76mm in Brit Service.

rickshaw

Quote from: IanH on June 07, 2011, 12:02:17 AM
Quote from: Martin H on June 06, 2011, 11:45:45 AM

AFAIK It was only the risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning that killed the 76mm in Brit Service.

That certainly helped but what clinched its retirement was the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe which classified all AFVs carrying a gun larger than 75mm as a "tank".  The UK preferred to have more Challengers than Saladins and Scorpions and so opted to retire them.  Which is why NATO also saw a massive "cascading" of first class MBTs down to the poorer members and the retirement of the older ones from there.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

GTX

Quote from: pyro-manic on May 26, 2011, 05:05:41 PM
Excellent find, Mossie! I really wish someone would kit any of this family (especially the Stalwart) in 1:35.

Have a look here

Hmm, I wonder...maybe a Rapier Anti-Aircraft Missile System mounted on the rear of a Stalwart Mk.2???

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

Unusual one, a Salamnder used as a friction test vehicle for aircraft landing gear.  The centre wheels have been removed & aircraft gear has been mounted underneath.
http://www.trucksplanet.com/catalog/model.php?id=1134

Gives an impression of what the Salamander might look like as a standard truck, either 4x4 or 6x6.  The whole vehicle has been heavily modified, with a more standard civvy cab as well.

The Alvis PV-1 test vehicle that lead to to the Stolly also has a civvy like appearance:
http://www.trucksplanet.com/catalog/model.php?id=1135

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Some Stolly goodness on this site:
http://www.amphibiousvehicle.net/amphi/A/alvisspecial/stally.html

Here's some more unusual ones:

Flim prop painted up in Op Granby/Desert Storm colours.  Don't think any Stollies made there, most were retired by the early 80's IIRC.

Another film prop in a Sci Fi-sy guise.

Terry'll love this one!!!  Pink(!) Stolly for a make-up ad, with lipstick rocket launcher!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

RotorheadTX

Quote from: Mossie on September 14, 2011, 07:00:23 AM
Here's some more unusual ones:
Flim prop painted up in Op Granby/Desert Storm colours.  Don't think any Stollies made there, most were retired by the early 80's IIRC.

Terry'll love this one!!!  Pink(!) Stolly for a make-up ad, with lipstick rocket launcher!

This thread just keeps getting better!!  :thumbsup:

Hobbes

kitnut617

Many years ago, probably late 60's, early 70's, there was a TV program where various vehicles would race down a hill, then across a swamp/bog, then back up the opposite bank.  The Stalwart was used by various groups in these races going up against Austin Champs, Land Rovers of various types, Mini Mokes (with two engines  ;) ) and other thrown-together 4WD's.  Most times the Stawart won, but I can't remember the name of the show ---  :banghead:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

The Twini Moke!  ;D

What a madhouse that was to drive! The prototype had two INDEPENDENT engine-gearbox drive trains and two gearlevers, one in front of the other. That means you could be in reverse on one engine and 1st on the other, LOADS of wheelspin at both ends but in opposite directions, and no actual movement at all!  ;D

Eventually we tied both gearboxes to one gearlever which was much more sensible, but bizarrely it worked best with two different final drive ratios, the front one being higher than the rear for some reason. But it was VERY quick, as it had two Cooper spec. engines, and through the middle of Oxford would blow the doors of anything with wheels, and that included motorbikes.

Happy memories.  :cheers:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

It wasn't me Robert, I was nuffink to do wiv it guv, 'onest.........  ;D

The Twini-Moke was built in response to a request from the US Army, of all places, but they lost interest in it because the ground clearance was too low and Austin monthballed the project. I think they built at least three Twinis, and they were all different to each other, and at least one was sent to the US, presumably to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds. The Austin Memories web site says that the rear engine on some of them was changed to an automatic to solve the gear changing problems, which would make some sense.

Piccies below filched from their Moke page.

Top down view of the two gear stick version

The two gear sticks themselves, before they were connected.

The rear engine in its box.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

I always understood that it was an Australian Army request for a four-wheel drive Moke.   I've seen the one, of IIRC two, which were used on trials downunder.  Its now preserved in the RACT Museum.  AIUI, the main objection to its use was complexity and low clearance.  The fitters didn't like the idea of trying to keep two engines in tune and of course two gearboxes, etc.

Personally, I always enjoyed the Mokes the Army had.  They were in service downunder from the early 1970s through to the late 1980s.  Loads of fun to drive and if you got bogged, you could literally lift it out of trouble with four strong men.  ;)

AIUI, BMW have been working off and on, on a new Moke using the new Mini chassis for about a decade.   There are still original Mokes going strong downunder and they remain a very popular vehicle.  If BMW extracted their digits, they'd have a big seller I think with a new Moke.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.