Problems with Revell Filler (Putty)

Started by Aircav, November 01, 2008, 05:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

Has anyone had any problems with Revell filler, the last two tubes I got the contents seem to of seperated in the tube leaving a thick clear jelly that eats plastic and the grey filler stuff that dosen't seem to want to dry.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

ChernayaAkula

^ Yeah, happened to me too. I mix the two components on a piece of cardboard before applying. But I think other fillers work a lot better.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Me too, won't use the stuff anymore. Squadron Green Stuff or (Superfine) White for me every time.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

kitnut617

Funny that, I won't use the Squadron Putty anymore.  The last few tubes I got it would dry too quick and just flake off the plastic, no bonding what so ever.  I use the Revell Plasto and Tamiya Fine.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Aircav on November 01, 2008, 05:06:53 AMHas anyone had any problems with Revell filler, the last two tubes I got the contents seem to of seperated in the tube leaving a thick clear jelly that eats plastic and the grey filler stuff that dosen't seem to want to dry.

Not having a tube of this available for inspection I would like to know if the container/tube has any shelf life or expiration date posted on the product.  It could be that the shelf life was exceeded or it could have been exposed to extreme temperatures which may have affected it and caused the ingredients to separate. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Geoff

I haven't had this problem. It does disolve the plastic of the model so you have to be careful where you place it. But I found it a lot easier to use and carve than most of the others.
Geoff.

Weaver

I had this problem with the Revell filler so I store the tube upside down now, and it works fine.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

I have noticed it Steve. But like others I mix it on a piece of card so maybe the separation isn't as bad as yours.

Been using Vallejo lately. Whilst "wet" you can smooth it out with a finger dipped in water. Sands well as well. Need to get some more from "Little Cars" at Telford
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Howard of Effingham

hmm, i have had the same problem with the italeri 'plasto' putty.

just got shot of it and as others have said its back to the sqn white/greenstuff.

trevor
Keeper of George the Cat.

cthulhu77

Acryl Blue, Bondo glazing putty, and Mr. Surfacer are my fav's.

jcf

Quote from: cthulhu77 on November 04, 2008, 09:12:41 AM
Acryl Blue, Bondo glazing putty, and Mr. Surfacer are my fav's.

Give Spies-Hecker Permacron Fine Putty 7715 a try, brilliant stuff.

Jon

Brian da Basher

Maybe it's just luck, but I've always had good results with Squadron White. Granted, I've been using the same tube for two years. I also highly reccomend Bondo red Spot Glazing putty, but be forewarned of the strong fumes and flammability while it cures. I think the key is knowing what you need for the job. For small gaps 1/16 inch or less, I use CA or Gator Glue. For larger ones, I use Squadron White. For huge gaps (like filling in the bomb bay door on my B-36) Bondo red Spot Glazing putty is excellent!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

lancer

My filler of choice at the moment is 'Pollyfilla Fine surface filler'. It is nice to work with and cleans up pretty well before it dries and sands down nicely when dry. It dries fairly quickly as well. Having said that I did buy some squadron green to try out a couple of weeks ago.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

ysi_maniac

I normally use Tamiya putty, with no problems yet.
Will die without understanding this world.

Aircav

Squadron green stuff is a good filler, its great for making 1/35 berets, just let it skin over a bit and then you can push it down, instant beret, wonderful  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader