Converting Civil Aircraft to Military use

Started by kengeorge, November 01, 2008, 08:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kengeorge

Morning,
   Ooops,posted the incomplete Sherpa,
having a senior moment here, never mind.
   Ken.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

dy031101

Quote from: elmayerle on December 03, 2008, 12:06:09 PM
Well, I suspect that under that dome there's a rather smaller antenna.  I don't think going from a dome to a rotodisk would cause all that many problems.  Too, I don't know that it'd affect the long-body MU-2's takeoff and landing characteristics much, it wouldn't interfere with the full-span flaps and the engines, especially in the Marquise, as significantly flat rated that I doubt there'd be much effect.

Would it be safe for me to assume that the rotodisk configuration would not require any bigger nose radome (just an aesthetics factor for me)?

Conformal ESM and ECM arrays on either side of the fuselage and along the belly would be aesthetically acceptable enough to me though.

When did the Marquise come along?  Going with Sea Harriers and the carrier ship, the version available in mid-1970s perhaps?

(I didn't realize that the first long-body version flew starting in 1969 until last week......)
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

kengeorge

Morning,
   Thought I would post these, A DC-8 E-3D AWACS and a Philippines AF Boeing P-4.
My whiff behind the DC-8/E-3D stems from 'what if' Douglas contested the USAF C-135 contract awarded to Boeing, and
won it themselves, with the DC-8 (or C-8/KC-8/E-8 JSTARS,etc).
    Got more on that for a back story that I'm cleaning up at the mo.
    More coming soon.....
    Ken   

PR19_Kit

Ken,

Love the idea of the DC-8 AWACS, but wouldn't Douglas have fitted the TF-33 engines at that time? Later versions would have the almost standard CFM-56 engines fitted to the -70 Series Eights of course, including the ones supplied to the RAF......  <_<
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kengeorge

Morning,
   Here are some more DC-8 and DC-10 based whiffs I've done,all comments welcome as usual.
   PR19_kit,thanks for your comment, maybe there will be an RAF E-3D coming soon along with an IFR variant.
   For now though.....
   Ken

PR19_Kit

Oooh yes, that VC-25 does look good as a Flying White House. Dare I say it, but maybe even better than the current user of that scheme.......?  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kengeorge

Morning,
   I'm re-posting the VC-25, as i don't think I had the colour scheme right the 1st time round.
I have a two more DC-8's for you,both RAF types
   once again I'd like to read your comments.
   Ken

GTX

How about a Comet 4 in the AAR role?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

dy031101

All in all, the DC-8-based AWACS and J-STARS are awesome.  :thumbsup:
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

kengeorge

Evening,
   Thanks guy's for your comments, Comet 4 AAR? Not yet, but I have these for you,
   1st is an RAF Triton MRA.4 -a Comet 5
   2nd is another RAF Comet 5.K.3 This time an AAR one.
   3rd  is an RCAF Comet CCK.3 ARR tanker.
   And now I need some advice, for an alternative for NASA's Boeing 747 SCA.Any suggestions?
   I thought about taking a DC-10, extending the fuselage and deleting the tail engine, putting end-plate vertical fins, and that's as far as I've got. Any other help would be helpful.
   Any comments,good or bad as always,
   Ken

GTX

Interesting.

BTW, whilst on this topic, can anyone provide a list of the known Business Jet kits that are available?

Regards,

Greg

Just call me Ray

Quote from: GTX on December 19, 2008, 10:41:11 AM
Interesting.

BTW, whilst on this topic, can anyone provide a list of the known Business Jet kits that are available?

Regards,

Greg

Model kits of, or period?
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

GTX

Sorry - I meant model kits of.  Forinstance I know there is a Revell 1/48 Learjet 35A kit available.

Regards,

Greg

Shasper

They also do a Citation I-SP, get another fuselage & you should be able to bash it into a Cit II or Bravo.

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.