Converting Civil Aircraft to Military use

Started by kengeorge, November 01, 2008, 08:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Quote from: kengeorge on November 06, 2008, 04:30:12 PM
Morning all,
    Rat I Like the idea of an AEW Lancastrian, with turboprops perhaps?

T'weren't me, t'was Lee!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 03, 2008, 12:14:22 PM
Quote from: cthulhu77 on November 03, 2008, 07:38:08 AM
I'm still trying to find a 72nd scale 747 to make that missile destroying version they keep flashing about.

kitnut aka robert has a copy of the AIM-Transport Wings 747-100/200 kit, maybe if you talk real sweet?  ;D

'twould require several modifications as the ABL is built on the 747-400F platform.

Jon

;D ----- actually I have two of them, but sorry they're not for sale.  One is earmarked as the Shuttle Carrier (got the conversion for it and a Shuttle) the other will be converted into the Boeing XC-X Heavy Lifter (C-5).  On the subject of the Boeing YAL-1A, I had written to Neil Gaunt (owner of Aircraft in Miniature) about buying some engine nacelles from the E-4B kit he does a while back, because the YAL-1A has these engine nacelles (or something that looks very close to them), I had asked when he was going to put his 747-400 version back into production and also the conversion to make a -400F and told him my plans to make the YAL-1A.  In his words, he told me to hold my horses on the YAL-1A conversion ----- I'm reading that as sometime in the future he has one in the works.

On the subject of plans, I have a set of 1/72 C-5 drawings, which are from the old ID Models kit (I also have the Blackbird Models copy too, along with the model).  I have an old 1/72 Britannia 310 kit made by Airways which I think has 1/72 drawings with it (I haven't looked at it in ages so can't quite remember) and I have a 1/72 Vanguard kit made by Gene Hooker which I'm fairly certain has 1/72 scale drawing included (but once again it's been a while).  I could make some copies of these but it will be a while before I can.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kengeorge

Morning,
    Sorry boys for getting you all mixed up, must pay more attention in future. Been doing some profiles with BAE Hawks (with thanks to Bagera3005 for his artwork), Skyhawks some Sherpa's (Shorts-330) and BAe 146's As soon as I can work out how to post images on here I will.
    Must get on,Bye for now
    Ken

The Rat

Quote from: kengeorge on November 07, 2008, 05:58:53 PMSorry boys for getting you all mixed up, must pay more attention in future.

Happens all the time on here. We're usually drunk, what's your excuse?  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kengeorge

Morning,
    Hi rat, I have senior moments. trouble is I watch TV while I look through the topics. Very naughty of me. Drunk? I wish. :cheers:

chrisonord

I have done a couple of conversions in 1/72nd myself with a Revell Dornier twin turboprop which has a flir pod, ECM pods and an Elint pod on the roof, it has a lizzard wrap round camo scheme. I have also done a Hasegawa Mitsubishi Mu as a COIN air patrol aircraft, this has two rocket launchers, 2 hellfires,and an ECM pod. It also has a FLIR pod and a sideways looking sensor/camera on one side to the rear of the cockpit and it has a refuelling probe from an EA-6 on the cockpit roof. This also has a wrap round lizard cam.
These aircraft compliment my Turbo mentor COIN aircraft and my Super Tucano CAS/COIN aircraft, 2 Pucaras, my converted F-84 turboprop coin aircraft. All I need for these now is some central/south American markings. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kengeorge

Evening,
    Chrisonord, got any pics? Love to see them.
    Ken.

chrisonord

I have put some pictures up on here of them, but i will do some beter individual ones and see how they turn out.
Chris.

chrisonord

I have just taken some pics of my converted civil aircraft, and yes, the pics could be better but you should be able to see what they are LOL
Chris

elmayerle

Just a thought for an interesting whif.  If more Boeing Stratoliners had been built, how about a late-war or post-war conversion with an AN/APS-20 underneath?  'Twould seem to make a lot of sense and would certainly be more comfortable than an unpressurized aircraft.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

B777LR

Quote from: kengeorge on November 04, 2008, 06:32:26 PM
I'll have to get hold of an A330 blank and start doing something. Got a A340 Blank I'm trying to whiff into a Phalcon system at the moment, I'll post my doodling's as soon as I finished.

A330-200 blank:

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/templates/blank/big/RP_Abraham_330-200.jpg

kengeorge

Morning,
   Been busy with a family crisis, slow internet and wresting with MS paint. But I think I've cracked it.
   1st whiff is the Shorts Sherpa of The Falkland Islands Defence Force-Air Force,
followed by a US Air Force AC-23 Jackhammer Gunship whiff.
   3rd is a Trident IIIE of The RAF Queen's Flight, 1974.
   Feel free to give any comments, good or bad, etc.
   Thanks
Ken

pyro-manic

Good grief, Snoopy Sherpa is ugly!

The Trident is really nice. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Sauragnmon

Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

dy031101

I can kind of understand why the radar is installed in the nose- fuselage mounts cuts into the cabin space- but then I also inevitably agree with pyro-manic and Sauragnmon......

Nevertheless, all your works are exceptional......

After seeing a discussion of an Alt. History Royal Navy, I've been thinking about a MU-2 with the AEW suite taken straight from Sea King AEW......

Because I'm trying to avoid giving the MU-2 a big nose, I wonder if a partially-retractable, inflatable dome to protect the radar antenna could be made into an aerodynamic shape when inflated......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here