Ju-88, Ju-188, Ju-288, Ju-388, Ju-488, .... Ju-888

Started by ysi_maniac, November 03, 2008, 06:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

sequoiaranger

I've always liked the look of the Ju-388 with the "doodle-bug" glazing and the twin, over-and-under stinger in the tail. I also love the "wave mirror" camo that is a nightmare to reproduce, but so cool-looking! I have all the fixings. That the less-sophisticated Ju-88 WAS used as a torpedo-bomber, and given my penchant for torpedo-bombers, a naval-cooperation Ju-388 is a DEFINITE (but not anytime soon).
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sequoiaranger

>The 388 was intended for high altitude operations so a maritime strike version is frankly ludicrous.  The Ju 88G would be a better bet.<

Yeah, maybe, but I like the four-bladed props on the radials, the cool canopy, and the remote rear guns.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

jcf

Quote from: sequoiaranger on November 03, 2008, 07:48:09 AM
That the less-sophisticated Ju-88 WAS used as a torpedo-bomber...

Ditto the Ju-188.

I have a 1/48 DML Ju-188 E-1(with torpedoes) that has been languishing in a partly constructed state for over a decade,
I lost interest as I wasn't getting any brain storms as regards a paint scheme (I personally find WWII Luftwaffe schemes very boring; splinter-mottle-wiggle-greens-grays-yawn).

Maybe it is time to revisit the beast.

Jon

GTX

Another alternative would be the Ju-88S/T series some of which were hitting 400mph:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Speaking of the Ju 288, does anyone know of a good reference on it.  The best I have is this:

Which is a bit light on.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

May I also add the Ju-85 to this list - the twin tailed cousin to the Ju-88.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

One whiff idea I've been toying with for a while is a Carrier based version of the Ju-188.  I'm thinking folding wings, arrestor hook , the works...

Regards,

Greg

GTX

One could also imagine one of these babies (Ju 388L) being fitted with jet or turboprop engines.

Here is my interpretation with a fictional jet engine:

Regards,

Greg

Just call me Ray

Quote from: GTX on November 04, 2008, 01:26:06 AM
Speaking of the Ju 288, does anyone know of a good reference on it.  The best I have is this:

Which is a bit light on.

Regards,

Greg

That may very well be it. I have "Famous Bombers of the Second World War" which is an excellent all-around reference but it only mentions the 288 in passing, regarding it as a failed experiment and a stepping stone to the 388. That is the only other comprehensive reference I know of.

IIRC, the 288 was to impliment pressurization (as the 388 did) but there were significant problems concerning the pressurization system as well as the aircraft being overweight (both common problems with early pressurized combat aircraft for other countries as well).
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

Just call me Ray

Quote from: GTX on November 04, 2008, 02:35:04 AM
One could also imagine one of these babies (Ju 388L) being fitted with jet or turboprop engines.

Here is my interpretation with a fictional jet engine:

Regards,

Greg

Sweep-wing that baby! That should instantly give you something in the same class as the Canberra/Il-28.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

jcf

Quote from: Just call me Ray on November 04, 2008, 02:24:18 PM

Sweep-wing that baby! That should instantly give you something in the same class as the Canberra/Il-28.

Neither of which had swept wings.   ;D

gooberliberation

So you'd get something of a scaled down EF 132. SovietAF? :wub:
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Just call me Ray

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 04, 2008, 02:27:21 PM
Quote from: Just call me Ray on November 04, 2008, 02:24:18 PM

Neither of which had swept wings.   ;D

Hmmm, you're right.

Oh well, only makes it better then! :)

TomZ

Here's my Ju-588 in 1/72

Combination of Matchbox Ju-188 and Airfix Il-28

Tom
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency