Stingray (F-5 +J-35 )

Started by sotoolslinger, November 03, 2008, 05:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Looking Good Toolslinger - never knowingly underarmed, eh?  :wacko:

Mind you, I think he's going to have some interesting "rote" issues with that drop tank - Drackens had tailwheels for a reason.......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

Looks good with the weapons mounted, STS.  Great end product.  Shavings in the cockpit, bah, crap happens, man.

And besides, with a loadout like that, Weaver, he works by my usual quote - It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sotoolslinger

Quote from: Weaver on December 05, 2008, 02:51:52 AM
Looking Good Toolslinger - never knowingly underarmed, eh?  :wacko:

Mind you, I think he's going to have some interesting "rote" issues with that drop tank - Drackens had tailwheels for a reason.......
OK what is a ''rote'' issue :blink:
And Draken have a huge fat engine that sticks out the back much further than mine. The flaps lift the arse end much faster on mine  :rolleyes: :blink: ;D
So there :lol:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

ChernayaAkula

^ "Rote" as in rotation, maybe?

Outstanding build and paintjob! :worship: Looks absolutely awesome!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

JP Vieira

Excellent project! :thumbsup:
All the best

sotoolslinger

Thanks all y'all. When I see daylight again I will post some outdoor shots. :thumbsup:
I amuse me.

Eddie M.

That just bristles with attitude! A photo of this falling into the hands of the enemy would cause them to drop a deuce right on the spot. Once again, OUTSTANDING WORK! BRAVO ZULU!!
Look behind you!

sotoolslinger

Thanks Bubba ;D I started a new one last night I should have some pics up in a little while :wacko:
I amuse me.

Mossie

Stingray, Stingray, dada, da da DAH!

Lovely stuff Sotool & striking camo!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Yep "Rote" as in "rotation" as in "pull the stick back a shade too hard on take off and you get a fully-lightened jetpipe and a shower of sparks as a bonus....." ;D

So what's the final count then: 2 x 30mm in the wings, one probably-not-small something-or-other in the nose and a GEPOD?  :blink: Remember: people never complain about being overkilled..... :wacko:

It's an utterly gorgeous model Toolslinger - well done!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've been looking at my F-5B and may well yet do a 1/72nd twin-stick "Stingray Tribute": the F-5B's a little shorter so some creativity required, but not beyond the wit of man (or me).....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Thanks y'all ;D Mossie I like that camo too. I think I will do the next one the same way but replace the tan with a grey :wacko:
Weaver I'm glad you like it.I would love to see another one done. The original profile by JP Vieira had canards. The nose gun is a 20 mm with a shroud to keep from smoking up the windscreen. I wanted more room in the nose for a bigger radar so I eliminated one gun and moved it to the center and up. :wacko: :rolleyes: :blink:
I amuse me.

Weaver

Quote from: sotoolslinger on December 06, 2008, 10:39:54 PM
Thanks y'all ;D Mossie I like that camo too. I think I will do the next one the same way but replace the tan with a grey :wacko:
Weaver I'm glad you like it.I would love to see another one done. The original profile by JP Vieira had canards. The nose gun is a 20 mm with a shroud to keep from smoking up the windscreen. I wanted more room in the nose for a bigger radar so I eliminated one gun and moved it to the center and up. :wacko: :rolleyes: :blink:

Ah, I see. That's almost exactly what several of the real world F-5E refit proposals do, i.e. replace one gun with extra avionics. They don't centre the other gun (there's a big "keel" down the middle of an F-5's nose which the guns bolt to the outside of) but then again, they're refitting, not building from scratch. No reason why a Stingray couldn't have a wider double-keel and a "floor": gun & ammo on top, black boxes underneath.

So slipping (far, far too easily  :rolleyes:) into my stores-guy brown coat and sticking a roll-up behind my ear;

"So let me get this straight Guv, you want 20mm, 30x113mm and 30x173mm, and you want it when?"

Sucks air through teeth.... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Exactly why I am now doing the F-416. There is always a need for a "cheap" fighter. If it wasn't for gov't interference there would be thousands of F-20's flying around. There's lotsa folk overpaying for Vipers.
I amuse me.

Weaver

Quote from: sotoolslinger on December 07, 2008, 04:48:57 AM
Exactly why I am now doing the F-416. There is always a need for a "cheap" fighter. If it wasn't for gov't interference there would be thousands of F-20's flying around. There's lotsa folk overpaying for Vipers.

Ain't that the truth..... :banghead:

I was at the Farnborough airshow once in the early '80s when the Tigershark was doing the rounds. The F-16 came on and did a fairly impressive display, then the F-20 came on and very pointedly wiped the floor with it! He deliberately exactly copied the F-16s routine, but every turn was MUCH tighter and sharper: practically within the airfield boundary. I heard later that from the CEOs, through the test pilots and down to the marketing teams, the knives were well and truly out between GD and Northrop that week....... :wacko:

It's been said that a Gripen is a Tigershark designed from a clean sheet of paper.......

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

HMMMMMM I have a Gripen  :wacko: F-20 with Gripen wings :thumbsup:
I amuse me.