F4B-4, P-12, etc:

Started by Daryl J., November 07, 2008, 10:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

GTX said:
One that I rescued from being thrown into the bin by a guy at work - a Hasegawa 1/32 Boeing F4B-4  Any suggestions on what to do with it?  My ideas at is stage are:

RN FAA;
Remove undercarriage and make into Airship carried fighter;
Floatplane fighter;
something else???

How about corrugate both the upper and lower wings and make it an early ag plane?
What if there was a huge surplus of these available inexpensively and they filled an early role of aerobatic championship challenges?
How about making it a retractable with the baggy pot belly like Curtiss did?
Interim mail plane?
The FAA idea is awesome too as is the hookable airship fighter.  :thumbsup:
Coastal Command with Ex. Dk. Sea Grey, Dk. British Slate Grey, and white?

And you?

Daryl J.

GTX

Interesting ideas - keep them coming!!!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

Can't remember if I mentioned this or not.  How about a production version of the F5B-1/P-15 monoplane fighter that was based on a F4B/P-12 fuselage?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

Quote from: elmayerle on November 07, 2008, 11:33:31 AM
Can't remember if I mentioned this or not.  How about a production version of the F5B-1/P-15 monoplane fighter that was based on a F4B/P-12 fuselage?

You did mention it - I hadn't heard of it before and had to look it up (took me a little while until I used XP-15 instead of P-15)

Maybe, just maybe...

Regards,

Greg

Daryl J.

Not to hijack the thread, but that is exactly what I want to do with the Sopwith Camel from Hobbycraft.

And the XP-15 looks good!!!!   Nice find. :party: :party: :party:
.....and now to regular programming......

XP-15 with STOL, much more added glass in fuselage area so pilot's visibility outwards increases and one has an early WW-II observation machine.

:cheers:
Daryl J.

GTX

Maybe an enclosed cockpit too - I like the Curtis XP-31 style:

Regards,

Greg

jcf

Quote from: elmayerle on November 07, 2008, 11:33:31 AM

The two monoplanes; Model 202 (XP-15, US Army), Model 205 (XF5B-1, USN) were not based on the metal fuselaged F4B and P-12 series.
The evolution goes the other way, the monoplanes' basic fuselage design, combined with features of the XP-9 fuselage design,
was used as the basis to develop the fuselage for the Model 218 which served as the prototype for the metal fuselaged F4B/P-12 series,
earlier members of the family using aluminum tube with fabric covering.

The final P-12F was built with an enclosed cockpit canopy.

The USN aircraft based at Anacostia were generally fully polished, the F4B-4 getting the treatment.

Two Marine Corps F4B-4 were bailed to the Bureau of Air Commerce (now the FAA0 in 1940.
Both aircraft were later sold to stunt pilot Jesse Bristow who used one for flight displays, the
aircraft was heavily modified with a 600hp Wasp in a full NACA cowling, revised landing gear
with spatted gear and belly fittings for two JATO bottles.
The JATO bottles allowed near vertical take-offs.

The other aircraft was sold on went through the hands of numerous owners, at one time being
used as a crop-duster, this aircraft (Bu No 9241) is the aircraft that is in the NASM.

Jon

Daryl J.

Backdate it:

Tube and cloth construction from about the mid-chord of the lower wing to the far aft, tube and cloth tail empennage of different shape, removal of head fairing, some sort of more rudimentary propellor.    Tons of work but it might fly under the JMN radar for a bit.

Daryl J.

jcf

Quote from: Daryl J. on November 09, 2008, 12:59:05 PM
Backdate it:

Tube and cloth construction from about the mid-chord of the lower wing to the far aft, tube and cloth tail empennage of different shape, removal of head fairing, some sort of more rudimentary propellor.    Tons of work but it might fly under the JMN radar for a bit.

Daryl J.

Ya mean make it into an early P-12 or F4B?  :blink:

I suppose if one is going to go to the trouble to backdate the fuselage they could do the T-tail F4B-2:

Jon

Daryl J.

.....wow!   I never knew about those.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Too bad Boeing, GM, Ford, or Indian didn't have positions for engineers who would take their designs and retrograde them.........I might excel there.  :blink: :blink: :blink:

Daryl J.

Daryl J.

Update: 

Coming soon for the F4B-4, a new cowling and engine from Vector.    It'll compliment the metal winged Coastal Command one in the stash.   

Daryl J.

famvburg

Why corrugate the wings just to make it an early ag-plane? The early ones were fabric anyway. Many years ago, I modified a Matchbox 1/72 P-12 into a pseudo Grumman Ag-Cat. The resemblence is clear.

Quote from: Daryl J. on November 07, 2008, 10:32:27 AM
GTX said:
One that I rescued from being thrown into the bin by a guy at work - a Hasegawa 1/32 Boeing F4B-4  Any suggestions on what to do with it?  My ideas at is stage are:

RN FAA;
Remove undercarriage and make into Airship carried fighter;
Floatplane fighter;
something else???

How about corrugate both the upper and lower wings and make it an early ag plane?
What if there was a huge surplus of these available inexpensively and they filled an early role of aerobatic championship challenges?
How about making it a retractable with the baggy pot belly like Curtiss did?
Interim mail plane?
The FAA idea is awesome too as is the hookable airship fighter.  :thumbsup:
Coastal Command with Ex. Dk. Sea Grey, Dk. British Slate Grey, and white?

And you?

Daryl J.

Joe C-P

There was a thread some time back, one for which I've bought a model, of WW2 starting in the Pacific in the early 1930s, with the war in China growing out of control until the USN and RN clash with the IJN.
So you could paint these in mid-WW2 USN colours - solid deep sea blue like the Corsairs, or blue over white like some Hellcats, or the way I plan to paint my Helldiver - deep blue tops over light blue sides over white undersides.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Daryl J.

STOL wing, skiis for the Minnesota Air Interception Unit.    Squadron badge won't be a Lutefisk, however.