Centurion family of armored vehicles WHIFs

Started by GTX, November 08, 2008, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Since tanks seem to be the flavour of the moment, how about some Centurion Whiffs?  Here's a "Jagd Centurion" to start:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Just call me Ray

Centurion mobile armored Rapier launcher, with another Centurion with Blindfire all-weather fire control radar
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

Just call me Ray

Inspired by the French Pluton, the British decided to devise a way to put a Blue Streak on a Centurion hull, by redesigning the Blue Streak to accept a folding ventral fin and a trolley to support its mass.

And yes, this is (roughly) to scale.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

Just call me Ray

Maverick

Greg, the Cent whifs are quite nice.  The JagdCent is particularly neat.  When I first saw it, I thought it was a Challenger turret on the old girl  ;D

The Blue Steel TEL certainly looks the part now Ray.

Regards,

Mav

elmayerle

Ray, that TEL for the ground-launched Blue Steel looks superb, but you'd be better off with just two boosters than the configuration you've got.  Two boosters can have their thrust axis aligned through the cg of the overall vehicle while your set up doesn't and that leads to "interesting" aerodynamics and handling on launch.  I'm speaking from some experience here, having been involved with the boost system for a ground-launched missile.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

dy031101

Does anyone know the turret ring size of the 105mm-gun-armed versions of the Centurion tank?

Thanks in advance.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

rickshaw

Quote from: dy031101 on May 30, 2009, 11:30:32 PM
Does anyone know the turret ring size of the 105mm-gun-armed versions of the Centurion tank?

Thanks in advance.

It is the same as the 17 and 20 Pdr versions.  The Centurion turret ring did not change during its entire service life, even when it mounted a 165mm gun.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

dy031101

Quote from: rickshaw on May 30, 2009, 11:55:35 PM
It is the same as the 17 and 20 Pdr versions.  The Centurion turret ring did not change during its entire service life, even when it mounted a 165mm gun.

Okay then...... it turns out that I don't know the turret ring size of the Centurion tank, period......

Was just trying to be specific, but since the turret ring size remains the same across the board...... how large is the tank's turret ring?

Thanks in advance.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

rickshaw

Quote from: dy031101 on May 30, 2009, 11:59:02 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on May 30, 2009, 11:55:35 PM

Okay then...... it turns out that I don't know the turret ring size of the Centurion tank, period......

Was just trying to be specific, but since the turret ring size remains the same across the board...... how large is the tank's turret ring?

Thanks in advance.

My references say, 74 inches.

Just call me Ray

Quote from: elmayerle on November 11, 2008, 10:04:29 AM
Ray, that TEL for the ground-launched Blue Steel looks superb, but you'd be better off with just two boosters than the configuration you've got.  Two boosters can have their thrust axis aligned through the cg of the overall vehicle while your set up doesn't and that leads to "interesting" aerodynamics and handling on launch.  I'm speaking from some experience here, having been involved with the boost system for a ground-launched missile.

I don't know why I didn't reply to this back when it was relevant, but...if you look closely you'll see two boosters.

General Zod

I have the Squadron Signal book on the Centurion They mention the Mark IV variant It was to be armed with a 95mm howitzer for a close support tank One in four Centurions were to be armed like that But they were never made With the AFV Club Mark V dozer version out now,I could make it with the 95mm barrel If I could find an aftermarket 95mm barrel :banghead:
Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

rickshaw

Quote from: General Zod on June 06, 2009, 06:04:39 PM
I have the Squadron Signal book on the Centurion They mention the Mark IV variant It was to be armed with a 95mm howitzer for a close support tank One in four Centurions were to be armed like that But they were never made With the AFV Club Mark V dozer version out now,I could make it with the 95mm barrel If I could find an aftermarket 95mm barrel :banghead:

You could use one off any of the other British tanks armed with the 95mm CS How, such as the Tamiya Centaur.  Alternatively, I'm fairly sure there are aftermarket 95mm gun barrels around for it.

General Zod

Quote from: rickshaw on June 06, 2009, 08:06:17 PM
Quote from: General Zod on June 06, 2009, 06:04:39 PM

You could use one off any of the other British tanks armed with the 95mm CS How, such as the Tamiya Centaur.  Alternatively, I'm fairly sure there are aftermarket 95mm gun barrels around for it.
So far,the only AM 95mm barrel is from Accurate Armour But it comes with the breech,and some stuff for the turret I may e-mail them to see if I can just buy the barrel itself I have had no luck in finding a metal barrel for it
Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

NARSES2

Picked up a cheap Airfix Centurion the other day at Hendon - going to get the trailer from my Churchill Crocodile to become a flame thrower tank/gun tank. They were trialed I think but the Churchill was still considered ok at the time
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.