Centurion family of armored vehicles WHIFs

Started by GTX, November 08, 2008, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Aircav

Quote from: GTX on November 08, 2008, 08:35:15 PM
Since tanks seem to be the flavour of the moment, how about some Centurion Whiffs?  Here's a "Jagd Centurion" to start:

Regards,

Greg

Hi Greg
great idea, I think you'll have to lift the roof a little as you wouldn't be able to depress the gun much if you are shooting hull down from a reverse slope, just a thought.
All the best
Steve
;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

philp

I would actually lower the gun position.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

jcf

Not Whiffs, pics of Australian Centurions in Vietnam showing the various mods and the extensive kit added on by the crews.

from Vietnam Tracks

Jeffry Fontaine

My knowledge of the Centurion is limited and I found this ARV variant to be quite interesting.  Has there ever been a 1/35th scale model of this particular vehicle offered?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

dy031101

About the South African Olifant- the Mk.1 turret already looks appreciably different than those of the stock Centruions.  Is it a new design or just an up-armoured stock Centurion turret?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

rickshaw

Quote from: dy031101 on April 21, 2010, 08:31:21 AM
About the South African Olifant- the Mk.1 turret already looks appreciably different than those of the stock Centruions.  Is it a new design or just an up-armoured stock Centurion turret?

I understand it to be an uparmoured turret.

dy031101

Now that I think about it after recalling how the T-55 chassis was altered to accept a T-72 turret in the T-55M6 package, would the Centurion have been able to undergo a similar process to accept a Leopard 2 turret?

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

Well it looks like if I want to lengthen the hull à la T-55M6, I'd be adding two pairs of road wheels according to the way its suspension is...... and the hull would need to be widened, too- could that have been economically done in practice (just to be sure)?

The pics are taken from here...... yup, model pics, but I guess they do illustrate the visible aspects of the tank...... dang, I was thinking of a potential idea that also incorporates the turret components of Swiss Pz 87WE upgrade......  :banghead:

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

Uh-oh......

I'd very much love to be shown that I didn't do the chassis enough justice......

====================

To-do list here

MAD

Looks a beast!
Two additional road wheels and Leopard II turret!
That additional chassis length will add a bit of weight!
Have you change the powerpack? (Diesel I would hope!!! :o)

M.A.D

dy031101

Quote from: MAD on July 31, 2010, 08:06:58 PM
Looks a beast!
Two additional road wheels and Leopard II turret!
That additional chassis length will add a bit of weight!
Have you change the powerpack? (Diesel I would hope!!! :o)

I would hope that I was wrong about having to lengthen (as I said, it appears to me that adding one pair of suspension units nets me two extra road wheels on each side) or widen (unless it can be economically done in practice) the chassis to accommodate the Leopard II turret......  :banghead:

The petrol engine's gotta go- that's a given.  I assume it'd need more than the one adopted for the Israeli Sho't?

====================

To-do list here

rickshaw

Lengthening the hull in such a manner will run into the length-width ratio problem which was discovered with the Challenger tank destroyer in WWII.   Widening the hull is a non-trivial exercise.   In the end, it would more than likely be more economic to simply purchase Leopard IIs complete.  The cost of upgrading AFVs is usually prohibitive, unless there are no alternatives available.   As you seem to be suggesting that Leopard II turrets can be procured, then there are alternatives available.

dy031101

Quote from: rickshaw on July 31, 2010, 08:53:26 PM
The cost of upgrading AFVs is usually prohibitive, unless there are no alternatives available.

I know  ;D , grabbing the Leopard 2 and I skip the integration problem, but I was motivated by the asthetics and inspired by the T-55M6, and the Leopard 2 turret ring diametre is 100mm bigger than that of the Centurion......  :banghead:

====================

To-do list here