Thunderstreak build in progress

Started by BlackOps, November 09, 2008, 06:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackOps

I've been wanting to get some modeling time in for quite some time and today I actually got to play. I felt well enough to putter and it was raining outside so what more could I ask for. Now the question is which of my dozens of half finshed projects should I work on? I had a Thunderstreak I started in June that I put primer on so I decided to make a little more progress today.

The kit is a Monogram 1/48 Thunderstreak.

Here is where I left it in June

Here is what I got done today, 1st up sprayed all my zinc chromate green.

Did a little detail work on the interior landing gear bays.

Got the office put together and painted.

Wings all buttoned up, you know how it is, after you paint the detail you have to hide it away  ;D

And here is where I ended up for the day, hopefully I will get to do more soon.

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

On of my all-time favourite kits. Built four of them including a 'recent' What If.

Ian

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Jeffry Fontaine

What are your plans for arming this project?  The two 1000 pound bombs provided in the kit are excellent for that period of aircraft. 

The smaller fuel tanks in the kit are the perfect size for the centerline fuel tank on the USAF OV-10 Bronco.  All you need to find a a stores pylon to mount it on (I found the old Otaki 1/48th scale F-16 kit to be an excellent source for that centerline pylon). 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

sotoolslinger

COOL :o :mellow: Glad your are back to work  :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing how this progresses :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Brian da Basher

It's great to see you back at the bench, Black Ops! The Thunderstreak is a favorite of mine (love those early jets) and I think you're going to make a real beauty!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Any further progress on this one, BlackOps?  That cockpit is a real thing of beauty  :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Sweet. Nice spary work and the extra detailing is perfect. Tjose old Monogram kits are the cats meow. I've never built ( or even seen ! ) that particular one, but I've built my fair share of old 48th scale beauties....

Looking forward to seeing more !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

BlackOps

Thanks guys :)  I didn't get any work done this weekend, I went to the pistol range instead, but I'm hoping to work on it some this week.

It really is a very nice kit, great detail and nice fit, I'll for sure be looking for some more older Monagram kits.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.

BlackOps

Well, I didn't get much done over the four day weekend...errr well that's not true, besides eating too much, I trimmed the bushes, cleaned the raingutters, washed the outside windows, sprayed for bugs, mowed the lawn, put up exterior Christmas lights and decorations, etc., etc.  

I did get my fuselage sealed up and a little PSR done to it, next step will be to attach the wings and tail fins and more psr. Hope to work on it a little this week but I'm not gonna hold my breath

Not much to look at yet but here's a current pic.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

sotoolslinger

It strikes me that that plane is so sleek looking it would look neat with a MiG- 21 style shock cone in the intake :blink:
I amuse me.

Weaver

Quote from: sotoolslinger on December 01, 2008, 11:12:43 PM
It strikes me that that plane is so sleek looking it would look neat with a MiG- 21 style shock cone in the intake :blink:

Have a look at my Thunderdragons here:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20031.0.html

Okay so they're XF-91-based rather than F-84, but you get the idea......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

BlackOps

I got to put in a little more time on this one, and have made it pretty much to the paint prep stage.

I'm going to go with well weathered on this one, and am going to probably go with Zulu tribal markings or something similar as inspired by JHM's African Sabre he did way back when :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.

Brian da Basher

I'm really enjoying watching this one come together Black Ops! I think your choice of a third world user is perfect!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher