Milton Keynes show 2009

Started by Nick, November 10, 2008, 12:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

That blue airliner looks intriguing. What is it?

NARSES2

Well it was a good day I must admit. Got there a little late due to "planed engineering work" on both Tube and train. Then our Glorious Leader volunteered me as a judge. I was locked in the jury room for 2 hours ! We couldn't leave until the final category had been judged (48th and larger aircraft) as we all had to then vote on the overall champion. I honestly could not believe some of the judges had brought dental mirrors and miniature torches  :banghead: They were even checking the kids stuff with these ! I judged juniors 11 to 16. Some good stuff but as I did comment to an "official" , one category on the marking sheet was "construction", now how do you give a painted Games Workshop figure anything in that category ? His comment - "well give them 10 points" immediately kick's the kid out of contention. Obviously only a problem in a mixed class like the juniors. The other thing was that the Junior wiiners (2 age groups) were excluded from best of show just in case they one and upset some 50 year olds !!!!

Anyway got to the station at 16:45, got my train and got almost home. Then it snowed  :banghead: Must have had an inch in 15 minutes, seriously, anyone who knows London knows the transport system can't cope if it even thinks about snowing  :blink:

As I said good day  ;D

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 02, 2009, 04:39:35 AM
The other thing was that the Junior wiiners (2 age groups) were excluded from best of show just in case they one and upset some 50 year olds !!!!

This kind of thing really gets my goat.  I get annoyed at the attitude to kids at model shows.  People mention that it's terrible that the hobby might die out, that kids aren't interested these days (which in my opinion, is far from the truth).  Then those same people criticise the kids that do take part & if there is a prodidgy, take steps to actually prevent them from them from winning the overall title, God forbid if it's upsets someone!!!
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Aircav

Quote from: bexwh773 on February 01, 2009, 02:20:09 PM
And I found this funny little Chap lurking around  :o

Yep, you have watch out for him, he looks like someones taken his toys away.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Martin H

Quote from: Aircav on February 02, 2009, 09:13:50 AM
Quote from: bexwh773 on February 01, 2009, 02:20:09 PM
And I found this funny little Chap lurking around  :o

Yep, you have watch out for him, he looks like someones taken his toys away.

little?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on February 02, 2009, 03:56:13 AM
That blue airliner looks intriguing. What is it?

Ah yes, that's KLM's second A390-200, complete with the Promenade Deck at the front of the upper deck.

It's two Belugas end to end (not that you'd ever guess of course......) with the cockpit 'de-snooted', lengthened A330 wings with two sets of engines fitted, plus a 747 fin and DC-10 tailplane. The landing gear uses A330, A340 and Beluga bits and it consumed a whole year's production of window decals..... :)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Unfortunately,

Radish

Good to see some civil whiffs on there....gets me thinking...mmmmmmm :thumbsup:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

nev

I don't know whose or what this is - but it looks awfully like The Thing I'm Not Allowed To Say :o
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Martin H

thats beast hails from our very own PR19Kit (aka Kit Spackman). Ill let him fill u in on the details.

And despite the fact it was tucked away at the back of the display, it was the subject of more questions than anything else on the table.
Unfortunately,

Aircav

Nice looking Horten, I had an idea about a BEA Boeing 737 in the red and black but I think that may of been done already, also thought about a crome silver Space marines drop pod which hasn't been done, well not yet anyway  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

PR19_Kit

Quote from: nev on February 03, 2009, 04:33:27 AM
I don't know whose or what this is - but it looks awfully like The Thing I'm Not Allowed To Say :o

As Martin says, I'm afraid that one is down to me. (What aren't you allowed to say anyway?)

It's a Grumman S-4B Sentinal. The original S-4A was built in competition to Lockheed's S-3 Viking and when the S-3 ran into problems the USN asked Grumman to upgrade the S-4 improve its performance, which is why it's been their main anti-submarine aircraft to this day.........  -_-

The model is a real Spares Box Special, the fuselage obviously coming from a E-2 Hawkeye, with a fin and ECM fairing from an EF-111 Sparkvark, which in turn supports the 1/144 scale Boeing 767 tailplane. Revell also provided the engines, from an A330 this time, and the u/c fairings came from an Airfix 1/48 Tornado. The u/c wells and cockpit interiors came from a Hobbycraft MV-22, and the u/c itself from an old Fujumi 1/80 scale F-8 Crusader. The best bits are the wings, which were donated by a Hawk 1/126 scale Convair 800 and turned upside down to give a supercritical wing section. :)

The 880 also provided the fuselage extension, but this time the right way up.

I entered it in the Mushroom Monthly Trophy in 2001, but when we were packing up some gawp knocked it over and broke off all the wing stores, landing gear and engines. I repaired it last week so MK was only its second showing.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nev

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2009, 01:50:02 PM
Quote from: nev on February 03, 2009, 04:33:27 AM

As Martin says, I'm afraid that one is down to me. (What aren't you allowed to say anyway?)

Old Timers on this board know what The Thing I'm Not Allowed to Say is ;)  Its an old swear filter that Supertom put in years ago - for 2 words that can be used in the most innocuous way.  For example, you could say that all the extra weight in the car was very The Thing I'm Not Allowed To Say the tires
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

gunfighter

Martin H

Unfortunately,