Bungle saying Hi for the first time.

Started by Bungle, November 13, 2008, 04:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungle

Salutations Gentlemen and (hopefully) Ladies,

I thought I would intoduce myself and throw myself on your mercy. I don't want to come blundering on to an established forum with my inept offerings and cause offence so hopefully I can prepare the ground and dip my toe in the water so to speak. (Fine use of mixed metaphors !)

My nickname has been Bungle for many. many years and yes I'm big and hairy. I remember Rainbow but as a teenager when it started so yes I am now a crumbly !(for those not into UK ChildrensTV programs Bungle was one of three 'puppets' and stars of Rainbow from 1972 to 1992)

Like many youngster I made Airfix and Frog models and played my own games with them but as I grew older the lure of sports, women and alcohol took over. Conclusion..... should have stuck to modelling ! So now I'm in my 50's, I began modelling again about 5 years ago when sport injuries had me going under the knife, last year I had two major ops and now I can't even chase after the women ! and the alcohol is a big no, no. The truth is my modelling is no where to the standard of what I've seen on the forum. I do it now for relaxation and my own personal enjoyment. 90% of the kits I make are out of the box, limited space means I tend to photograph them and then pass them to the grand kids to dispose of (I hate to think how). I do an hour a night, more at the weekend but I'm getting bored of the out of the box idea. So Gentlemen and Ladies I'm looking for inspiration.

I'm hoping that, with your kind reassurance, it won't matter if I put the wrong squadron markings on a Jaguar because I've misplaced the originals. Can i just imagine 'What if it flew in that squadron' .....? I will also apologise that arthritis means I do not go into super detailing and the paint work looks more like a load of Pollock than a Rembrant. So if you don't mind me plagerising your ideas, stealing your thunder and insulting the noble art of modelling, perhaps you'll let me sit in the corner and whimper contentedly.

Here's a sample of my 'work'

An Avro Arrow 'What if' it was still in service....

Canadian lo-vis decals (Leading Edge 60th Anniversary CF-18) Hobbycraft kit with a new canopy.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Nick

Hi Bungle! That Arrow looks pretty good from where I'm sitting, is probably better than my stuff! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the madhouse, hope you like pork pies and twiglets..... :party:

The Rat

Bungle, anyone who introduces themselves with an Arrow goes immediately to the head of the class.

I think my fellow Canuckleheads will support my nomination for you as another Honourary Canadian!  :thumbsup:

Just think, if you had been born maybe fifteen years earlier your nickname might have been 'Sooty'!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Hobbes

Bungle, welcome to the forum.

QuoteThe truth is my modelling is no where to the standard of what I've seen on the forum. I do it now for relaxation and my own personal enjoyment.

No worries, we welcome every contribution, no matter to what standard of finish.

QuoteI'm hoping that, with your kind reassurance, it won't matter if I put the wrong squadron markings on a Jaguar because I've misplaced the originals. Can i just imagine 'What if it flew in that squadron' .....?

Again, no worries, basically everything goes around here. To quote one of our members, "Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades" and we enjoy all of them, from Jaguars with alternate markings to completely scratchbuilt flights of fancy.

I like your Arrow! The new canopy looks just right.

Ed S

Hi Bungle.  Welcome to the wacky world of What If.  Nice looking arrow.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Howard of Effingham

nice way to introduce yourself!  :thumbsup:

what's next?
Keeper of George the Cat.

Captain Canada

That has got to be the best intro yet ! You'd think it was the Arrow that got me, but you had me at alcohol.

:wub:

It's a shame that you can't indulge anymore.....some of our best work here comes with a good buzz !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Bungle

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the kind comments. I have to admit the Arrow photographs well ! I don't have a lot of What If's but should I post them in this thread or start a fresh one for each ?

In the meantime I had some leftover decals from the Arrow build so as an "Honourary Canadian" in the making I'll add this little What If.

Kit is a Frog Hawker Sea Fury dressed in Canadian Lo-Vis.....
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Maverick

Welcome Bungle,

The Arrow & Sea Fury are nifty looking to be sure.

Might I suggest following the Profile threads or checking the Gallery for inspiration?

Regards,

Maverick

GTX

Welcome abaord - I wouldn't be too concerned, it takes a lot to upset us (after Radish's pics, anything is mild...)

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Eddie M.

You're doing quite well from where I sit. It looks like you'll be providing ideas for the rest of us! Welcome aboard and glad to have you about. ;D
Look behind you!

BlackOps

Bungle, welcome to the wonderful world of what if  ;D  Looks like you'll fit nicely in the corner over here, do try to keep the whimpering to a reasonable level so as to not drown out the whimpering from the other corner dwellers. 

Looks like you've got some nice models, and you've definately come to the right place for inspiration and just plain ol good ideas to "borrow".

Make sure you check out all the different areas of the forum, and as Maverick suggested if your looking for ideas the profiles section is a good place to start as is the alternate history section.

Hope to see more of your work soon  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

cthulhu77

Welcome to the nuthouse !  A friendlier bunch of abstract modelers you will never meet.  :cheers:
Just build something with spats on it, and you'll be in like Flint !

Greg