Recovering an Arado AR-234B from the Junk Box

Started by mcollazo, November 13, 2008, 01:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcollazo

As you may know I've been working on restoring Junk Box models supplied by TigerCat2.  Well among the goodies in the box was one of my favorite planes the AR-234.  The Arado were built as reconnaissance aircraft but Hitler said they were bombers well guess what if the guy wants bombs he gets bombs!

I started by sorting what I had to work with and I had two full models Green and Tan, I liked the green model as it had the flaps already lowered (so shoot me I'm lazy).  But there was too much battle damage to easily repair so that one will get worked on later, the tan model had battle damage but it was of a kind easier to repair.

I had two pods (one from each plane) one with BD and one without.  So.. into the sprue we go.

This is a quick update as to the finished products of these builds.  As you saw from the earlier photos these guys were in very sad shape.  Here is the end result.

[imghttp://www.mayordomia.net/JunkBoxModels/AR235/IMG_0011.JPG[/img]http://This the other Arado that was in better shape that I covered earlier, this time in a walkaround view.

For the curious that do notice the difference on the engine pods, I only had pods for one Arado.  So... Junk box where are you?  Drop Tanks!  I cut off the nose and tail of two droptanks and voila!  a Jet Pod is born.  well not eactly but a reasonable facsimile until another donor is found.

Leave comments....
Manuel Collazo
Licensed Minister of Stewardship Education and Development
Christian Church in Florida (Disciples of Christ)
895 N. Jericho Drive
Casselberry, FL  32707
Phone:  407-699-5036
Cell:       321-946-0453
Fax:        866- 739-9257
email:   manuel.collazo@mac.com

mcollazo

I used hot sprue almost to the point of catching on fire (see caveats in the other article) and plugged it into the battle damage holes, now these were big holes and it took a lot of hot sprue to plug.  I cut the sprue until I had the holes covered.  From there it was back to the old dremel sanding drum and I sanded down the excess sprue flush with the wing.

After sanding we were ready to paint and I took a scheme from an ME109 fighter that I built on a previous life.

The results speak for themselves.  Remember hot sprue is hot plastic it will catch on fire, it will burn you so handle with care.  If you don't want to handle hot plastic with bare hands putty from one of the many vendors out there works fine too it just has a longer wait time until it dries (which is not a bad thing).

Enjoy.
Manuel Collazo
895 N. Jericho Drive
Casselberry, FL  32707

sequoiaranger

It looks like a Lindberg, too!

I am going to do a "resurrection" one of these days, and hope I can make one as nice as yours. Good job!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Just call me Ray

It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

pyro-manic

Well done! I like the "sprue as filler" technique - I haven't seen that before. :thumbsup:

The camo is cool too. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

tigercat2

These were both Lindberg AR-234s done in about 1970, and about 10 years ago were the subject of several "battle damage tests" done with my son (11 years old at the time).  Never thought they would see the light of day again, and I still can't believe the result!!

Wes W.

BlackOps

Wes, it's nice to see these models returning to glory  :thumbsup: I too hadn't heard of the hot sprue trick, and am kind of intrigued.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

illithid00

That's really cool! Great rebuild, and I'll have to give that hot sprue trick a shot sometime.

B777LR

That came out really nice! :thumbsup: Looking forwards to seeing more of you stuff
:cheers:

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

Very cool.  This kind of restoration is beyond my abilities and patience, though.  Do you accept donations of other "junkbox" kits?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

devil505

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory..Lasts forever.

mcollazo

Manuel Collazo
895 N. Jericho Drive
Casselberry, FL  32707

sotoolslinger

Do you have enough room for the mounds of broken models you are about to receive  :huh: ;D :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

mcollazo

There are always walls to line up with models.  But that's another article!
Manuel Collazo
895 N. Jericho Drive
Casselberry, FL  32707