ACE COMBAT HANGAR - The thread for Ace Combat series models

Started by Benjo, November 14, 2008, 12:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madcatter

I've been considering smashing an X-02 together using a DML YF-23 as a base, I just can't bring myself to destroy a perfectly good F-23.  Another fear I have of getting a good start on making something completely FUBAR just in time for someone to release a ready-to-build-kit.  Same reason my vac kits sit around collecting dust.
-N8

My contribution (though not fully based on AC, it was directly inspired by it).  Still putting thought into markings.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Benjo on November 16, 2008, 10:28:40 PM
Yeah, WE REALLY do need a good morgan kit.
I'd like to make my own. might cast it and circulate a few. i have a flanker donor kit ready. 1/72 scale.

How would you do it? Or any of the AC aircraft like the Morgan,X0-2 and others? I'm curious to hear everyone's ideas. A Flanker seems like the best start for the Morgan, and i blew up some 3 views of an X-02 and the nose/front (put at the proper angle) seemed close to an F-15 and F-18 i put next to it.

Also, great models folks!! Benjo i saw yours on ARC earlier and they are incredible! how do you do your Airbrush work? what is the "trick"?

And Madcatter that X-29 is awesome!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

madcatter

F-29!!! ;D

And, by my experience the best way to learn airbrush tricks is to fail, a lot.  Learning what doesn't work teaches you what does.  If you don't stumble around you'll never get any better.  Trust me, I've spent plenty of time scratching my head trying to figure it out too.
-N8

Atlantis

Quote from: madcatter on November 17, 2008, 07:12:17 PM
F-29!!! ;D

And, by my experience the best way to learn airbrush tricks is to fail, a lot.  Learning what doesn't work teaches you what does.  If you don't stumble around you'll never get any better.  Trust me, I've spent plenty of time scratching my head trying to figure it out too.
-N8

The was a an aircraft called the F-29E mentioned in the book Contact (by Carl Sagn) that set off some of the Radio telescopes in New Mexico. 

sv51macross

Benjo, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!!!!

Benjo

Quote from: sv51macross on November 17, 2008, 08:28:11 PM
Benjo, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!!!!

Lol dude! pleeeeeeze what? u want a morgan? theres at least one than. hehe

With the airbrushing, theres heaps and heaps of tricks.
Next time i start one, ill take the step by step pics if youre interested. All i can say is, just do it, even if it looks bad to start with, they all do. the more layers, the better. Just to start and practice, make the areas around the panel lines slightly darker than the middle of the panels. when you get this, u can make your own variations looking at photos of real aircraft. Mix bits of black, browns in small amounts while you do your model. Just one plain color never quite looks right. and make sure you include subtle sun highlights with shades slightly lighter. As light doesnt have the same effect on models as it does on full life things....If you play games, look at the textures of the 3d models. they must do exactly what we modellers do, except its on computer. Thats where i get my inspiration from.

Benny
Being creative can be a gift - And a curse...

Taiidantomcat

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

madcatter

"u want a morgan? theres at least one than. hehe"

Make it 2!
-N8

Taiidantomcat

Sisko

Nice models and the paint work is first rate! :thumbsup:

I know almost nothing about the game they are from but I do like what I see. :wub:

What's a morgan? I know Morgan as a british car company ;D

http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Taiidantomcat

Just call me Ray

Quote from: madcatter on November 17, 2008, 03:19:30 PM
I've been considering smashing an X-02 together using a DML YF-23 as a base, I just can't bring myself to destroy a perfectly good F-23.  Another fear I have of getting a good start on making something completely FUBAR just in time for someone to release a ready-to-build-kit.  Same reason my vac kits sit around collecting dust.

I don't know, you might be able to use some of the rear top quarterpanel of the YF-23 and that's it.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

Benjo

Quote from: madcatter on November 17, 2008, 03:19:30 PM
-N8

Hey, I sacraficed a good 1/48 Su-27 and a 1/48 F-111 to make my berkut!!!!!!!!!!
And, will soon sacrifice another su-27 to make the morgan! Except, i think ill sacrifice my 1/72 kit, so i can use the 1/48 F-111 leftover engine nozzles to make those MASSIVE engines.

Benjo

Having said that...

What about the canopy guys. I am no Vac former, do you care if i cast the body with clear resin, so that you can have some kind of transparent canopy? Ill work it out as i make it, if the canopy will be one peice with the body or not. It will change how the plug is built thats all.
Please understand it is a garage kit and there will be some things we need to go without. I will do my best to add an undercarriage though, setting it apart from all the previuos ones that ive seen.

I have worked it out, flanker is the best kit for the job. Ive seen some other builds and the noses are all very flanker ish. Ill make a new nose though, as it does look longer and thinner.... I have an old broken 1/72 flanker put aside, lucky i never chucked it out yet. There are also some F-18isms in the morgan as well... i have an f-18 also to donate. we have the technology people! hope no1 beats me to it though huh???   :mellow:

Benny

Benjo

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on November 18, 2008, 04:29:35 PM
ADFX-01 Morgan

Hey, thanks for sharing those pics. theyre good especially the top veiw of solo wings one.

Hey, i forgot, has anybody got a pic of the 'special' scheme for the F-15E from Ace combat Zero???????????????????