What if A10 Thunderbolts were exported?

Started by Hman, November 14, 2008, 01:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Quote from: Gondor on May 11, 2020, 02:01:22 PM
Sweeden sounds good in an anti-shipping/invasion role with wooded island and forests would make the low level high maneuvering abilities of the A-10 a reasonable fit for the job.

Gondor

Not to mention the rough field capabilities to meet the Bas 60 dispersal scheme of the Swedish AF.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Dizzyfugu

;D

Beyond that, Sweden actually worked on its own "Baby A-10" for a while, the SAAB B3LM, with the support from Fairchild, hence the similarity:

Dizzyfugu

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 12, 2020, 12:11:36 AM

;D

Does it come in a flat pack, and how many spare bombs do you get with it?  ;D ;)

Beyond that, Sweden actually worked on its own "Baby A-10" for a while, the SAAB B3LM, with the support from Fairchild, hence the similarity:

I LIKE that, and it really should be modelled. A very neat looking device.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Did someone do one in 1/100th?  Start with that.

I always fancied doing one in RAF markings, Operation Telic colours and with a warrior "kill" marking under the nose.  The backstory being that the pilot was related to one of the guys killed in the 1991 friendly fire incident and he wanted payback.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Dizzyfugu

There is a 1:100 snap-fit A-10 from Revell that could be used as a starting point (the size would match well in 1:72), but there's a lot to modify. However, it's one of those paper aircraft I'd like to see a model from. The unrealized Saab 38 is another such candidate.

Old Wombat

I think I have one in the stash to become an Australian Army Aviation bird.

With everything from vast open plains to (modest) mountain terrain, the pilots would need a broad skill-set & be able to hide behind clumps of grass & termite mounds to sneak up on the enemy.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

If they flew low enough they could hide behind any passing 'roos surely?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

comrade harps

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 12, 2020, 03:28:53 AM

With everything from vast open plains to (modest) mountain terrain, the pilots would need a broad skill-set & be able to hide behind clumps of grass & termite mounds to sneak up on the enemy.

Could have an awesome camouflage though, like the TurboPorter or Nomad.  :wub:
Whatever.

Snowtrooper

Since lately there was some talk of the US offering F-16C's from the Boneyard refurbished & upgraded to F-16V standards for sale to Vietnam, why not A-10's from said source too?

Doug K

That confirms my suspicion, a neat little design

Mossie

BAC proposed a version too, the P.101 Blitz, based on the Jet Provost.  It had a new single seat fuselage, A-10 like tail and engine arrangement (single engine proposals were also looked at) and a GAU-13 cannon.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: comrade harps on May 12, 2020, 03:55:04 AM

;D

Mossie

It's in Chris Gibson's Typhoon to Typhoon, worth picking up if you've got a bit of spare cash.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Doug K

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 15, 2020, 12:11:51 AM
Quote from: comrade harps on May 12, 2020, 03:55:04 AM

;D

Oh now that is very cool