WWI Era Armor - Real and WHIF

Started by Andrew Gorman, November 17, 2008, 07:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Quote from: Rheged on April 17, 2024, 03:56:33 AMI've sometimes considered purloining a British WW1 light tank from Rheged minor's stash and building it as an ice cream vendor  I suppose I'd have to call it "Mr Whippet"  ices.

Sorry, Chris, I know that's getting close to another entry in THE BOOK

Be perfect for a NAAFI/AAFES field food truck (aka the infamous "Roach Coach")
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on April 17, 2024, 03:56:33 AMI've sometimes considered purloining a British WW1 light tank from Rheged minor's stash and building it as an ice cream vendor  I suppose I'd have to call it "Mr Whippet"  ices.

Actually I find that quite amusing. Just wonder how many of us are old enough to get it ?  :angel:  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 17, 2024, 06:25:18 AM

Actually I find that quite amusing. Just wonder how many of us are old enough to get it ?  :angel:  ;D

Pick me! ;D

Yum! :mellow:

They don't make soft-serve ice cream like that any more. :(
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 17, 2024, 08:34:41 AMYum! :mellow:

Always prefered slightly "crisp" soft scoop rather than out of the machine. We had an Italian family run ice cream shop in our local market in the 50/60's and it was  :wub:  :wub:  My dad had gone to school with their two sons in the 30's so we got a discount  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 17, 2024, 08:34:41 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 17, 2024, 06:25:18 AM

Pick me! ;D

Yum! :mellow:

No, truth in advertising legislation means it has to have a higher food content now... ;D

It's all waffle cones and gelato these days but you really can't beat the old style soft serve in an old style cone (just what were they made of?) with a flake jammed in the top.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

buzzbomb

Back into this thread.

Use of tanks of this era continued on for some time.
A diorama of actual events that I finished last year.
Testing of the prototype Bailey Bridge Concept early in WW2. Can't get enough weight ? Stack 'em up  ;D

The real deal. Used a Mk V** tank that had be a development vehicle for bridge laying and recovery roles

PR19_Kit

Interesting, where did they do those tests?

The very first trials section of Bailey Bridge is about 1.5 miles away from my house, it forms the barrier between the car park and the offices at Mabey & Johnson's plant in Lydney where Bailey Bridges were built.

And here's my Subaru Legacy, my company car in 2007, parked right up against it.  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: buzzbomb on April 18, 2024, 05:02:15 PMBack into this thread.

Testing of the prototype Bailey Bridge Concept early in WW2. Can't get enough weight ? Stack 'em up  ;D

That's a tremendous build  :bow:

Rheged

One can safely state that Donald Bailey got it right with this design!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

RAFF-35

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 17, 2024, 02:37:02 AMThose amphibs look amazing, were they an RW project or completely from your head? I like the snorkels sticking out of the top.  ;D

That's very kind of you, thank you very much!

Yes and no. There was a real world amphibious personnel carrier called the Mk.IX "Duck." The initial seed for this idea was that I wanted to mount a gun at the front of a Male tank but needed to think of a reason for doing so. I then thought that an amphibious tank would need the gun there so that it was above the waterline. I took some design ideas from the real world Mk.IX  to make mine more plausible.
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

PR19_Kit

GOOD thinking!  :thumbsup:

I've just realised what the 'flappy bits' are on the tracks too, they provide the drive when it's afloat of course.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I wasn't aware of the Mk IX "Duck".  Just proves you're never to old to learn  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 19, 2024, 05:36:39 AM

Looks even better in the flesh.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on April 20, 2024, 04:12:50 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 19, 2024, 05:36:39 AM

Looks even better in the flesh.

This is true! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est