S-2 Jet Tracker Coin Bird.

Started by chrisonord, November 22, 2008, 05:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Well after telling everyone about this I thought I had better put some pictures up of what i have done so far, she is not finished yet, and is on her 3rd paint job, so it might look different when actually finished. I had some real problems getting the canopy to fit properly so it now loks like a dogs dinner, but I think it will have to do. Let me know what you think. By the way the engine cowls are off an airfix IL-28, and the nozzles from a AH-1 super cobra. The idea is to have the turbo fans deep inside sound moderated pods so as to make the plane near silent, and have a low IR signature.

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

van883

cthulhu77

bobbo

Outstanding!  In the first photo it looks like it's rotated just prior to actually getting airborne . . .

Bobbo

Ed S

Looks good.  Great use of an S-2.  I like the splinter camo.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

The Rat

WOW, a Stoof on steroids, I LOVE it!  :thumbsup: :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Taiidantomcat

:wub: this is soo cool! Excellent idea and great camo job  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

BlackOps

I never would have thought of an S-2 in a coin role but I think it looks pretty cool. I really like the muffled turbofan idea.  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

chrisonord

I am glad you like it, it isn't quite finished yet, I am not happy with the way the standard landing gear has come out, I would have preffered the back end to a lot higher so it would be ok on rough airstrips. But, they are way to fiddly and fragile to alter. I was thinking that the aircraft would be re-winged with a modern stronger composite wing, so as to carry more ordinance and fuel. The weapons bay is converted to carry more fuel in armoured fuel cells. The plane can be a multi mission aircraft, as it can stay airborne for long periods of time. The rear compartment where the other crew are can be fitted out with electronic warfare equipment, or as a forward air controller by use of a plug and play electronics package, that can be swapped over with an hour.The fixed cannon is a Bushmaster cannon, this can be used on armour, buildings and shipping if necessary along with the helfire missiles.

GTX

Those engine pods almost look like the RR Pegusus ones off the Do-31 at first glance.  Could do a version like that for a VTOL variant.

Great work.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

The first thing that I thought of when I saw that first image was why did you not do a bit of "cross-dressing" between the S-2 Tracker and the E-2 Hawkeye?  It would have been a match made in heaven with the turbine engines and wings from the E-2 attached to the S-2 since it has the bomb bay.  That of course would require plenty of cashola to make it all come together.  Perhaps your next project could involve both subjects with similar results?  I like the addition of the wing tip mounted tanks which really improve the appearance and add a coolness factor surpassed only by spats. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Maverick

Nifty stuff or should I say Stoof.  Gotta love Co-In birds!!!

Regards,

Mav

Shasper

Luvly!!!

Just a thought here, but whatabout rearranging the mains so they are mounted at the aft end of the engine pods folding fwd instead of the stock config? That might give the aft end enough clearence & eliminate the aft-CG issue . . .

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

chrisonord

I dont really want to start chopping any more out of it if I can help it, maybe I could cut the landing gear struts and sleeve some plastic tube in to make them longer. I will keep looking at that one.
Chris.

jcf

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on November 22, 2008, 03:33:05 PM
The first thing that I thought of when I saw that first image was why did you not do a bit of "cross-dressing" between the S-2 Tracker and the E-2 Hawkeye?  It would have been a match made in heaven with the turbine engines and wings from the E-2 attached to the S-2 since it has the bomb bay.  That of course would require plenty of cashola to make it all come together.  Perhaps your next project could involve both subjects with similar results?  I like the addition of the wing tip mounted tanks which really improve the appearance and add a coolness factor surpassed only by spats. 

The result would be much like the, proposed and almost procured, S2F-4.

Jon