Most beautiful aircraft. Nominate one. Or more.

Started by SSgt Baloo, November 22, 2008, 06:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedarkmaster

I always come back to Hunters, Victors, Vulcans, Comets  :wub:  :wub: :wub: but the rest I can't say it changes with my mood, what aircraft I've seen recently and what I'm modelling at the time or have plans for.

My list today would change as i made it and I'd miss something off  :banghead:  :banghead:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

jcf

Quote from: Nils on February 13, 2010, 12:04:30 PM
i found a new favorite seaplane design today, it was the Savoia S-21 from the anime "Porco Rosso"

Ahh yes, Miyazaki's take on the lovely Macchi M.33:

http://www.hydroretro.net/coupeen/avions/m33.html

The real S.21 was not quite so lovely:

However, Savoia's S.51 is one of the prettiest biplanes:
http://www.hydroretro.net/coupeen/avions/savoias51.html

kitbasher

Prettiest?  DH 88 Comet.
Most beautiful?  Spitfire PR.19 and Hunter F.5.
Most handsome?  Sea Fury, P-51D and FW190D-9.
Butchest?  Buccaneer S2 and Spey Phantom.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on February 13, 2010, 02:24:14 PM
Quote from: B787 on February 13, 2010, 01:22:32 PMNonsense, all Hunters are aestheic pleasures! F-86s too :wub:

Sir,
I really wish I was as certain about anything as you appear to be about everything :bow:

Ian

Ah the certainties of youth  ;D

Porco Rosso was on Film 4 yesterday Saturday 13/02). Never seen it, so recorded it  :thumbsup: Beautiful airplanes  :wub:. Being repeated latter in the week I think.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Aircav

Its back on Film4 on Friday, 19th Feb at 12.45pm  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Daryl J.

And, Nils, are you aware of Fine Molds kits of the two main Porco Rosso aircraft in both 1/72 and 1/48 scale?  They're beautiful kits.

:cheers:, (darjeeling with cream and sugar today)
Daryl J.

TallEng

Jet= Hawker Hunter Prototype in Duck Egg Green, Purity of the design!
Airliner= DH Flamingo
Bi-plane= Fairy Fantome
Piston Engined= Martin-Baker MB-5
unless of course I change my mind!! :rolleyes:
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

deathjester

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: Aircav on February 14, 2010, 12:05:57 PM
Its back on Film4 on Friday, 19th Feb at 12.45pm  ;D
alright, looks like a good oportunity to extensivly test my new video capture card  ;D

Quote from: Daryl J. on February 14, 2010, 05:47:58 PM
And, Nils, are you aware of Fine Molds kits of the two main Porco Rosso aircraft in both 1/72 and 1/48 scale?  They're beautiful kits.

:cheers:, (darjeeling with cream and sugar today)
Daryl J.
yes, i am aware of the good looking finemolds kits, but they are a bit hard to find and quite expensive.
but one day when my ship comes in, i might get one, or scratchbuild one  ;D

on topic:
while wer speaking of seaplanes, another looker is the Supermarine S6B

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

Nils,

I hate to say this (I'm almost in JMN mode in fact  ;D) but that's an S5 you've pictured there.

The S5 had the W12 Napier Lion engine and the S6 and S6B had the Rolls-Royce V12 R Types. The centre cylinder head bulge was absent from the S6 series.

This is an S6B, albeit an Airfix kit, I can't find an RW piccie that's taken from a high enough vantage point to show the fuselage top.

Having said all that, the S5 was a cracking looking aircraft nonetheless, prettier than the S6 to my mind.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Of course the S.4 was the prettiest of the Supermarine racers.  ;D

1/32nd scale Marsh Models kit  :wub:

PR19_Kit

... and the Gloster VI was even prettier than that, especially as they painted it gold!  :lol: ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 15, 2010, 04:00:49 PM
... and the Gloster VI was even prettier than that, especially as they painted it gold!  :lol: ;D
No argument from this quarter.  ;D

To be pedantic on the colours:
N249 was old-gold with blue floats
N250 had old-gold wings; Cambridge Blue fuselage, fin and struts; white floats and natural copper radiators.  :wub:

lancer

Quote from: Aircav on February 14, 2010, 12:05:57 PM
Its back on Film4 on Friday, 19th Feb at 12.45pm  ;D
Sweet, if I'm back from outpaients in time I'll sit down and watch it.

Favourite aircraft -
Spitfire
Hurricane, esp the IIc and IID
Mosquito
Hornet, the proper one
Beaufighter
The FW 190 series
Junkers JU88 series

Me262
Meteor

Hunter
all varients

Lightning

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Jeffry Fontaine

When is the author of this discussion topic going to establish a poll for all of the submissions for the title of "Most Beautiful Aircraft"? 

Perhaps this could become an annual event?  Either way the suggestions should end with a poll at some point soon so that we can all celebrate. 

My input:

SARO Princess

Republic Rainbow

Martin B-57 Canberra
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg