Main Menu

S-3K Viking

Started by MartG, November 23, 2008, 12:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartG

In the late '70s it was relised that using the long range Nimrod to patrol coastal waters was a waste of valuable resources. While the BN Defender could patrol the coastline for surface craft, something else was needed for the medium range maritime patrol task. A modified version of the S-3 Viking was selected. As the aircraft would always operate from land bases, many of the carrier features such as folding wings could be deleted to save weight & cost - the non-folding wings also allowing the fitting of a second pair of stores pylons on the outer wings. The inner pylons were capable of carrying a range of stores such as the Martel ARM missiles seen below, while the outer ones were often used to carry Sea Skua missiles.

Hasegawa kit, extra pylons inspired by Jeff Fontaine ( sorry Jeff, couldn't resist building this after you mentioned your project )

Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

The Rat

I'm off to the store to get some wool, I'm taking up knitting.

THIS MAN IS A WHIFFING FACTORY!  :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

chrisonord

I like that, it is a very viable option and the aircraft is one of my favourite planes. I did have 2 Hasegawa kits of it until they got stolen out of my lockup, and I think they are just too expensive as a kit to buy now. A stretched fuselage S-3 would look good as a land based patrol aircraft don't you think?
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: MartG on November 23, 2008, 12:00:10 PMHasegawa kit, extra pylons inspired by Jeff Fontaine ( sorry Jeff, couldn't resist building this after you mentioned your project )

Martin,

Martin, What pylons did you use for your outboard stores stations?  I don't recognize them from the images. 

No need for apologies, I am happy as a lark to see one of my ideas put to solid matter.  This is one of the reasons I like to share ideas with this forum, no matter how daft or detailed it is always good to see it taken to completion.  Your placement of the pylons pretty much matches up what I had in mind.  The real difference is that I want to pursue this in 1/48th scale so the smaller pylons would represent or convey that they would be capable of carrying less weight than the larger pylons adjacent to them.  Still makes my day to see this in real instead of my imagination. 

Thank you. 

Quote from: chrisonord on November 23, 2008, 01:39:51 PMI like that, it is a very viable option and the aircraft is one of my favourite planes. I did have 2 Hasegawa kits of it until they got stolen out of my lockup, and I think they are just too expensive as a kit to buy now. A stretched fuselage S-3 would look good as a land based patrol aircraft don't you think?

Chris,

Have you checked out the S-3 Viking discussion in the hot topics forum board? Some of your ideas have already been under discussion and you are more than welcome to join in. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Taiidantomcat

nice job!  :thumbsup: even this yankee recognized the unique Hemp color
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

NARSES2

Most things look good in Hemp, but that's just stunning  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Howard of Effingham

very nice indeedy!  :thumbsup:

its also nice to see someone using sea skua ASM's on a fixed wing aircraft too.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 24, 2008, 01:27:05 AMMost things look good in Hemp, but that's just stunning  :bow:
Smoking hemp makes most things look good :)

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on November 24, 2008, 02:09:08 AM
very nice indeedy!  :thumbsup:

its also nice to see someone using sea skua ASM's on a fixed wing aircraft too.
The Sea Skau as offered in the Italeri 1/72nd scale weapons set is a poor representation of that missile.  Are there any other sources for the Sea Skau?  In particular a 1/48th scale Sea Skau?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

The Rat

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on November 24, 2008, 05:04:03 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 24, 2008, 01:27:05 AMMost things look good in Hemp, but that's just stunning  :bow:
Smoking hemp makes most things look good :) :

Yeah, but then I tend to eat the model after a while.  :blink:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sotoolslinger

That is just very cool :wub: :thumbsup: Looks very useful ;D
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Sisko

Looks very nice in that colour! :thumbsup:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Eddie M.

Good to see the Hoover dressed up in some different colors! Great work!!
Look behind you!

GTX

Top notch! :thumbsup:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Howedar

Why not cover the arrestor hook bay for reduced drag?

ysi_maniac

Smart and beautiful indeed. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.