1/72 Kartvelishvili Kondorski from the classic Revell P-26

Started by Brian da Basher, November 23, 2008, 02:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

In 1922, Alexander Kartvelishvili returned to his native Georgia after completing his aircraft enginering studies in Paris to establish an aircraft company in Tblisi. Kartvelishvili's skills were desperately needed because even thought the White Russian forces had managed to hold on in their fight against the Reds, victory seemed far off. Kartvelishvili initially started by re-building and refurbishing war-wron aircraft, but by 1926, he'd proposed a radical new cantiliver-winged biplane which was quickly put into production. The new aircraft was a single-seat fighter-bomber armed with two .37 mm cannon and two 9 mm machine guns in the upper wing. It could carry a 300 kg bombload and featured an enclosed cockpit and a pair of the most intimidating spatted landing gear ever seen in Russian skies. The new aircraft was called the Kondorski from the menacing way it swooped down upon ground targets.

This new aircraft was to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat as history was to show.

Continued...

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

By the spring of 1928, White forces on the southern front not only managed to hold the line against the Reds, but were strong engough to mount an attack. A great offensive was launched on a broad front, led by squadrons of Kondorski fighter-bombers followed by tanks and shock troops. While there was great heroism shown on both sides, one action stood above all others and led to victory.

At dawn on June 21st, Lance Cpl. Lance Lanski of the 47th Lancers Attack squadron took off and headed north. Lance Cpl. (all combat fliers in the Imperial Russian Air Force were NCOs as it was too dangerous for officers) Lanski dropped his 150 ltr drop-tank once across the Russian border and headed for the cross-roads town of Magas. He swooped down low over a command and control base and let loose his bombs on what he thought was a communications shack. Little did Lance Cpl. Lanski know that the shack was an outhouse and that Marshal Stalin, Commander-in-Chief of the southern front, was in there contemplating deeper strategic questions. The outhouse disintigrated along with Marshal Stalin and his strategies. The death of Stalin led to the collapse of the Reds and White Russian forces swept to victory.

Lance Cpl. Lanski was awarded a knighthood (with matching trousers) and Alexander Kartvelishvili went on to become a world-renowned aircraft designer. Lance Cpl. Lanski's Kondorski, No. 270, can be seen on display at the Imperial Civil War Museum in Tblisi, across the hall from the restrooms.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The basis for this project was the wonderful 1/72 Revell Boeing P-26 which Toolslinger was kind enough to grab off the dollar table for me at a show a while back (thanks Ron!). Here's what a P-26 should look like:

Oops.

I also used the wings and tail feathers left over from my Spitfire GB project. I began by leaving off the P-26 kit's engine and cowling and shoe-horning in an engine from the spares box. Then I made the upper wing from the Spitfire wing and grafted on the tail parts. The spats were scratched from pieces of sprue and sheet plastic. The interplane 'I' struts are from a 1/48 Testor's Curtiss Racer and the cabanes were landing gear struts from a 1/48 Testopr's SPAD. The canopy is from a sinus pill blisterpack and the headrest from a drop-tanks. The prop ws left over from a Junkers G-38. The entire model was brush-painted by hand with acrylics, including the rudder stripes and outer rings of the upper wing roundels.

I hope you enjoyed the model and back story. I had a lot of fun bringing it to you!

Brian da Basher

Jeffry Fontaine

The father of the Thunderbolt with that stance and the elliptical wings it certainly looks like it.  Maybe name it the Thunderclap if it went into production here in the states. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

cthulhu77

I think you can get a shot for thunderclap...

BDB: That is an awesome build, wonderful to see an Uber-Peashooter !!!!!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

John Howling Mouse

"The canopy is from a sinus pill blisterpack"

Sure it is, pal.  Sure it is.  :thumbsup:

Good job, BdaB!  How does this one feel, zipping around the ol' cottage?

Poor Stalin...what a way to go!   :o
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

kitnut617

Bee-da-Bee  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

sequoiaranger

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Eddie M.

The shape of the wing real does it for me. Outstanding work as per usual, but nothing usual about your work. That's plain cool! ;D
Look behind you!

lancer

What is left to say but Outstanding as usual....Superb work Brian!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die