Beaufighter variations

Started by PanzerWulff, November 26, 2008, 07:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

Hey, just got an idea. What about a Beaufighter or Brigand for the AdA in the Algerain war ? Replace the Hercules by Turbomeca Bastan turboprops... the Beau (qu'il est beau!) had great firepower...
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

kitnut617

Quote from: Green Dragon on November 26, 2008, 08:07:11 AM
I saw what appears to be a Beaufighter Airliner conversion in the Mummy:Tomb of The Dragon Emperor trailer several Months back. It's about half way through. http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/dor/objects/55999/mummy_tomb_of_the_dragon_emperor/videos/mummy_trailer_052008.html

Paul Harrison

Me and the missus watched that movie last night on PPV, did you spot what the other two aircraft in the movie were, a Blohm und Voss flying boat, a Bv138 I think and what looked like a P-47.  The earlier scene of the Bv.138 I thought it was a C-119 Boxcar but then later you could see what it was.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 08, 2009, 12:49:58 PM
Quote from: Green Dragon on November 26, 2008, 08:07:11 AM
I saw what appears to be a Beaufighter Airliner conversion in the Mummy:Tomb of The Dragon Emperor trailer several Months back. It's about half way through. http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/dor/objects/55999/mummy_tomb_of_the_dragon_emperor/videos/mummy_trailer_052008.html

Paul Harrison

Me and the missus watched that movie last night on PPV, did you spot what the other two aircraft in the movie were, a Blohm und Voss flying boat, a Bv138 I think and what looked like a P-47.  The earlier scene of the Bv.138 I thought it was a C-119 Boxcar but then later you could see what it was.

Where did you see a Bv-138 and P-47?

The Chinese 'paramilitary' force (movie talk for warlord, I guess) do use a C-119, you see it on an airstrip at their desert base (real aircraft) and when it lands in the Himalayan valley (CGI).

The aircraft that attacks the terra-cotta army is a P-40.

The Beaufighter airliner sequence, complete with barfing yak, is one of the dumbest moments in the film.

Jon

Zeke

Quote from: PanzerWulff on November 26, 2008, 07:08:29 AM
I noticed that there was not a thread for my much loved Beaufighter I had several thoughts on variants (1) Inline engines say merlins,griffons or sabres (2) a 40mm Bofors replacing the 20mm's in the belly (i read somewhere that they mounted a 6pounder in the Mosquito) the guy in the rear could handle the reloading
Any other ideas???
"Panzer"

A little while ago some idiot wrote a book for Tamiya about building their 1:48 Beaufighter, in a load of variants...one of them was the Merlin engined Mk.II

And the Vickers Type S 40mm cannnon was tried in the 4th prototype Beau in a twin gun set up, replacing the 20mm's like you said, so no Whifs there, just real life!
It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

JayBee

DarylJ, you are evil.
It should be at least JW Black label, and for the officers the gold Label.

JayBee
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 09, 2009, 12:13:00 PM

The Chinese 'paramilitary' force (movie talk for warlord, I guess) do use a C-119, you see it on an airstrip at their desert base (real aircraft) and when it lands in the Himalayan valley (CGI).

The Beaufighter airliner sequence, complete with barfing yak, is one of the dumbest moments in the film.

Jon

Like I said Jon, I thought at first it was a C-119 but the scene where they are landing in the mountains shows it to be different, more like the Bv-138.  In the strafing scene it looked like a P-47 but it could have been a P-40, I thought it had a radial engine.

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 09, 2009, 01:28:08 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 09, 2009, 12:13:00 PM

Jon

Like I said Jon, I thought at first it was a C-119 but the scene where they are landing in the mountains shows it to be different, more like the Bv-138.  In the strafing scene it looked like a P-47 but it could have been a P-40, I thought it had a radial engine.

Pretty sure it's a C-119 like this one:

The Bv-138 wasn't an amphibian so taking off from the desert or landing in snowy valley is problematic.

Jon

Daryl J.

QuoteDarylJ, you are evil.
It should be at least JW Black label, and for the officers the gold Label.

Am I redeemed in that Black Label is sitting at the current time in Yee Olde Freezer?   :drink:

Getting back to the Beaufighter, the Tamiya kit was just about dug out of the stash for the COIN build for a SEA Green 102/ Green 79/ Tan 219/ Black scheme.  The idea was interesting enough that I didn't want to do the build and then immediately smash it in a move.   Shelf life is good.

:cheers:
Daryl J.

GTX

QuoteThe Bv-138 wasn't an amphibian so taking off from the desert or landing in snowy valley is problematic.

Ah, but it could be in a whiffer's mind which opens up possibilities... ;D

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

I have to agree with you there - sure there were some distantly related Beaufreighter conversions that might have done that, but the Beaufighter in the movie was silly - but still, I guess it was never meant to be real.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 09, 2009, 04:54:06 PM

The Bv-138 wasn't an amphibian so taking off from the desert or landing in snowy valley is problematic.
Jon

I wouldn't tell Canadians that   :lol:  I've seen some photos of floatplanes and even a Goose and Albatros which have landed on the snow wheels up (but I can't find them now --- damnit).  But you're right I should go with my first impression I had when I saw the transport plane in the movie.

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 10, 2009, 06:56:24 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 09, 2009, 04:54:06 PM

Jon

I wouldn't tell Canadians that   :lol:  I've seen some photos of floatplanes and even a Goose and Albatros which have landed on the snow wheels up (but I can't find them now --- damnit).  But you're right I should go with my first impression I had when I saw the transport plane in the movie.

Yes, I'm aware seaplanes can land in the snow. The Dornier Wal was regularly flown on and off snow during polar expeditions.
Amundsen's missions and the Miskatonic University Expedition to the Antarctic being the most famous. ;)

However, I wouldn't want to be the guy who tried that with the Clog:o

Meanwhile back in Beau-land along with the narrow fuselage 'sports' model (Type 158) they also looked at a
three-seat bomber with dorsal turret (Type 158). Any notions about how that would look?

Another notion is, what about using a layout similar to the Type 153A?, or perhaps just a cut down fuselage and bubble canopy?

Jon

raafif

hey guys,
     this is my drawing of the proposed Beaufort Mk.III with RR Merlin engines, info found while researching for the 1:1 scale Beaufort I worked on.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s34/hobgrot/13.jpg

When it became apparent that the Taurus engines were too trouble-some, someone suggested replacing them with Merlins. Apart from the necessary precaution against non-delivery of the designed engine, this was the normal suggestion for curing poor performance, being applied to all aircraft from the Miles Master trainer to the Westland Whirlwind fighter.
In the end the Beaufort received the American Pratt & Whitney radials, probably a better choice as Merlins were badly needed for Spitfire, Halifax & Lancaster.

cheers raafif
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

jcf

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 10, 2009, 04:22:53 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 10, 2009, 07:37:56 AM
Another notion is, what about using a layout similar to the Type 153A?, or perhaps just a cut down fuselage and bubble canopy?

Jon

The Type 153 was designed prior to the Beaufighter. 

Wow 153 comes before 156? No kidding.

Daryl J.

Another idea I've had is giving the Beau similar treatment the A/B-26C/K/A Invader got for it's SEA years and serving the USAF.    SEA greens/tan/gray.  Metal flying surfaces.    Some years back HLJ had the Beau + troop carrier on a massive sale so an extra kit showed up at Ye Cluttered Hobby Roome for the express purpose of whiffery.   It's all packed up for the move, but if someone wants to build the idea out, please enjoy.   :thumbsup:

Daryl J.