Beaufighter variations

Started by PanzerWulff, November 26, 2008, 07:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzerWulff

I noticed that there was not a thread for my much loved Beaufighter I had several thoughts on variants (1) Inline engines say merlins,griffons or sabres (2) a 40mm Bofors replacing the 20mm's in the belly (i read somewhere that they mounted a 6pounder in the Mosquito) the guy in the rear could handle the reloading
Any other ideas???
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Green Dragon

I saw what appears to be a Beaufighter Airliner conversion in the Mummy:Tomb of The Dragon Emperor trailer several Months back. It's about half way through. http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/dor/objects/55999/mummy_tomb_of_the_dragon_emperor/videos/mummy_trailer_052008.html

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Weaver

A small number of Beaufighter NFs actually had Merlins. There was also a turret fighter prototype with a Defiant turret just brhind the cockpit.

The real "ideal world" mod for the Beaufighter would have been a slim fuselage, but then that would have negated one of the reasons for it's existence in the first place (Beaufort wing jigs).

Something I've often wondered about is a late '30s "pre-Beaufighter" made by putting a fighter fuselage on a Blenheim.......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Mk.II's had Merlins, the Mk.IV (I think) was tested with Griffons. Another was tested with two types of 40mm cannon, one type being the same found on Hurricanes.  If you get the Squadron 'Beaufighter in Action' book you'll find some photos of all these.

Highplanes make a couple of Mk.II kits in 1/72 scale, the nightfighter version and an RN version and the turreted version:

Nightfighter        http://www.hiplanes.dragnet.com.au/new/1_72_kits/7213.htm  (I've got one of these, comes with two types of engine nacelle)
RN Version          http://www.hiplanes.dragnet.com.au/new/1_72_kits/7280.htm
Mk.V with turret  http://www.hiplanes.dragnet.com.au/new/1_72_kits/7269.htm

BTW, it's way cheaper buying direct from High Planes.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

The RAAF did trial a Wright Cyclone powered Beaufighter - I will provide a picture later.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on November 26, 2008, 11:44:52 AM
The RAAF did trial a Wright Cyclone powered Beaufighter - I will provide a picture later.

Regards,

Greg

You can find a photo of it in the 'In Action' book too.

unlikeKansas

Quote from: GTX on November 26, 2008, 11:44:52 AM

Regards,

Greg

I've got 2 pictures of that here on my USB drive + 1 of the Merlin engined Beau. But as they're all from Stewart Wilson's Beaufort, Beaufighter and Mosquito in Australian Service I'm not sure of the legalities of posting them here.
INo trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a significant number of electrons were slightly inconvenienced.

Daryl J.

A hooked, folded wing, USMC machine in overall Gloss Sea Blue would work for me circa 1951.

A supply machine specially outfitted with internal tanks to deliver Johnny Walker Red Label to the troops near the front, painted in civvie colors.

Daryl J.

GTX

As promised - the Wright Cyclone powered Beaufighter:

Regards,

Greg

kitnut617

Now there's a couple of photos I haven't seen before, thanks Greg for posting them.

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 01, 2008, 07:55:11 AM
The streamlining on the nacelle rear is similar to the unbuilt Bristol Buccaneer, the fuselage of which became the basis for the Brigand.

They would also give a hint to what a Centaurus powered Beaufighter might have looked like too I think.

GTX

A different sort of Beaufighter:

Regards,

Greg

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Sauragnmon

Damn, that twin-boom looks nice... begs to have a turret in the backside though, maybe a few guns up front, maybe a payload bay with a torpedo of something.  Put in the tail mount from a Lanc or a Fax or something in there, a pair of .50's so it's got some punch in it.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

Begs to have a higher tail with Meteor-style bullets and a thumping great recoilless gun in the bottom of the fuselage...... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Nice profile GTX!!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Reminds me of an idea I had for a "Fokker G.1 on steroids" with a P-47 powertrain in each boom.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones