What Matrixone has been doing....

Started by matrixone, November 27, 2008, 12:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

I have started building some softskin vehicles and airfield equipment, these are things I have been wanting to add to some of my photobase pictures but was too lazy to build until now.
In-progress now are:
2 Luftwaffe start carts (Tamiya 1/48 scale)

2 Kettenkraftrads (Tamiya 1/48 scale)

1 Opel Blitz fuel truck (Academy 1/72 scale)

1 Luftwaffe bomb trolly (Academy 1/72 scale)

1 Schwimmwagon (Academy 1/72 scale)

1 VW Bug staff car (Tamiya 1/48 scale)

1 Luftwaffe bomb trolly (Hasegawa 1/48  scale)

Here is a pic of the projects as they look like like right now...a few of them are ready for paint and will be painted soon. Notice the VW bug in the back, it will be finished as a what-if Luftwaffe staff car.

Here is the Opel Blitz fuel truck (Academy 1/72 scale) not a great kit to build but will look good enough as a prop in the background of some of my pictures.

1/48 scale Tamiya Kettenkraftrad and Goliath, I have no use for the Goliath in any of my pictures but am building this for painting and weathering practice.

Here is a close up of the front wheel of the Kettenkraftrad...check out the valve stem! Thats why I like some of the Tamiya kits, very finely molded parts.

This is a control panel from one of the Tamiya 1/48 scale Luftwaffe start carts, this part is very tiny and not easy to paint!

Here is the Academy 1/72 scale Luftwaffe bomb trolly ready for paint.

Next up is this other 1/48 scale Tamiya kit after the above projects are finished.

Also in the planning stages are not one, but TWO aircraft hangers.

More updates to be posted later this week.

Matrixone

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

matrixone

Thanks ysi_maniac,

These little kits are great for getting out of a modeling slump.

Matrixone

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: matrixone on November 27, 2008, 12:11:39 PMI have started building some softskin vehicles and airfield equipment, these are things I have been wanting to add to some of my photobase pictures but was too lazy to build until now. <<snip>>
1/48 scale Tamiya Kettenkraftrad and Goliath, I have no use for the Goliath in any of my pictures but am building this for painting and weathering practice.<<snip>>
Also in the planning stages are not one, but TWO aircraft hangers.

Hi Les,

Good to see you back again, I was wondering where you had disappeared to.  The Goliath could be converted to a robot vehicle like those currently in use for EOD/UXO missions with the addition of a sensor head and a couple of arms or an arm and a weapon of some kind. 

Are you using the pdf file plans for your aircraft hangars? 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

matrixone

Hi Jeffry,

The two hangers I mentioned are kits I had seen in one of the Walthers catalogs a while ago, they are very toylike and are snap together type of kits. With a little work I think I can make them look like WW II Luftwaffe aircraft hangers. One interesting feature these kits had was that they came with four airplanes! They are supposed to be 1950's era U.S. Airforce jets and are about 1/100 scale. The planes are crap but will be useful for making some whiffs in the future.

When I start work on them I will post some pics.

Matrixone

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

cthulhu77

Oh, the amazing photos these are going to be in !!!!    :wub:

matrixone

Thanks sotoolslinger and Greg!

Its good to be back at the workbench again.

I just finished gluing some parts together on the VW and did some detail painting on some of the other things.

In a day or two I will have some paint put on at least two of these current group of models....I will post some pics at that time.

Matrixone

Jeffry Fontaine

Les, 

Not sure if I shared this with anyone here before or not, there is a 1/144th scale paper card aircraft hangar and support buildings available as a free download.  Since these are pdf files you can scale them up or down as you see fit to make different scale aircraft hangars and support buildings.  All you need is a color printer and heavy card stock paper to make it work.  There are ten pdf files on that page, nine are for the hangar and support buildings and one if the instruction sheet. 

image of hangar prototype with 1/144 scale Luftwaffe aircraft from TomToms Aviation and Scale Model Resources
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

BlackOps

Matrix, lots of cool stuff you've got going on. It's all these little detaily bits that always impress me when you do your photos...well that and the kick donkey aircraft you build  ;D
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

Jeffry,
Thanks for the information on the paper card airplane hanger, I would use that setup except for one thing...I would need the hanger to be made of a more durable material since I move it quite often when I set up my photobase outside to take pictures and paper card would deform very easily.
BTW, the hangers I recently bought are made by Plastiville, its a company that makes things for model RR layouts.

BlackOps,
Thanks very much for the kind words!

NARSES2,
Its good to be back, this year was not a good year for me getting that many models finished but I expect in 2009 to have quite a few completed.

Matrixone

philp

m1,
I have looked at the card hanger several times.
For a more permanent structure, print the set out on regular paper in the scale you want and then use them for templates to cut out the parts in a more durable material (ie, plastic sheet, wood, etc).
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

matrixone

Hi philp,

Yes I thought about just using the paper printout as a template and making the hanger out of plastic sheet but right now I already have the two Plastiville hangers to work with and they might be all I need for the time being, plus I have several other structures that I had seen and purchased from the Walthers catalogs waiting to be built.

Matrixone

Rafael

Oh, my God!!! Now I can see some soft skinned vehicles -perfect soft skinned vehicles- in one perfect Matrixone patented photo!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER