Focke-Wulf FW-226 Flitzer

Started by Spey_Phantom, November 28, 2008, 04:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

ive been thinking about navalising a flitzter..........after all, it was supposedly to be of comparable performance to the me 262 but in a smaller packaage.....be easier to move about on that aircraft carrier they would have had in '47  ;D
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Barry Krell

Quote from: Mossie on January 12, 2010, 04:43:59 AM
A pure jet version with a cannon in the nose & revised nose wheel layout

No, it's a turboprop - note the extension shaft from the engine.  The thing in front of the engine cannon is the gearbox for the prop.

CMK did a kit of it and it was reboxed by Airmodel in 1994 - I've one in the stash somewhere.  You can pick them up quite cheaply these days.  Needs a fair bit of detailing though.

If you're doing the Revell Flitzer, you may want to think about replacing the wheels as they're horrible.
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

Mossie

I see it now, ta!  I had wondered what the 'funnel' things were in the nose, it's obvious now it's a truncrated prop.

I'm very much thinking of building the Revell kit pretty much right away, I need something simple to get me back into the swing of things.  I see what you mean about the wheels, they're too thick for the wing, but I don't think I've got owt to replace them with.  I've a set of Aeroclub wheels that I think were for an F-84, they might do but they've got a large hub that'll need removing, I guess that side will be going to the struts!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Someone should do one in RN FAA colours.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Mossie

Quote from: GTX on January 13, 2010, 01:09:25 AM

Regards,

Greg

Oh, I'm thinking about FAA alright, but not in the way you are!?!?! ;D
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Quote from: Mossie on January 13, 2010, 06:57:33 AM
Quote from: GTX on January 13, 2010, 01:09:25 AM

Regards,

Greg

Oh, I'm thinking about FAA alright, but not in the way you are!?!?! ;D

How do you know??? ;D

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Barry Krell

Use Fw 190 wheels, they're about the right size and look 'right'

You couldn't use the Revell Flitzer to do that version - the fuselage is way too slim for that engine. IIRC it's a DB-021 based on the HeS 011 which was a centrifugal type engine and really chunky - see the engine in the Huma Me P.1101 (the Dragon kit has a jumo rather than the Heinkel engine around which it was designed)

The CMK/Airmodel kit looks closer to the second drawing Mossie posted as it has the raised cockpit to clear the prop shaft. 

Mossie

I've noticed with the Flitzer that if you want to do anything with, that triangular cross section pretty much prevents it.  In fact, most FW fighter designs are like this due to that classic canopy shape.

I'll see if I can pick up a cheap butcher bird, although I might be making a Hannants purchase soon in which case I might put a set on the order.

Barry Krell

Just ask about and see if anyone has a spare set of Fw 190 wheels.

Mossie

That would be the easisest bet!

Spey_Phantom

BUMP:

i have a couple of Flitzers left in the stash, and im thinking of building upgraded luft'46 versions out of them.
i was thinking of fitting them with an underbelly 20mm cannon pod and 2 underwing Ruhrstahl X-4 Missiles.

perhaps i can also build an early version in a Swiss version, perhaps with the same livery of the Bf109?
i was thinking the 2-tone grey livery with the red surfaces and white crosses  :mellow:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Captain Canada

That would certainly look good !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dumaniac

I think the Swiss colours look good on any aircraft