IAI T-270 Drowr (Super Magister)

Started by Weaver, November 30, 2008, 01:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

This is so much fun to watch coming together.  Thank you for the IP shots: I'm seriously taking notes of everything you're doing here.  The pilot mods are so innovative and evokes the heat of the desert just to see those short sleeves...
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Weaver

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on December 26, 2008, 10:29:58 AM
This is so much fun to watch coming together.  Thank you for the IP shots: I'm seriously taking notes of everything you're doing here.  The pilot mods are so innovative and evokes the heat of the desert just to see those short sleeves...

Cheers JHM - coming from you that's a real compliment!

Make note of this though: when putting in a spacer to support a cockpit, don't push it in too hard or else it'll bow that fuselage half and they won't match up and you'll spend ages filing and sanding them down - ask me how I know this..... :angry: :banghead:

More progress - we have something that looks kinda like an aeroplane:

Since that was taken, I've filled in the wing root gaps with Evergreen and putty, but I've yet to sand it down. The white spots on the side of the rear headrest are where I've filed the corners off: turns out that with it all together, the canopy wouldn't fit over the rear seat headrest...... :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Daryl J.

Great concept and visually so well proportioned.    This is a bag of fun to watch.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Daryl J.

sotoolslinger

Good looking airplane and cool mods :mellow: :wub: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Weaver

Okay, tailfins on, PSR done (I think) and cockpit masked ready for a first coat.

BTW, the bump that fairs in the back of the canopy (cut from some anonymous drop tank) doesn't follow the canopy line. Initially, I was going to sand it diwn until it did, but then I remembered the radio aerials under the back of the RW mag's canopy, so I decided to leave it and paint it radome-black: it's kind of the equivalent of that black teardrop on the back of A-37Bs.

First paint, on the canopy rails:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

Looking good! Can't wait to see the paint. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

GTX

Looking good - has inspired me to start considering a Super Macchi (MB.326) to match it.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Sisko

I like the shape and the twin tail gives it special something. Looking forward to seeing this all painted up.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Weaver

First dust coat of white (Holt's car paint rattle can):

That revealed some rather nasty flats on the fuselage join where I'd sanded it smooth, so much sanding followed:

No actual filler used since I'm hpoing the combination of paint and sanding will take it out. It's up for a second coat tonight.

Canopy sill painted and unmasked:

And re-masked for the bows:

The bows have now been painted and this time I havn't gone over the already painted bits, thus hopefully avoiding the "crossed sellotape" effect I got on the Migina.

- Indiana Jones

BlackOps

Don't you just hate it when those annoying little flaws don't show themselves till after you start laying down paint!  :banghead:

Lookin' great Weaver (yes I mean the Super magister not you!)  ;D  Lookin' forward to more progress pics as they come.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

ChernayaAkula

Just beautiful!  :wub: A very elegant design!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Cheers folks!

It's had another coat of white now (no point photographing it again) and some flaws are still there. In particular, there's a flat showing behind the canopy fairing on the RHS. You can actually see it on the pictures below.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Well it's as flawless and white as it's going to get for a while: I've started the long-delayed/promised re-organization/tidy-up of the cellar, so I have no where to spray for a while: no I do NOT want dayglow dust floating around the model den, ta.

It's had so many coats of white paint (which is pretty thick, too) that most of the surface detail has gone: wish I hadn't sanded down the "excessive" rivets now........ :rolleyes:

On the upside, I now have mostly suitable decals for it. :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

Deon

Cool project, looking forwards to seeing it come out of the paintshop.
'...please, tell me where to put it..?'

'do nothing except that which is necessary or beautiful' (Marcus Aurelius)..well I've got the 'do nothing' bit sorted...