Just a teaser

Started by The Rat, December 02, 2008, 08:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Just spent half an hour on my belly for pictures that came out like crap, so to give myself a lift I'm posting a pic anyway. This is the Hawker Siddeley Nodens, named for a Celtic god.

If I can ever get some sunshine to co-incide with times that I'm home I'll try to get something better.  :angry:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Ed S

Brilliant.  A flying boat Nimrod.  Original and well executed.

:thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Brian da Basher

That's got to be one of the most beautiful planing hulls ever to emerge from your workbench Rat! What sweet lines! The hemp and low-viz markings are perfect!
:wub: :wub:
Brian da Basher

Sauragnmon

Damn, Rat, that's a beautiful bird right there.  Very Very cool, and the colours work nicely.

You might have to settle for artificial conditions or lighting.  It might be the only way if it becomes a problem.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

Nice one - might have to send that one to the future projects dept. here at Woodford, assuming we've still got one, of course..... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Rat

Thank you gentlemen!

ADMISSION OF GREVIOUS SIN: Those fin flashes are not decals. Toad was nice enough to donate the roundels, but when I was down at his place I completely forgot about the flashes. So I got on line and found a pic, printed it out on regular paper, cut two tiny rectangles out from where the blue meets the pink, and attached them carefully with tweezers and the tiniest dabs of white glue. Figured that in this scale combined with digital photography it wouldn't make much difference.

I feel sooooooooooo ashamed...  :wacko:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Sauragnmon

Hey, it works, right?  They sit and look good.  Why worry about it?  Lay a thin coat of varnish to hold them secure, they'll be fine, man.  If they work, and they look good, where's the sin?  Work with what you have, plain and simple as that.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Scooterman

Weaver

Quote from: The Rat on December 03, 2008, 05:03:23 AM
Thank you gentlemen!

ADMISSION OF GREVIOUS SIN: Those fin flashes are not decals. Toad was nice enough to donate the roundels, but when I was down at his place I completely forgot about the flashes. So I got on line and found a pic, printed it out on regular paper, cut two tiny rectangles out from where the blue meets the pink, and attached them carefully with tweezers and the tiniest dabs of white glue. Figured that in this scale combined with digital photography it wouldn't make much difference.

I feel sooooooooooo ashamed...  :wacko:

When I went on a cartooning and illustrating course (don't get excited, I was cr4p at it) the lecturer told us "Only fine artists 'cheat': illustrators 'innovate'"........................  :wacko:

On photography, how much control does your camera give you? I find that the best way of photographing models is:

1. Camera on tripod, no flash, doesn't need daylight,

2. Aperture down to minimum, for maximum depth-of-field,

3. With no flash, the exposure will now be very long, so use the shutter timer: step away from the camera while it's counting down, then stand dead still while the shutter's open.

Mind you, this is with a DSLR that lets you set things manually.......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on December 03, 2008, 06:28:36 AMOn photography, how much control does your camera give you

Minimal control. It's a Kodak point and shoot that allows some exposure and flash control but not really enough for these situations. And since my close-up technique involves holding my old close-up filters in front of the lens I can't see the results of the focusing until I get the pics up on the computer. I might try something by a window that has lots of natural light. Nice thing is that being digital I can blast away for ages and simply discard those that don't work.

cthulhu77

Have the same problems with my dslr, to be honest. Hate Nikon with a passion.

The jet looks fantastic ! Nice job there, Sir Rat !

The Rat

Quote from: The Rat on December 03, 2008, 06:35:53 AMI might try something by a window that has lots of natural light.

Oh yeah, that works a lot better!

And if you're wondering about the size:

noxioux

Holy crap, that's tiny!  I thought it looked great for a 72 or 144 scale.  Awesome. :thumbsup:

frank2056

That is just gorgeous! What was the donor kit(s)? What scale is it?

The Rat

Quote from: frank2056 on December 04, 2008, 11:12:41 AMThat is just gorgeous! What was the donor kit(s)? What scale is it?

The model is made by Dubena, I think they are/were(?) East German. The scale is approximately 1/tiny. Head over to this post for more.