Black Shouldered Kite

Started by Glenn, December 04, 2008, 07:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

Originally, I called this aircraft the Curtiss P-402, but the new name sounds much better! My mum saw this series of photos and said, "what if you loose an engine?"
The answer to that is, "My god, I hope the pilot can swim!" It looks like adding a Merlin to a Tiger Moth, don't it?
Model : Curtiss P-402 "Black Shouldered Kite"
Kits used : Two Airfix P-40's 'butchered'
Scale :1/72

Glenn

PS 'Black Shouldered Kites' are found in the Northern Territory, and north Western Australia.

sotoolslinger

Dang that's some big arse engines :wacko: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

noxioux

Now we need the same treatment on a Zero, for a little alternative Flying Tigers history. . .

Very cool :thumbsup:

Cobra

Awesome Job!!!!!!! looks like something out of "Crimson Skies"!!! Great Work!!!!! any plans to do 1 with maybe a Spitfire or Thunderbolt???? just asking and Keep up the Kick Arse Work!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Glenn

The view the enemy would see, on an attack run!!!
I could do a twin P-51........nah, or, (on the other side of the coin) what about a single engine P-38?
Glenn

Brian da Basher

That's just killer Glenn! I'd hate to see one of those Black-Shouldered Kites bearing down on me, guns blazing!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Bungle

How about a twin P-38 ? Three or four engines ?
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

sequoiaranger

Good on you! Did you actually MAKE such a beast, or just showing us some doctored pictures?

Curtiss DID make such a beast, at least in mock-up (*see pic below--from Squadron/Signal publications), and I have all the fixings to make the model in 1/72. I plan to make it part of the "Navajo Expeditionary Air Force", and call it a "Navahawk".

It isn't high on my priority list, but it *IS* on the list.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Glenn

Another shot on attack mode.....I saw the plans on 'Secret Projects' page, and fell in love with the design! If the Beaufighter, to the Japanese was 'Whispering Death', the Kite would have probably been 'Holy Crap!'
Glenn

Rafael

Yes, definitely, this is how the P-40s should have been built :wub: :wub: :wub:

Great model, Glenn

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Ed S

Nice model!  Your photos definitely have the look an old WWII color photo.  But I look at that thing with those monster engines and wonder if the pilot could see anything to the side.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Sauragnmon

That is a pretty nice plane, man.  Looks pretty damn cool.

Ed, the pilot wouldn't have too much problem with visibility with his version.  The actual version would have visibility problems with how high-seated those wings are.  It's horrible for visibility.

I'd be way too tempted to do a twin-engined Zero, that would look pretty damn cool with a pair of the traditional radials in it, narrow down the nose profile a little, put in a heavier weapons fit - some 20mm Ho-5s, maybe some 13mm guns up in the cockpit.  Being that I think the engines were air-cooled, you could probably go for broke and put extra fuel in behind the engines with the right protection.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Captain Canada

Nice one, Lynn ! She looks all asymetricl in the first pic, and I was thinking 'wtf ? ' But you can see in the other pics.....Must have been one powerful bugger, and a real handful to fly !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?