Boeing 777-900

Started by PR19_Kit, December 05, 2008, 08:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

Coolest commercial whiff ever :wub: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

nev

That sure is a cool looking whiff :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

PR19_Kit

Quote from: SSgt Baloo on December 05, 2008, 05:32:10 PM
Years ago, when boeing was making the 707, 727, and 737 all with the same fuselage diameters, there used to be a joke that Boeing didn't have an aircraft factory but a huge sausage machine that would crank out the fuselage length you wanted, then they'd tack on wings and a tail and send it to you.

I've seen that too, and I can almost believe it.

I built a 707-700 that was two -420s joined end to end, with uprated P&Ws and did it in PanAm colours, entitled 'Clipper Long Tom'. Until you posted that I'd forgotten I'd done it, I'll have to dig the thing out and post some pics. Boeing really DID plan the 707-700 to compete with the DC8-60 series, but it would have needed longer landing gear and thus a new wing root design so it never happened, except in 1/144 scale of course.

How about a 737-50 with maybe 5 windows either side of the wing? Or a loooooong 727-800 with a MONSTER third engine in the centre position? Maybe give it a booster with the standard engine, a la Trident 3?

Of course Airbus are already in the sausage  machine business, with the A318, A319, A320 and A321. An A312 would look good, or maybe even an A329???  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Mind you, the same thing was said about the WW2 Liberty ship.
I'm imagining a huge extrusion machine spitting out an endless fuselage tube  ;D

PR19_Kit

Bump time for this project.

It was my intention to finish it for the 2008 Telford Nats (Yeah, OK, I know its called Scale Model World or something now, but I still think of it as the Nats....) but disaster came upon it when I found the filler on the umpteen fuselage joints bubbling up through the first wihite coat! No matter what I did I couldn't get rid of it so the project was shelved until the reaction stopped. I tested it by giving it a quick sand every six months or so but it still kept coming back.

But on the last sanding effort, about a week ago, nothing happened!  ;D :cheers: :drink:

So it's back on again, and maybe might make the 2011 Nats in November, so fingers crossed that the new PSR routine works, that I have enough white paint in stock and that the 3 yr old home printed decals are still OK.

Oh yes, and that I have enough window decals for the darn thing!!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 06, 2008, 06:09:29 AM
Quote from: SSgt Baloo on December 05, 2008, 05:32:10 PM
Years ago, when boeing was making the 707, 727, and 737 all with the same fuselage diameters, there used to be a joke that Boeing didn't have an aircraft factory but a huge sausage machine that would crank out the fuselage length you wanted, then they'd tack on wings and a tail and send it to you.

I built a 707-700 that was two -420s joined end to end, with uprated P&Ws and did it in PanAm colours, entitled 'Clipper Long Tom'. Until you posted that I'd forgotten I'd done it, I'll have to dig the thing out and post some pics.

And bump time for that too, your fans demand pictures!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

MiB

Good idea for a new liner model! :thumbsup:  :bow: :bow: :bow:
I'm waiting for the complete model, now ;)
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on August 27, 2011, 04:41:54 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 06, 2008, 06:09:29 AM
I built a 707-700 that was two -420s joined end to end, with uprated P&Ws and did it in PanAm colours, entitled 'Clipper Long Tom'. Until you posted that I'd forgotten I'd done it, I'll have to dig the thing out and post some pics.

And bump time for that too, your fans demand pictures!  :thumbsup:

Oops, sorry, I never did post piccies of the 707-821C. (I got the model no. wrong in the original post...)

Here's a couple of piccies from my files, the model's buried in a big storage box somewhere ready for a 'one-man-show' next weekend.

Regards
Kit

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Designed to compete with the Stretch Eight of course, but in reality it would have needed longer main gear, and a totally new wing root section, so it never happened, except in plastic....  ;D

Regards
Kit

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

The PSR work on the 777-900 is going apace. The only problem is it takes about an hour for each bout of sanding, such is the length of the darn thing! I'll have to re-primer it now, as the bumps and dents caused by the flaking filler are all but invisble with all the new filler etc.

Ho hum, such is Whiffing life..........

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

And just to show I don't ONLY do PSR work on this monster, here's the computer generated decal sheet that I've knocked together for it.

There's a few windows on there.  ;D

Regards
Kit

scooter

What no United/Continental (aka Varney Speed Lines 2.0)?

I look forward to seeing more Kit.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

The United decals are white, which means they're impossible to print with an inkjet printer, but I have some at the right size from one of the Minicraft 777s.

Regards
Kit