Boeing 777-900

Started by PR19_Kit, December 05, 2008, 08:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Ouch...that's alot of work ! Gonna be pretty sweet when it's all done tho !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Looks like the PSR Enduro is over and done with!  :cheers: :drink:

The last traces of the Putty Pox are gone and after priming the monster isn't looking too bad. I've primered the port engine and the new wing tips, so I've assembled the whole shebang for your viewing pleasure, and for Mrs PR19's amazement!  ;D

The darn thing stretches across my couch from front to back and I'm wondering where I'm going to display it at home, it's MLES bigger than any of my shelves.

Next it's the Appliance White on the fuselage, plus some coloured sections for the Lufthansa, United and VARIG bits, and Boeing Grey for the wings and tail, and then it's the decals, which I'm really looking forward to.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Having just re-read my previous posts I found I made a mistake about the wings.

Actually they're Doyusha inboard sections with Minicraft outers grafted on just outboard of the engines. My reasoning for that was that the Doyusha wing-to-fuselage mount is extremely well engineered, with the hefty tongues you can see in the earlier pics, whereas the Minicraft ones use their manic multi-fingered system which I never can get on with. The Minicraft outer sections are much nicer shaped though, thus my choice for them.

This does mean that I've had to make the Minicraft engine pylons fit the Doyusha slots, which isn't much fun, but it's sort of there now. A bit of PSR will sort out any discrepancies of course.

I've modified the much nicer Minicraft nose gear to fit the Doyusha nose section, but I've not started on the main gear yet. I think that'll end up being Minicraft as well, even though it has to fit the Doyusha bays, they're both pretty much the same size and shape, but the mounting holes may need to be drilled out a tad. That's some way off yet though, it's painting time tomorrow.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

I've tried that with the Airfix BAe Nimrod (Nimmet) 1/72, I've found some Plumbers' tubing which has the same diameter as the cockpit and raided my spares stash for the weapons/storage bay underneath. I ran into problems on the build.
The rear section has a spin top attached, but will have a different cockpit attached (C-135).
The front half has been used in the building of the Sea Nimrod. Earmarked for the Royal Flight (as it resembles the Comet MK1), but passed onto the Royal Navy as a training aircraft.
Before you ask, yes pictures will follow.

PR19_Kit

The scene : Halfords, Cribbs Causeway, Bristol around 1030 BST today

The cast : Me = PR19
               Helpful Halfords Staff Member = HHSM

The situation : I'm trying to find some non-metallic grey paint that's a near match to Boeing Aircraft Company Grey, used on almost all their airliner's flying surfaces. It seems that non-metallic grey paint is only used by Ford these days, and they have 2-3 different shades so I'm trying to figure out the best match.

HHSM 'Good morning sir, what car do you drive?'

PR19 'A Zafira 1.8 Dualfuel'

HHSM 'Er, that's a Vauxhall sir, you're looking in the Ford section'

PR19 'I'm well aware that a Zafira is a Vauxhall thank you, I've had this one for almost 4 years and it's my second Zaf'

HHSM 'The paint colour won't match sir'

PR19 'I'm not looking for paint for my Zaf'

HHSM 'What Ford are you getting it for sir?'

PR19 'It's not for a car, it's for an aeroplane.........'

HHSM (with look of astonishment on his face) 'Will a spray can be large enough sir?'

PR19 'It's a very small plane' (Pulls 1/144 scale tailplane for my 777-900 already painted in Boeing Grey as a match from my pocket)

HHSM 'Oh, it's a model?'

PR19 'Yes, I do believe it is'  ;D

Result : Total confusion spreads throughout other Halfords staff, none of whom seem to be aware of the number of their customers who actually use their excellent paint for use on things other than cars!  ;D :lol: :rolleyes:

The best match turns out to be Ford Polar Grey BTW, not a 100% match, but good enough for Government work.

Regards
Kit

Mike Wren

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 24, 2011, 05:39:36 AM
The best match turns out to be Ford Polar Grey BTW, not a 100% match, but good enough for Government work.

was about to suggest Ford Polar grey...

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 24, 2011, 05:39:36 AM

PR19 'It's not for a car, it's for an aeroplane.........'

HHSM (with look of astonishment on his face) 'Will a spray can be large enough sir?'

PR19 'It's a very small plane' (Pulls 1/144 scale tailplane for my 777-900 already painted in Boeing Grey as a match from my pocket)

HHSM 'Oh, it's a model?'

PR19 'Yes, I do believe it is'  ;D

Brilliant - Galton and Simpson eat your heart out  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Today is 'Major Painting Day', lots of Tamiya tape, bent coat hangers and Halford's cans etc.

The fuselage, or should that be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuseeeeeeeeeeeeelaaaaaaaaage, has had its final primer coat and first coat of Appliance White and is now drying. The starboard wing has also had its final primer coat and top coat of Ford (not Vauxhall....) Polar Grey, the port wing fell off the coat hanger after one pass of the can, fell on the floor and broke off its wing tip!  :banghead:

To add to my troubles one of the tailplanes looks great after its top coat, but the other is so much of a basket case I've taken it right back to the plastic to start again!

Sometimes I think the darn model doesn't WANT to be finished!

Regards
Kit

JayBee

These feelings are just perfectly normal paranoia Kit.
Just because you think they are out to get you does not mean that they are not.   :wacko:

Keep going mate,

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

scooter

I think after this build though, the men wearing the starched white coats may be coming to take you away for...a rest. :D
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: scooter on September 25, 2011, 01:34:09 PM
I think after this build though, the men wearing the starched white coats may be coming to take you away for...a rest. :D

I think you're right, and so does Mrs PR19!  ;D

Having sorted out the port wing, now with it's tip rejoined, re-primed and now with its top coat applied, I masked up the starboard wing to paint the leading edge droops and ITS wing tip snapped off!  :banghead:

I went ahead and did the droops anyway, as the busted tip was held in place by the masking tape and that came out looking great. I've now RE-attached the recalcitrant tip (more PSR work needed to hide the jont) and I'll re-paint just the tip tomorrow. The first decal is on  :thumbsup: ;D :lol: as the port tailplane now has it's lower Corrogard panel in place and it looks great. (At least something does....) The fuuuuuuuuuuuseeeeeeeeeeelaaaaaaaaage has now had it's 2nd white coat on the upper side, lower side goes on tomorrow morning.

We're getting there, 47 days to go......

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I got home from a couple of days doing train things and did some more work on the -900.

The fuuuuuuuuuuseeeeeeeeeeelaaaaaaage now has a final top coat applied to its upper half (I have to paint it half and half as there's no way you can support the blasted thing other than by laying flat on something) One tailplane is FINISHED ;D :thumbsup: complete with leading edge silver and upper Corrogard panels and it's been varnished. The other tailplane is masked and ready for the leading edge paint in about 10 mins.

BOTH wings now have their tips snapped off, for the fourth or fifth time! I'm getting seriously fed up with this, it would seem that stainless steel just won't bond to styrene no matter what glue I use. If it happens one more time I'm going to epoxy them on, that should do it. It wouldn't be so bad but I have to go back to PSRing the tips after every breakage and I do HATE that!

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2011, 08:37:30 AM
Today is 'Major Painting Day', lots of Tamiya tape, bent coat hangers and Halford's cans etc.

The fuselage, or should that be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuseeeeeeeeeeeeelaaaaaaaaage, has had its final primer coat and first coat of Appliance White and is now drying. The starboard wing has also had its final primer coat and top coat of Ford (not Vauxhall....) Polar Grey, the port wing fell off the coat hanger after one pass of the can, fell on the floor and broke off its wing tip!  :banghead:

To add to my troubles one of the tailplanes looks great after its top coat, but the other is so much of a basket case I've taken it right back to the plastic to start again!

Sometimes I think the darn model doesn't WANT to be finished!

I've got a couple of kits like that!!

JayBee

Kit,

why not use the stainless tips as templates and make new ones out of plasticard?
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!