Boeing 777-900

Started by PR19_Kit, December 05, 2008, 08:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on September 28, 2011, 12:24:14 AM
why not use the stainless tips as templates and make new ones out of plasticard?

Now that is pure genius Jim!  :thumbsup:

I may yet do that if the damn things snap off again. Watch this space.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

And now it's white.....................again!

Much better this time, five coats of Halfords Appliance White did the job, the masking for the fin and wing root are off and I'm about to mask up for the coloured bits, Varig Blue, Lufthansa Grey and United Blue. The United Grey has to come later as it's right next to the Lufthansa Grey. Plus I'll do the black fin as well, hopefully all dry by this evening, but as I'm using Xtracolor paints it could be next week, they're not known for their quick drying properties!  :banghead:

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

sideshowbob9

I would not want to be a nugget on that thing. It would be waaay too easy to over-rotate!

Awesome work. Can't wait to see the finished product.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on September 28, 2011, 03:42:21 AM
I would not want to be a nugget on that thing. It would be waaay too easy to over-rotate!

The backstory says it was so long it never DID fly, and they had to convert it back to a standard -200.  ;D

The first colour coats are on now, but they'll need at least three each, painting over white can be a pain.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

2.5 hrs after applying three of the colour coats the Lufthansa Grey is dry, the Varig Blue is quite sticky and the black on the fin is half way dry. And they're all Xtracolor.

Go figure?  :-\

I'm just in the middle of carving up sheets of Corrogard for the wings and tail. The set of '777' Corrogard that I bought for this job 3 years ago turns out to be for a 747-400, which won't fit of course!  :banghead: So it's lots of scalpel work to match the various bits together, but I quite like decalling so it's not to much of a chore.  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I masked up the hybrid engines thiis evening, both of them having been in primer for a while now. Then sprayed the port one with Halfords Appliance White, and while putting it in the clamp assembly to dry it fell off onto the floor.................... :banghead:

All the lovely white paint is covered, nay GLUED, with grot and stuff so I put it to one side an started on the starboard one.

EXACTLY the same thing happened!!!!!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Now I have two basket case engines that ought to be white but are in a total mess. I very mearly stamped on them both but I'd spent ages mixing and matching the Doyusha and Minicraft bits to get the best shaped GE90s possible.

How the devil do I dissolve Halfords White? White spirit won't touch it and I daren't use cellulose thinners, it'll dissolve the plastic.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Excellent, thank you Duncan!  :thumbsup:

To make it worse, I was wearing my usual yellow Marigolds to hold the bits while spraying, and when I picked up the wreckage the engine's 'paint job' got imprinted with the hexagons from the finger tips of the gloves! I'll leave them till the morning when the paint will be dry and I'll be off to the Co-Op for some of that magic Fairy stuff.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Got up early thiis morning to check progress and the Varig Blue is at last showing signs of drying, so I gave it and the rest of the colour areas a quick once over with Kleer.

Oddly enough the biggest problem with painting the fuuuuuuuuuseeeeeeelaaaaaaaage is to keep dirty fingerprints off the vast areas of white! With so many colours in play at the same time I can't help but get small patches of each of them on my fingertips and with all the twisting and turning I have to do to get to the various areas I end up grasping the centre section quite a lot. After each painting session I then have to go back over the white bits and clean off the smudges etc. however faint they are!

Last colour section on today, that's the United Dark Blue, and then I can start decalling, YIPPEEEEEE!  ;D

The wings are finally finished now too, all the Corrogard applied and two coats of Kleer, just some small details, like nav lights, to be added once it's assembled.

I really feel as if I'm getting there now, apart from the ruddy engines, that is!  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

McColm

Thanks for the tip about the white paint.

PR19_Kit

I don't know what they make that Halfords Appliance White from but they should use it to make containment veseels for nuclear reactors!  :banghead:

I got the Fairy Power Spray OK (which smells AWFUL) and used it as directed but it didn't even touch the ruined engines.  :angry:

Looks like it's back to the heavy duty wet-and-dry and lots of elbow bending for me.

Mrs PR19 reckons the Fairy stuff will be great for cleaning the oven though.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 29, 2011, 06:11:45 AM
I don't know what they make that Halfords Appliance White from but they should use it to make containment veseels for nuclear reactors!  :banghead:

I got the Fairy Power Spray OK (which smells AWFUL) and used it as directed but it didn't even touch the ruined engines.  :angry:

Looks like it's back to the heavy duty wet-and-dry and lots of elbow bending for me.

Mrs PR19 reckons the Fairy stuff will be great for cleaning the oven though.  :thumbsup:

I'm told that the Fairy Power Spray is very efficient at removing unwanted hair from garden gnomes!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Mike Wren

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 29, 2011, 06:11:45 AM

yeah, stop fiddling about with that plane and make yourself useful!

PR19_Kit

The devil with cleaning the oven, I have aircraft to build!  ;D

Leaving the engine disaster to one side, I carried on with painting the fuuuuuuuuuseeeeeeeeelaaaaaaaage and that job's done now, so it's decal time tomorrow!  :thumbsup:

Here's the fully painted monster, minus its final Kleer coats of course. The front section with the light grey underside is the Lufthansa bit, the next section, grey on top and blue unerneath, is the United chunk, then there's a long all-white section for SAS, Thai and Air Canada, and finally the aft-most section with the blue underside is the Varig bit.

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

Most impressive! Although when the pic first loaded I thought it was a large scale model of an AMRAAM!!  :blink: