Boeing 777-900

Started by PR19_Kit, December 05, 2008, 08:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

:o :o :o

Wow, nice, but where are the canards to help its nose rotate?   ;D
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on September 29, 2011, 05:46:23 PM
Most impressive! Although when the pic first loaded I thought it was a large scale model of an AMRAAM!!  :blink:

When I took it to my local model club in 2008, in its first gestation before the 'Putty Pox' struck, it was immediately dubbed 'Kit's Sidewinder'.  ;D

And it'll need considerably more action on the part of Burnoulli than canards to get THAT thing into the air!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

This build thread threatens to be longer than the model...............  ;D

I started on the decals today, and thank goodness I printed lots of spares! The forward left hand door took FOUR attempts to get one to stay in the right position and un-wrinkled! These PC manufactured decals are very thin and the decal film they use tends to curl up at the edges, thus you need to cut wider than normal borders. I eventually managed to do all five doors on the left had side and then started on the Thai Airlines decal in the middle as that defines the position of the windows vis a vis the doors and everything else.

That's when I found that too much Micro-Sol leaches the colour out of the decal!!!!  :banghead:

The whole lower side of the aircraft turned pink and the decal went transparent. Disaster, as I hadn't duplicted the Thai stuff, so it was back to the laptop to make some new ones. They're currently being varnished so progress will resume in about an hour I gues, but only with water, not 'Sol. I've also got the Star Alliance fin markings on and they look really great.  ;D

Piccies this evening with luck, depending how far I've got.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

NOW we're cooking with gas!  ;D :lol:

Got the basic decals on the left hand side, and I had to re-print most of them as the 3 yr delay between me making the first lot would seem to the be cause of the colour leaching problem. Newly printed ones work just great and snuggle down nicely without the aid of 'Sol.

I have some small detail decals to add yet, plus all the other side of course. Then it's back to the darned engines, final assembly and adding the landing gear. 42 days to go.........

The good side....

The 'nude' side.   ;)

Regards
Kit

Scooterman

That's the dogs dangles right there, Kit.  Excellent!  :wub:

Makes me want to dig out my 777 project.

Old Wombat

Hmm?!....
A 2nd set of wings, forward & above the current set?....
Say centred over the SAS/United interface?....
Not quite so narrow at the tips (either set) & joined by some type of faring?....
Hmm?!....

NO!!! I refuse to be drawn into the world of civil aircraft!! I like mine pugnaceous!

Looking good, Kit!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 30, 2011, 05:43:47 PM

I have some small detail decals to add yet, plus all the other side of course. Then it's back to the darned engines, final assembly and adding the landing gear. 42 days to go.........

Bound to be several people at SMW saying you just jut up and stuck some 777 fuselages end to end to make this not realising how much work and time has gone into this.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on October 01, 2011, 03:48:37 AM
Bound to be several people at SMW saying you just jut up and stuck some 777 fuselages end to end to make this not realising how much work and time has gone into this.

I fully expect that, yes.

But then they would probably never tried it and probably won't even be airliner modellers. I don't care, I've wanted to build that beast for 15 years, and now I have.  ;D

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

The good side....

This looks very impressive Kit, are you going to do the other side with other airlines schemes ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

No, it's symmetrical as there were only six members of the Star Alliance when they were running the advert. It'll be just the same as the port side and in the same order too. The only differences are the various logos will be 'handed'.

Still got to do those blasted engines though.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

sequoiaranger

Famous Pr_19 quote:

"Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings"

Apparently you have taken on a new mantra and "switched" to fuselages!  ;)

>Since then I've always wanted to make that 777 and 2008 is the year!<

You've s-t-r-e-t-c-h-ed out the building time almost as much as the fuselage!!

Good thing this is a "flying" model, or you would need a dozen "nosewheels" along the fuselage!!

And...anthonyp...canards are not necessary to lift the nose--an announcement comes on the Tannoy that all passengers are to rush to the rear on takeoff (kinda like "Das Boot").

As far as side-to-side manuvering---when the runway itself is built pointed directly at the destination, no deviation is necessary!!

After the Star Alliance was done with the "promo" plane, I heard they scoured out the inside and made another "Chunnel" out of it!

Anyway, classic, beautiful build!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sequoiaranger on October 01, 2011, 08:24:49 AM
Famous Pr_19 quote:

"Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings"

Apparently you have taken on a new mantra and "switched" to fuselages!  ;)

Anything is better if it's longer, or so I'm told anyway...........  ;)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

NOW we're cooking with gas!  ;D :lol:

Got the basic decals on the left hand side, and I had to re-print most of them as the 3 yr delay between me making the first lot would seem to the be cause of the colour leaching problem. Newly printed ones work just great and snuggle down nicely without the aid of 'Sol.

The good side....

The 'nude' side.   ;)

OUCH!  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

I'm doing some work for my old firm this week coming, down in Hampshire, and as decalling is one thing that you can do in a hotel room without making too much of a mess I'm taking the -900 with me so I can continue.  ;)

Goodness KNOWS what the room cleaners will think when they see that monster but I've printed out a big 'DO NOT TOUCH' sign just so they don't undo all my good work.............

Regards
Kit

anthonyp

If you're still having issues with the decals, Bare-metal Foil Co. in Michigan makes AWESOME decal paper and liquid decal film.  They make their sheets in 8 1/2" x 11" and come in clear and white background.  I use that along with the liquid decal film to make my custom decals.  They work great together.

As for the monstrosity (which I'm calling this from now on), looks AWESOME!!!  Hopefully nothing happens to it while you're away from home base.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man