F-416 Barracuda

Started by sotoolslinger, December 05, 2008, 07:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Love the look of the thing, sotoolslinger. You're making the Starfighter attractive, something I never thought possible! Those canards are coooool. I'm not a fan of the lumpy bits - I'd agree that it would look better "clean", but hey, it's your build. For the "spine", I'd suggest using some tubing, and making a spine with constant cross-section rather than a hump-backed shape. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Maybe something like this Mig 21 has: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Mig-21_yu.JPG :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sotoolslinger

Thanks y'all I also think it looks cooler clean but I actually try to be somewhat realistic and practical :rolleyes: :lol:. I have shortened the fuselage but added a much larger engine  and while I have added bigger wings and they are wet I wan't to have sidewinders on the wingtips instead of tanks so the conformal tanks have to be there or it would have no range. The plane will have a 20 mm gatling with a 1000 round drum situated behind the pilot so I have to have the avionics hump as I don't want it to be just a dayfighter. I thought about having the hump be just a cylinder but I have always liked the one they put on the 'hawks and I think the new square ones on the F-16'S looks like hammered s. :wacko: .The base model of this fighter would actually be clean without all the humps but this is the advanced version with all the bells and whistles. ;D
The canards will be flapped but the intake rams are not fixed on this plane and are linked to the canard controls to keep airflow to the engine smooth :mellow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Weaver

Fair enough - the "endlessly modded late version" is a look in itself. :thumbsup: The humps on Skyhawks are actually square-section too (they've got square boxes in them, after all) but they look nicer because the upper corners are well rounded.

In the same vein, how about an "afterthought" fixed IFR probe with a faired-in external fuel line running past the cockpit to get to the tanks? Mirage F1s have a particularly nice one, and somehow I don't think the rest of the kit would go to waste in your hands....

The intake vs canards idea is interesting: perhaps the shockcones pivot up and down as well as retracting to modify the airflow into the engine? The French call half-cone centrebodies "souris" (mice), so what does that make these? Twitchy mice?  ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

JP Vieira

It looks very good so far...keep it up :thumbsup:

sotoolslinger

Thanks JP ;D I appreciate the link you put in your thread :thumbsup:
Weaver I think the fixed IFR probe is a great idea and need more Mirages anyway what specific kit are you talking about so I can get one? 
I did take your advice about the canards in part. :thumbsup: The flappy part is outboard of the intakes

BTW  the intake spikes(to make the design less complex and therefor cheaper) only tilt they do not move in and out. Also at certain speed ranges the spikes and the canards "lock out" to fixed position  to avoid stalls.
PSR

Public Service Announcement
Photo Bucket's copy feature is not compatible with the latest ADOBE 10+ HOWEVER you do not have to hit Control C to copy
Highlight the IMG code LEAVE THE CURSOR ON IT right click ,select copy, go to your post right click , Paste
I amuse me.

Weaver

IFR probe:

Ah, you got me there: I was thinking about the real aircraft and since I don't do 1/48th, I'm not too sure what's around. A quick look on the internet reveals that the ONLY affordable F1 kit generally available (unless something new's just come out) is an old ESCI one, variously re-boxed and/or updated by Italieri/Revell. It doesn't get great reviews, but then a lot of the crits would be irrelevent for whiffery purposes. I wouldn't pay very much for one, and if buying off ebay, I'd make SURE that the IFR probe was included since I'm not convinced it's in the earlier versions.

Anyway, don't get hung up on the Mirage F1. It only occured to me because the fixed IFR probe is nice-looking since it has a curvy, aerofoil fairing around it instead of being just a sticky-out pipe. There may well be other probes that would do the job and there's always the option of making the whole thing from scratch since you'd almost certainly have to make the probe-to-tanks pipe anyway.

Canards:

That's a good solution!  :thumbsup: I was looking at the wing vs centre-of-gravity situation earlier and it struck me that it would more likely be a stable canard (like a Viggen) rather than an unstable canard (like a Typhoon), and given the limitations of flight-control avionics in your stated timeframe, that would be the more likely option.

Intakes:

Since the canards are now fixed and their moving surface is outboard of the intakes, you don't really need the cones to tilt any more, but having them retract will still bring speed advantages. Retracting is also the cheaper, easier option (tilting's a bit "brave"). Actually (and yes, I know it's a bit late for this now) if you've got a much bigger engine than the F-104 and you want "simple", you could leave them out altogether: after all, late Drakens and F-16s manage to do Mach=2 on fixed intakes....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

When I saw F-416 I thought you were going to use four Starfighters!  Now that's an idea, four J79's stacked like this......

If ever you feel like bashing a B-1B, you know the way to go!!! :thumbsup:

I agree with others, not over keen on the bulges but don't let us stop you. Weave mentioned the canards, another option would be to extend the intakes forward & mount the canards on them?

Keep it coming! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sotoolslinger

Thanks y'all good advice all the way around.We'll go with the in and out on the rams cause I don't have that many parts with me . I don't think I have any IFR probes even at home so I will just have to look it up and see what I can scratch up. :wacko:
Mossie I was wondering what I was going to do with that B-1 :thumbsup: SAVED TO HD
I amuse me.

Mossie

It's one of several Myais..., Myassses...., Myasishchev proposals for the contract that was won by the equally headturning Sukhoi T-4.  It's worth getting hold of Soviet Secret Projects: Bombers Since 1945 just for inspiration, you can blatantly rob features from several designs!  Maybe Santa might bring it if you've been a good boy???

More here:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1661.0/highlight,myasishchev.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sotoolslinger

I have been a very good boy ;D I have only blatantly stolen several ideas this year instead of my usual hundreds :rolleyes:
I amuse me.

cthulhu77

Personally, I like bumps. (Get your mind out of the gutter)  It is looking quite sleek, with those massive canards, it would be a great slow speed agile dogfighter !

sotoolslinger

Well at least someone likes my bumps, my humps, my humps......I'll get me goat, uh coat ;D :wacko: :rolleyes:
Hump 1 will have more antenna thingies

I amuse me.

Weaver

Now don't get the hump..........

Coat, hat, gone......

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Throwing stuff at Weaver as he exits ;D
I amuse me.