32 scale P-51

Started by noxioux, December 06, 2008, 09:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noxioux

LOL.  At least you'd know it was a goofy plane. My giftee just likes planes.  But that's okay.

noxioux

Latest pics, and first big mistake.  I forgot to paint the light blue underside before doing the stars.  Ugh.  Oh well.  One thing that's really great about working in this scale, is the ease in which some things can be done.  These bigger birds are far easier builds.

So, I guess I'll focus on repainting the bottom side pale blue, and redoing the stars. :wub:  Oh, and I need to practice my "Za Rodinu".  I think I will simply write that in by hand with a brush pen.  That's the theory, anyhow.  I may end up redoing the stars on the fuselage, too.  I don't think they're quite big enough.

BTW, the stars were masked with old UPS labels (which peeled off very nicely), and airbrushed Tamiya flat red.  The white is the newfangled flat Krylon, with the nifty new spray tip.

Captain Canada

That last pic is a great reminder of how sexy an aeroplane the old Mustang really is. Damn.

:wub:

Great job so far. As for the wee mess-up.....when you do a small boo-boo on such a large model, does that make it a 'big' mistake ?

:banghead: :thumbsup: :tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

jorel62

Coming along real nice.......

Brian da Basher

I'd leave it all-over white, noxioux! Looks smashing with those red stars!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Nox

Decals left British airspace on Wednesday !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

sotoolslinger

That's gorgeous Nox .IMHO I would leave it white also :wub: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

noxioux

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on December 20, 2008, 06:42:50 AM
Nox

Decals left British airspace on Wednesday !

Ian

Thanks Ian!  It looks like I'll be needing them. :thumbsup:

noxioux

This is a poor picture, but you should be able to get the idea.  There's a small disk magnet glued to the top of that spar on the model, inside the engine bay.  Then, I've glued a very small piece of a steel staple into a groove in the engine cover.  When you set the engine cover in place, the magnet grabs it, and it doesn't go anywhere.  Now all I've done so far is the top, but I'll place at least one more set of magnets to help keep the engine covers located properly.

Stay tuned for finished piccies.  All that's left are some stars, and a nice "Za Rodinu" on the side. :party:

BlackOps

I'm gonna have to try the magnet trick! I've got a 1/32 Hellcat in the stash that might be a good candidate for this procedure.  Although, I have to admit after seeing your Mustang, it's sure tempting to pick one up  ;D
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

noxioux

Well, here are some final pics of this bird.  I had to get it out the door for the holidays, so I wasn't able to use Ian's stars.  However, I have a good follow-up idea for those.

As you may have noticed, I couldn't help but use that cute little shanghai dragon decal.  It doesn't fit, but what the heck.

The Za Rodinu will come later, when I'm less shaky, courtesy of a Faber-Castell Pitt brush pen.

:cheers:

sotoolslinger

That is a singularly beautiful model :wub: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

Spectacular....you've managed to pull together all the elements perfectly.   :thumbsup:

Now, for the handwritten Cyrillic, don't forget: sufficient quantity of Russian vodka will calm your brush-hand.   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.