Motherload of Russian "what-ifs"

Started by overscan, January 10, 2004, 12:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Yeah, thanks ! Interesting stuff there, eh ?!

I really like that Ye-8, especially that front 3/4 view from above......what a looker !

Cheers !

Toadman
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

overscan

It looks like the fuzzy bunny child of the MiG-21PF and a Eurofighter ;)
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

TsrJoe

Waw, whan can one say...your images are one of the reasons i joined this group (that and the friendy chat  :cheers: )

if you come across anything on any of the original T.6/Su.24 competitors id love to see it...so far iv found stuff on the Yakovlev 33 designs, but as yet not much on the Mikoyan and other companies designs!

again many thanks for posting these up,

cheers, joe  :ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

retro_seventies

marvellous...

many many many thanks overscan, some GREAT looking ideas there - incidentally, i once had an idea for a cranked delta wing to be fitted to an a-7 (it was going to be an raf, us navy or israeli re-winging/re-engining/avionics/fbw update), and the very spiffy looking mig-21 with the proto tu-144 wing kinda reminded me of it...

great stuff...

thanks again!
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

overscan

Well I'd like to see the Yakovlev 33 stuff ;)

Here's the first Sukhoi design for what ended up as the Su-24, the S-6. Not an inspiring start...

The Orion radar that ended up in the Su-24 was originally supposed to be suspended from the Su-7 in a pod, but it was soon clear that it would be fairly massive- in fact its about 1.4m across- and not likely to get much smaller. In fact, the main reason for the side-by-side seating of the T-6 was that the huge radar needed a wide fuselage anyway.
"What if?" addict

overscan

Wasn't Yak-33 a rival to the T-4 rather than the T-6?
"What if?" addict

overscan

AFAIK, in the early 60s all work on new fighters/bombers ceased due to Khrushchev's missile obsession. The only work allowed was on upgrades to existing programs.

Sukhoi binned the S-6, and started on a new design called T-58M (T-58 being the Su-15) which was really a cover designation for a new project which shared little other than wing planform.  Tupolev did the same kind of thing with the Tu-22M.

After Khrushchev got ousted, it was again acceptable to talk about new designs. The T-58M became the T-6.

One of the Su-24 designers (Felsner I think) said that the delta winged T-6 was a damn fine aircraft, but TsAGI and the customer said "VG" so thats what they got.    
"What if?" addict

TsrJoe

not sure...the best reference i have on the Yak 33 is Putnam's 'Yakovlev Aircraft since 1934' (pages 174/175) which mentions the design as a 'short take off. low altitude, tactical supersonic bomber' (ill get the drawings of the 2 versions illustrated scanned in and posted up!)

others iv found mentioned to a similar specification, but alas with no illustrations, are the Mikoyan Ye.155 ShR? and possibly other MiG. designs, but again i am unsure as to their connection (if any?) with the Su.24 specification for a low altitude tactical bomber?

again many thanks, cheers, joe  :ph34r:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

lancer

Overscan, this stuff is awsome!!! Huge thanks for putting it up. Personally I think the Russian aircraft industry is in some wauys way more advances tha it's western counter part. SOme of these designs are truely cosmic!!. I wish I could build some of them...
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

overscan

Well, the "Sh" designation means "Shturmovik". According to Yefim Gordon, two such projects (Ye-155Sh for pure attack role, Ye-155ShR for dual role attack/recce) were briefly considered but soon dismissed due to the unsuitability of the MiG-25 for low altitude missions.  
"What if?" addict

overscan

The Ye-155MF pictured earlier was a 1972 proposal for a high speed high altitude aircraft for anti-radar and precision bombing, with a typical armament of 4 Kh-58 underwing and 12 FAB-250 bombs in an internal bay. The Su-24 was already in production as early as 1971 (before testing of the prototypes was finished, and which proved premature as modification after modification was introduced) and the Ye-155MF never really had a chance at being produced.
"What if?" addict

Geoff_B

Hi Overscan

Lots of nice data there and plenty of ideas for future projects. Do you have the drawings for that Mig-31/Mig-23 hybrid by any chance ?

Cheers

Thor B)  

overscan

Sorry I've never seen a three view of that project. I have one more pic of the model, but its basically exactly the same angle from the other side.

It was an early study, based on the MiG-25 with wings and tail *very* similar to the MiG-23 but scaled up in size. I think given MiG-25 and MiG-23 plans you could make a fair stab at it ;)

TsrJoe-

I've checked it out, the only direct rival to the Su-24 seems to have been the Tu-128B project, which was a fairly unexciting bomber version of the Tu-128.
"What if?" addict

Geoff_B

Quoteapart from the 23 with the TSR2 style intakes and a larger 21 wing

Hi Lee

Is this the one your thinking about  by any chance ?

And as for the Mig-21 variants , doesn't somebody already do them ?

Cheers

Thor B)  

nev

4 pages of images?  :o

One to check out at work with their high speed connection methinks :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May