Motherload of Russian "what-ifs"

Started by overscan, January 10, 2004, 12:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe C-P

QuoteInterestingly, Sukhoi received full details of the A-10 design in 1971 (before the first flight, and briefly flirted with the idea of copying its layout but decided that to much work was invested in their existing design.
Also interesting was the alternate design to the A-10, the A-9, which looks much like an Su-25!  :huh:  
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

overscan

The basic configuration of the Su-25 was defined as early as 1968, before they got the AX details.  Sukhoi looked at OV-10A Bronco, SAAB 105, A-4, A-7 and Il-40 when refining their basic ideas. Of course, they were probably pleased that Northrop were thinking along the same lines...
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

elmayerle

QuoteThe basic configuration of the Su-25 was defined as early as 1968, before they got the AX details.  Sukhoi looked at OV-10A Bronco, SAAB 105, A-4, A-7 and Il-40 when refining their basic ideas. Of course, they were probably pleased that Northrop were thinking along the same lines...
I rather imagine Northrop's designers felt much the same.  Biggest difference is engines, Sukhoi used "off the shelf" while Northrop used a turbofan derived from an existing turboprop/turboshaft engine.  Trivia Bit:  After the competition the spare engines for Northrop's entry were used to power NASA's LSRA.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

overscan

Well the Su-25 wasn't considered high priority so it wasn't possible to commission a new engine.
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

elmayerle

As I understand it, the A-9's engine was a spinoff of work Avo-Lycoming was already doing rather than a dedicated new engine.  This work evolved into the ALF502 enignes on the BAe146 and others.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Matt_S

QuoteHere's a fictious A-10/Su-25 hybrid- looks quite nice, but I'm not sure about scaling...
Now THAT looks cool. B)

Matt :tank:  

redstar72

Here are A-10, A-9, Il-102, and Su-25 in the same scale.
Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast

Taiidantomcat

That is supremely gorgeous  :wub: Thanks for sharing all these Overscan  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

redstar72

Quote from: elmayerle on January 13, 2004, 11:43:18 AM
Biggest difference is engines, Sukhoi used "off the shelf"

It isn't quite right - the Tumansky R-95Sh engine was designed in 1979 specially for Su-25, although it was derived from R-13F-300 engine used on MiG-21 and Su-15 (R-95Sh was, in fact, R-13F-300 without afterburner).
Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast