Turboprop F4U Corsair in Vietnam

Started by Ed S, December 08, 2008, 08:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

Masterful bash and beautifully executed all around
Now up for a whiffy :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

kitnut617

That's notched the bar up a few notches Ed, very, verrrry nice  :bow:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Now that is cool ! Amazing to see how much diferent she looks froma  real Corsair. Almost like a cross between a Spit and a Firefly in one pic. Love the new prop as well.

Great job !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

frank2056

That's an amazing looking plane, Ed. I like it in gray.

Frank

ElectrikBlue

Woooooooooooooooo... it's a beauty Ed!  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Love the six blade propeller and the new shape of the enlarged tail fin.  :wub:

Regards,

EB

Eddie M.

A very powerful looking aircraft. Well done. I can see it sitting at a model show and a couple of dudes walk up and one says to the other," Oh yeah, I remember when those flew in......"   ;D
Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

Absolutely gorgeous, Ed! That weathering is par excellence!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

One of my favorite aircraft given the Ed S treatment....ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.  It's all good, baby!

With that turbo exhaust, hope the pilot always remembers to exit on the opposite side after a hot mission.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

MihoshiK

What's that saying again? If it looks good it'll fly good?

If that's true, then this must have flown like an angel of wrath.

What an amazingly good looking model.

geschwarz

Does anyone have any pictures of the turboprop Corsair???  I just learned that my long lost uncle flew that plane.  At the urging of his wife he said he bombed a bridge with it.  That's all I could get out of him...he basically told me that he will not talk about his experience in Vietnam.  I think a lot of veterans of combat kinda freak out about having killed people and they really want to distance themselves from their past in every way they can.

He served 3 tours beginning in 1966 mostly flying Phantoms.  I've searched the www and can find no photos of this airplane.

sturmvogel

Quote from: geschwarz on September 24, 2013, 08:06:03 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of the turboprop Corsair???  I just learned that my long lost uncle flew that plane.  At the urging of his wife he said he bombed a bridge with it.  That's all I could get out of him...he basically told me that he will not talk about his experience in Vietnam.  I think a lot of veterans of combat kinda freak out about having killed people and they really want to distance themselves from their past in every way they can.

He served 3 tours beginning in 1966 mostly flying Phantoms.  I've searched the www and can find no photos of this airplane.
F4U's were last used with the US military during the Korean conflict. May he have flown the A-7 Corsair II?
"Helos don't fly, they vibrate so hard the ground rejects them." -Tom Clancy

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off

geschwarz

That's false.  My uncle described the turboprop F4U he flew in Vietnam just as it is shown in this thread.  They probably only made a hand full of them, and none of them ever returned to the States.  It is possible they were all modified in the Philippines, where there is a large skilled labor force around Clark AFB.  That might explain why there are no photographs of it taken here in the states, to be found on the internet.  He also spoke very briefly of the secret missions over Laos and Cambodia.  So that would further explain why there are no photos of these planes at his base...it was all secret.

geschwarz

How can I reach Ed S, the guy with the model of the turboprop F4U?  He must have photos of that thing or he's going by memory, meaning that he was there in Vietnam with my uncle.

sturmvogel

Quote from: geschwarz on September 25, 2013, 05:54:46 PM
That's false.  My uncle described the turboprop F4U he flew in Vietnam just as it is shown in this thread.  They probably only made a hand full of them, and none of them ever returned to the States.  It is possible they were all modified in the Philippines, where there is a large skilled labor force around Clark AFB.  That might explain why there are no photographs of it taken here in the states, to be found on the internet.  He also spoke very briefly of the secret missions over Laos and Cambodia.  So that would further explain why there are no photos of these planes at his base...it was all secret.

I'm pretty sure that no F4U's flew and fought in the Vietnam conflict.  The closest plane to what is shown in this thread is the A-1 Skyraider, but that's piston-engined. I'm really doubting your story, there's too many holes in it.
"Helos don't fly, they vibrate so hard the ground rejects them." -Tom Clancy

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off

Dizzyfugu

Nice. At first glance it looks a bit like an agricultural aircraft - with the typical pointed nose and the high cockpit.  ;)

Well done, esp. because it does not look "over engined", very plausible.  :thumbsup: