BTR-80 hull + T-72 turret = BTR-72 tank destroyer (UPD #2 - Assembly complete)

Started by ChernayaAkula, December 09, 2008, 06:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

So, my 200th post here on Whatifmodelers.  :party: Been a great time so far.  :cheers: What better way to celebrate than post my first work in progress thread. So here goes...

I did this profile for the BTR-60/79/80 thread. A BTR-80 hull with the turret of a T-80 MBT.

Here's what will be involved in building this beast.

As can be seen I use the relatively recent 1/72 Trumpeter BTR-80 and the turret of the also relatively recent Revell T-72M1. The BTR-80 uses a grand total of 67 parts (all parts are shown above), but looks rather nice. The T-72 also looks very nice. Wonder what I'll do with the extra hull.... :wacko:

This is what it looks like out of the box...

...and about an hour later it looks like this. 

The troop compartment had a raised roof, which had to go. Also expendable was the old rotating assembly for the 14.5mm HMG turret. I also deleted most of the firing ports. I only kept those for the driver or radio operator (probably the latter). There'd be no room for infantry to use them anyway, as that's where the ammo would be stored.
The part in white styrene was to be rectangular and follow the lines of the BTR roof, but Revell's T-72 turret has a rather large rotating assembly, which necessitated the bays (hope that's the right term :unsure:). That's one thing that's not readily apparent when modding profiles.  :lol:

So, this is where I'm at. Hope to do some puttying and sanding tomorrow. After that, the assembly will be pretty straightforward with assembly of the rest of the BTR and the turret - and that's that. Stay tuned for more pics tomorrow....
:drink:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

puddingwrestler

Ooo. Interesting.

I believe the technical term is 'extendo bits', but bays works for me.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

BlackOps

Looks like this is going to be a pretty nifty critter! Your off to a nice start  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Maverick

Nifty concept there Moritz.  I wonder if it would be stabler than the Stryker MGS?  Knowing Ivan, it'd be like cast iron & nice and heavy to alleviate any 'issues'.

Regards,

Mav

Sisko

Man that is all kinds of wonderful! :thumbsup:

Would look good in some mid east camo! :wacko:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

rallymodeller

Quote from: Maverick on December 09, 2008, 09:09:32 PM
Nifty concept there Moritz.  I wonder if it would be stabler than the Stryker MGS?  Knowing Ivan, it'd be like cast iron & nice and heavy to alleviate any 'issues'.

Regards,

Mav

Probably not -- the 125mm has pretty hellacious recoil, if you watch any vids.

But when has realism stopped any of us? Really? It looks cool, and that's what matters.

Maybe add a big-donkey muzzle brake?
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

ChernayaAkula

No new pics yet as I'm posting from a PC at the University.
Thanks for the kind words, guys!  :cheers:

I haven't decided about the camo yet. I was leaning towards the tan, olive drab with black stripes type of camo. Like THIS.

Quote from: rallymodeller on December 10, 2008, 01:24:05 AM
Maybe add a big-arse muzzle brake?

Hmm, that's a rather interesting idea. May have to look into that. Maybe something like the PzH 2000 MUZZLE BRAKE? That should be fairly easy to make and yet be effective AND cool-looking. :wacko:

Quote from: puddingwrestler on December 09, 2008, 06:29:56 PM
I believe the technical term is 'extendo bits', but bays works for me.

:lol: Extendo bits it is, then!  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sauragnmon

I was just thinking as I looked at your Extendo Bits, the forward layout of them is a little... flat, to a degree.  You might consider widening the base of them so as to provide something of a deflection angle, a vertical-degree slope.  The outsides are obviously far too extended as it is, so doing more to that might prove a problem.

Quite an interesting little tank destroyer concept though - might actually be able to also alleviate some of the T-72's driver-height requirements as well.  The Chinese had a concept for a tank hunter like that, an eight wheeled chassis... lemme look that up... *goes digging through the internet to Sinodefense, where he knows he's seen it*

Ah, here it is - http://www.sinodefence.com/army/artillery/ptl02.asp  Looks pretty nifty too.  Uses only a 100mm gun, but it also carries ATGMs that are based off the Russian model.

What If... the Russians wanted an amphibious, highly mobile tank hunting vehicle.

Looking good so far, Moritz, keep it up!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Rafael

Wonderful war machine, ChernayaAkula!!!

That roof surgery really went well :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

gunfighter

That seems a nice counterpart for the american AGS, great idea!

PanzerWulff

I would like to try something similar using a ZSU 23-4 turret Great job so far I can't wait to see more  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

ChernayaAkula

Thanks, guys!  :cheers:
A bit of an update. Was busy today so I the putty isn't sanded yet. But since I promised pics here are some that show the general layout of the vehicle once assembled (hull bottom and top aren't glued yet). The turret is still pretty nekkid, as there were some seams to be puttied. It will look a lot wider and longer once all the bits and pieces are attached.

Profile shot:

I will probably add a "big-arse muzzle brake" TM later on.  :wacko:

Due to the camera angle, the extendo bits don't seem to extend as much as they really do.

Movable turret:

It's been a nice, smooth-going project so far. The fit of the Trumpeter parts is great. Some caution is needed with the rear two "axles". The first part to be installed has an A shape to it. The / and \ of the A need to have some plastic shaved off about halfway down to allow the second part with the springs to fit (will make sense if you see it). So watch out there! :lol:

Quote from: Sauragnmon on December 10, 2008, 08:26:45 AM
I was just thinking as I looked at your Extendo Bits, the forward layout of them is a little... flat, to a degree. <...>

Yeah, you're right. I didn't pay attention to that, as I was happy the rather complex white styrene part came out the way it did with not too much fitting and adjusting. I measured the width a little too generous and didn't pay further attention to that. When it was all glued up I noticed the "extendo bits" do stand out a bit as the rest of the vehicle is well sloped.

Quote from: PanzerWulff on December 10, 2008, 12:30:58 PM
I would like to try something similar using a ZSU 23-4 turret <...>

That should look pretty cool, too! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Logan Hartke

Very cool.  I take it you've seen the Cuban take on a similar conversion (though with older pieces)?

I wouldn't recommend firing with the gun pointed to the side!

Logan Hartke

PanzerWulff

Kinda reminds me of the south african Rooikat,More please MOOOOOOORE  :wub: :wub: :wub:
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!