North American Aviation Lenticular Space Bomber

Started by Orionblamblam, December 11, 2008, 06:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orionblamblam

KJ_Lesnick

Kind of reminds me of an ogival hypersonic transport idea I cooked up.  It had a similar kind of ogival/spatular-nose, though the spatular section only was 1/2 the wingspan with the rest of the wing looking similar to the LERX on the F/A-18E; it had a compression ramp, an expansion ramp, and the engine-bay on the underside.
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Are you sure that's not a re-painted toilet seat cover?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on November 10, 2010, 01:36:42 PM
Or one of those George Foreman frier thingies?
;D ;D

No, I've got one of those and it's a lot thicker than that. (Works a treat to warm up styrene for plunge moulding too....  ;D)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 10, 2010, 02:00:11 PM
Quote from: kitbasher on November 10, 2010, 01:36:42 PM
Or one of those George Foreman frier thingies?
;D ;D

No, I've got one of those and it's a lot thicker than that. (Works a treat to warm up styrene for plunge moulding too....  ;D)

You will never see that tip in any of the magazines either  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Glenn

It just shows you that you don't have to buy 'a model' when you can go to a hardware or department store and butcher something from anything. IE, once Easter comes along, clear plastic Easter Egg containers make great cockpit canopies.
Glenn

KJ_Lesnick

I've heard some contradictory data about the LRV: Some said it was nuclear powered, others say it had a solar sail system instead since it was actually more practical; Others said it would be launched atop a Saturn-type rocket, others said a Titan II, some said it had a nuclear rocket that would allow it to rocket into space, some claims were made that it had a helium tank to inflate a massive series of balloons to lift it up to altitude and then rockets would carry it the rest of the way to orbit.

The problem with the LRV seems basically as follows

• It's a bad deterrent system as it's existence would lead to a space-weapons race which we could actually lose: The US is more technologically advanced, but the Russians are can mobilize tremendous resources under sheer might
  • Keeping it secret removes the deterrent value and instead makes it an ace in the hole: Works if you plan to use it for a first strike, but if your enemy finds out it could be perceived as a doomsday weapon, which it of course would be, you could get nuked.
  • The warheads were supposed to be several small warheads per missile (4), which would likely be inadequate for destruction of hardened target, which would mean it would be a counter-value only weapon: Counter-value weapons as a first strike is disgusting and rather pointless as the people who caused things to get so insane effectively survive in bunkers while millions get vaporized or roasted largely for doing nothing.
  • Submarines can do the same job and don't trigger a space-race: They are either first or second strike depending on yield, accuracy, policy
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Glenn on August 06, 2011, 12:43:17 AM
It just shows you that you don't have to buy 'a model' when you can go to a hardware or department store and butcher something from anything. IE, once Easter comes along, clear plastic Easter Egg containers make great cockpit canopies.
Glenn

I've seen someone turn a 'Dustbuster' hand-held vacuum cleaner into a spacecraft, though I can't recall where he got the Big-Donkey engine pods from.