F-86 Sabre biplane - Update# 1 - Dec, 23

Started by ChernayaAkula, December 12, 2008, 09:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

So, what's the world speed record for bipes?  :wacko:

I saw this pic some time ago over on Flugzeugforum.de. It probably appeared first in THIS THREAD on some other site.

When I first saw that pic, I wasn't sure whether it was a Photoshop (it is!) or not, but I really liked the concept. So I decided to go ahead and get two 1/72 Hobby Boss Sabres - an F-86F-30 and an F-86F-40. Here are the first pics.

A complete and a chopped up fuselage. Most of the chopped up fuselage will be scrapped. The important part is the cockpit assembly. The photoshopped Sabre had its cockpit set farther back in the fuselage than a normal Sabre.

The second cockpit added to the no longer complete fuselage. The white part is some styrene to restore the nose shape without using too much putty. It's faster this way, sands better and is easier to rescribe. 

The fuselage in profile. The relocated cockpit is evident. The old windscreen would have started at the tip of the white styrene part.

The wings:

The one on the left side is the shorter F-86F-30 wing. It will be the lower wing. The longer F-86F-40 wing will form the new upper wing. I'll probably use the drop tank pylon holes for the struts.

Today was razor saw frenzy. Tomorrow will see the putty rampage! :lol:

I'm still undecided regarding the paint scheme. A WW I scheme? Inter-war? WW II? Korea? A 1950s X-plane livery (world record for bipes, for instance)? :unsure:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Tophe

Nice project! Have faith and go ahead... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Jeffry Fontaine

Looks like a candidate for "Crimson Skies" to compete with the propeller equipped opponents
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Cobra

I Agree!!!!! either 'Crimson Skies' or somehting out of some Pulp adventure Novel!!!! Very Cool Model!!!

sequoiaranger

>A 1950s X-plane livery (world record for bipes, for instance)? So, what's the world speed record for bipes?  <

Sorry, but the world record for bipes has already been taken by my Fairey Cuttlefish!  :wacko:

Still, I honor the concept and would love to see it when you're done!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

cthulhu77

:cheers:  Love it !  I'd like to see it done up in the French WW1 tank scheme...camo with dark outlines.  This is going to drive the jmn's batty !

Big Bird

noxioux

That is seriously badass :wacko:.  I know the jet biplane thing has surfaced here from time to time, but I haven't seen too many actual builds.  Wicked :wub: :wub: 

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

SSgt Baloo

Quote from: sequoiaranger on December 13, 2008, 12:21:52 AM
>A 1950s X-plane livery (world record for bipes, for instance)? So, what's the world speed record for bipes?  <

Sorry, but the world record for bipes has already been taken by my Fairey Cuttlefish!  :wacko:

Still, I honor the concept and would love to see it when you're done!

What aircraft is that based upon? Are there any more pictures of it?
Not older than dirt but remembers when it was still under warranty.

sequoiaranger

>What aircraft is that based upon? Are there any more pictures of it?<

No more pics of it, but the drawing shows a lot.

Model based on F-101 Voodoo for bottom fuselage and twin jets, Lockheed T-33 top fuselage, canopy, and tailpipe (torpedo tube), two "snark" missile wings.

Presumably a highly-maneuverable, high-lift, carrier-capable jet torpedo bomber. It's a Fairey product because they love biplanes and torpedo-bombers. Since those early jets had poor wing lift at low speeds, the biplane configuration "cures" that!

The Cuttlefish would be heavier than the Bipe-F-86, but the Cuttlefish had twin engines, also, so in all honesty the "speed record" might be up for grabs.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

ChernayaAkula

Thanks for the kind words!  :cheers:

Didn't get anything done today. Maybe an update in the next few days.

I suppose with it's Voodoo-powers the Cuttlefish will be a tad faster than this one. :lol: Ah, maybe it can set a speed record for single-engined bipes?  ;D
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

BlackOps

Looks like you've got a bit of work ahead of you, but anyone persistant enough to cut through a thick hobbyboss kit is already well on his way! Looks to be a pretty neat build  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

ChernayaAkula

^ Yup, I luvs ma razor saw and fretsaw!  ;D No kiddin' about the thickness. Hobby Boss really went overboard on the thickness. But it cuts and sands rather nicely. If this build turns out okay I may have a look at doing an F-84G biplane.
Cheers,
Moritz