Halftracks (M3, Sdkfz.251, and others) Questions and What-if Ideas?

Started by dy031101, December 14, 2008, 06:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

I find myself wondering, almost, if Christie mightn't have thought different of the tank if he'd seen a half track in action - he fancied road mobility so much, the Christie Conversion concept might have been more effective had it been done in practice with a tank - have the drivetrain designed so that the idler turns into a second drive axle when the tracks are disengaged, so it switches between being essentially a heavy wheeled tank and a half track tank depending on situation.

I always thought a Half-tracked tank might look pretty fetching if designed right...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

dy031101

Quote from: Sauragnmon on September 15, 2009, 01:53:46 PM
I always thought a Half-tracked tank might look pretty fetching if designed right...

I like the idea, too......  :cheers:

Actually I was kinda thinking about a good armoured halftrack personnel carrier first and then a light-tank/tank destroyer derivative.  Except that in WWII it was usually the other way around (for turreted varieties)......  :banghead:
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

NARSES2

Strange how these things crop up. I was watching "Churchill's Bodyguard" on tv yesterday and they had some old stock footage of US Arny manouvers (possibly just pre-war) where the entrenched "enemy" mg's were attacked by what looked like M3 halftracks (may have been M2's difficult to be accurate in the clouds of dust) which had been made to look like tanks with the aid of false "skirts and turrets". They screeched to a handbrake turn/halt, disgorged a load of troops in gas masks and captured the mg gunners  ;D Made me think "turreted half tracks ..... uhmmmm ?"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

GTX

Quote from: dy031101 on September 16, 2009, 08:56:10 PM
Quote from: Sauragnmon on September 15, 2009, 01:53:46 PM

I like the idea, too......  :cheers:

Sounds like a cracker of an idea :thumbsup:.  Here's some possible inspiration:

This was the Marmon-Herrington DHT-5 of 1940.  Fitted with 37mm main gun in fully traversing turret + .50 MG in front glacis plate.  Whilst I have seen numerous half-tracks fitted with guns in the rear this is the only one that approaches the idea of a 'half-track tank' that I have seen.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Sauragnmon

One interesting concept would start small - half-track convert something like a BT-7, since it had a steering gear and everything in the front axle anyways.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sauragnmon

I seriously was thinking something with some serious kick at the long stretch - I guess a HT converted Merkava with that nice front engine and the rear turret would be an interesting fit.

Weaver

How about something articulated, i.e. like a Twister but with tracks on the rear body? I recall seeing a Lockheed model which had a large turret in the middle on a drum-shaped hull, with a fixed "engine body" behind it and an articulated "steering body" ahead of it, each with four wheels.

This could actually be a logical justification for a modern half-track: you get all the steering benefits of the articulated, wheeled front end, and extra traction at the rear.

All images from Hans Rosloot's very excellent amphibians site here: http://www.amphibiousvehicle.net/index.html
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

frank2056

Quote from: apophenia on September 19, 2009, 01:59:23 PM
A less ambitious conversion would be to adapt elements of the BT-7 track to the BA-6/BA-10 series armoured cars.

The BA-6 had tracks that could be fitted around the two rear tires; they looked a lot like BT-7 tracks, only with rounded edges.

Sauragnmon

The articulated system is an interesting one - it might be interestingly applicable on a half tracked setup definately.  The design would look good on a tank design if I'm not mistaken, at least to me.

Sauragnmon

Leaves one to wonder if a wheeled LAV can't be given a spare axle on a partial drivetrain - think 4x4 style where this axle only kicks in Sometimes.  The spare axle holds the drive sprockets for when the tracks are applied, digging into holes set in the band tracks to provide constant drive in tire-slip conditions.

Mossie

Found some more info on the halftrack Jeep variants posted by Greg some time back:  Jeep Halftracks

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

I drive past a Claas showroom sometimes, I've seen their 'Terra Trac' halftrack variant of the Lexion Harvester.  Armour the cab, put a mine flail on instead of the blades?

The reverse layout reminded me, the first tank was a halftrack:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

raafif

Found while researching my articles on Halftracks 1900 to 2000 ...

prototype for Austrian ski-field customers -- it's now being restored.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.