Halftracks (M3, Sdkfz.251, and others) Questions and What-if Ideas?

Started by dy031101, December 14, 2008, 06:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on October 08, 2010, 02:01:50 AM
[ Along with the large numbers of Lend-Lease Shermans, the real picture of Soviet equipment is rather different compared to how they tried to portray it in history.

Loads of Valentines plus some Churchill's and Matildas (I think off the top of my head)

Quote from: dy031101 on October 08, 2010, 09:59:37 AM

... but given the example shown by the Cuckoo Panthers, I suppose my idea of emergency TDs made out of captured halftracks would still not have been out of question......  :wacko:

No... a Sdfkz 250, whatever with a 6 pounder ? M3 with a 50mm Pak ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dy031101

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 09, 2010, 02:28:14 AM

Somehow I'm tempted to see a 3-inch gun when it comes to American contraptions.  :wacko:
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

NARSES2

Quote from: dy031101 on October 09, 2010, 06:27:06 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 09, 2010, 02:28:14 AM

Somehow I'm tempted to see a 3-inch gun when it comes to American contraptions.  :wacko:

Yup, up front with a "flying Column" at the end of the War ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dy031101

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 09, 2010, 07:34:09 AM

For added motivation, possibly including someone experienced in having his towed gun overrun before.  ;D

====================

To-do list here

NARSES2

Quote from: dy031101 on October 09, 2010, 08:27:11 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 09, 2010, 07:34:09 AM

For added motivation, possibly including someone experienced in having his towed gun overrun before.  ;D

;D ;D

Mossie

Found this pic on Secret Projects of an Alvis Saladin with a half track arrangement similar to the Bandtrack mentioned earlier.  Maybe a more conventional half track might be an option for the JB Models/Airfix kit?

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

dy031101

Quote from: Mossie on December 17, 2010, 02:41:28 PM
Maybe a more conventional half track might be an option for the JB Models/Airfix kit?

I can think of little to say other than "um...... cool half-track tank......  :cheers: "  Talk about an awesome idea.

====================

To-do list here

Martin H

Quote from: Mossie on December 17, 2010, 02:41:28 PM
Maybe a more conventional half track might be an option for the JB Models/Airfix kit?

A bit like this?

Some thing I knocked up a few years ago.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

dy031101

There are a couple more pictures of HKP-902 first mentioned by rickshaw here.

====================

To-do list here

raafif

there's this SdKfz.250 Nue with extended rear end & Pak-38, modified (maybe immediately postwar) by Jugoslavia & now in the Belgrade Fortress -- 35th conversion available from New Connection.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

dy031101

Came across this manga contraption this morning.

Apparently intended to be a multi-turret heavy tank, which isn't exactly my cut of tea in terms of execution, but the turret appearance did make me think...... a HKP-902-like halftrack version of Cromwell/Comet?

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

Moving into a new house this week......

Unfortunately what this past week yielded includes a failed attempt to produce a mental note on a Cromwell hull combined with Sd.Kfz. 251 nose and Comet turret (because I, amongst other reasons, chose to use the unfamiliar Paint  :banghead:), hoping for something similar in style to the Selbstfahrlafette II......

Since I said "failed", I'm not entirely happy with the result- the hull looks to me a bit over-elongated, and the front wheel probably could be bigger......

Maybe I'll try again sometime after the move is more-complete......

Comments and suggestions are welcomed as usual though.

====================

To-do list here

Hobbes

These are some civilian halftracks that might give useful ideas:

These are often used by geology firms for their research (drilling for ground samples, seismic measurements). The tracks are lifted off the ground for on-road use, and lowered (lifting the wheels off the ground) for off-road use.

Dutch company Hovertrack build vehicles for agriculture, some based on truck chassis, others are purpose-built. All can be supplied with tracks around the rear wheels: