Halftracks (M3, Sdkfz.251, and others) Questions and What-if Ideas?

Started by dy031101, December 14, 2008, 06:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raafif

neat 251/105 !!  Just what the Yugoslavs would have done they did add a Pak58 to a SdKfz.250.

What other oddballs ? maybe a Priest refitted with captured 88mm ?
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

dy031101

Quote from: raafif on November 03, 2011, 04:12:20 PM
neat 251/105 !!  Just what the Yugoslavs would have done they did add a Pak58 to a SdKfz.250.

It's actually 3 inch gun M5 (in keeping with the TD theme), although I only approximated its size and probably did not scale it properly......

An assault howitzer built on captured German halftracks sounds pretty cool though.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

pyro-manic

You might want to think about some visual modifications - I'm not sure the GIs would be very happy about riding around in a German vehicle with Typhoons/P-47s on the prowl.... :o
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

dy031101

Quote from: pyro-manic on November 04, 2011, 01:16:46 PM
You might want to think about some visual modifications - I'm not sure the GIs would be very happy about riding around in a German vehicle with Typhoons/P-47s on the prowl.... :o

Big star on the hood...... still thinking about what else I can do.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

raafif

wondering about the mounting position & recoil forces on the chassis - seems that the US halftrack would take the shock with less bucking as the mount is further forward than in the -251 -- would the -251 buck quite a bit without a good muzzel-brake ?

A 251 re-painted US Drab, big white star in a circle & named the "Rock-a-Billy Rebel" ?
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

rickshaw

As long as its fired fore-and-aft and not athwartships it would work.  Both half-tracks might have problems with recoil and broken axles though, being perhaps too light to absorb the recoil.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Joberg

In the strategy game Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank it has a unit editor. I always liked my up gunned m3s I made with a pedestal mount Orlikon cannon mounted in the front and back of the rear compartment..

Logan Hartke

Here's something I cobbled together recently...

Logan's Profiles - SdKfz 231 Halbkettenfahrzeug

(By the way, I'm posting it in multiple threads since you never know where someone might be looking for inspiration months from now.)

Cheers,

Logan

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

scooter

Some of the discussions on the Captured GB - Inspiration Thread on the Sd.Kfz.7 has gotten me to thinking, and not as part of the thread, about if said halftrack could accommodate a 40mm Bofors, in a mounting similar to the Flak 36/37.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

No reason why not, a US M3 variant mounted a Bofors in a turret, while the official test
versions were abandoned as not feasible, a few of these field expedient vehicles
were built in Australia and used in the Phillipines by a US Army AAA battalion.

ysi_maniac

thundereagle1997

M113a5 light tank my f-25 f-53 & f-78 over on armoredryukenshi1984 my account on deviantart

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ysi_maniac