AF-837 Hammerhead

Started by sotoolslinger, December 14, 2008, 08:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Arrrrrgggghhhhh! What a pain! Commiserations Ron - that's a bummer!  :angry: :angry: :angry:

Havn't a clue what caused it, I'm afraid. Only solution I can see is sand back and re-paint, but TEST whatever you use to cover it first, to make sure it doesn't react from underneath.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Ed S

Ohhh. that hurts.   I wonder if you could brush on a coat or two of Future and level out the finish.  Then consider respraying it was flat paint.  I've never used the rattle cans of Dullcoat.  I usually use the bottled Dullcoat and dilute it with Lacquer thinner to spray through my airbrush.  Or you might try one of the acrylic flat finishes available.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

BlackOps

Ya just gotta find a good spin doctor, obviously the Hammerhead is testing a new anti-radar coating (codename - orange peel).

There are times when I wish I could get that effect, sorry that this wasn't one of them for you.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

sotoolslinger

Yeah as bad as it is I can't imagine starting over. If I didn't have the effin decals on already I would strip and repaint. I can't replace the decals though with out actually starting from scratch and printing them custom. I was ready to peel the canopy and mount the danged load out. I can't freaking stand the thought of starting over on this effin putty monster. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Rafael

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Is there any chance of wet sanding a little more? or is the orange peel effect too deep?

Dang it!!! This was coming along perfectly :banghead: :banghead:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

sotoolslinger

I have discovered that denatured alcohol will strip the clearcoat without taking off the decals if you are VERY CAREFUL.Although it will have what we will refer to as a heavily weathered finish from now on. :rolleyes: :blink:
I amuse me.

John Howling Mouse

That's just furken bizarre, Ron.   :huh:

I've had orange peel issues but not ever this bad.  Ed had the same idea I did about the Future but it would take many, many coats to build up enough of a level surface.  If it had remained a cold weather bird, I would have strategically placed scale "snow" (baking powder/glue mix) on the model as is and done a winter diorama, claiming any exposed orange peel was "ice build-up"
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Well actually I think I pulled this one out. I have it totally stripped down now and only lost 1 decal . I want to let it set for a while to totally outgas and then try another finish. :blink: I will post some pics tomorrow ;D
I amuse me.

BlackOps

Does this mean you no longer want to be stealthy?   Sounds like you've got it under control. I've never liked rattlecans of any sort because of their unpredictablility, glad your on your way to a save, sorry to hear you lost a decal.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

sotoolslinger

That is correct . The experimental finish was shown during testing to show up on radar as a 40 foot orange.  :lol: :rolleyes: If I have to loose 1 decal to pull this one back from the brink it is a small price to pay :thumbsup:
I amuse me.

Eddie M.

Did you spray that when the can or air was cold? I've had that happen to me before. I now warm the cans in warm water and try to wait to spray (I have to do my painting outside) until it's warmer . It looks like the dullcoat didn't level out. My only recourse would have been to add a coat to see if it filled in the pits. I hope you get that bad boy figured out. It's lookin' super mighty fine!
   Eddie "Crazy Legs" Miller ;D
Look behind you!

sotoolslinger

I got this fixed :huh: :blink:

I think the problem was just old can o dullcote. :huh: I warmed the can, shook well, and long and the model was not cold. But I bought the can at tiny LHS in Florida and I think it had set on a shelf for years. :banghead:
I just happened to have a can of denatured alcohol on hand and so just grasping at straws I tried it. It stripped off the dullcote down to where you see it now and I only lost 1 decal. It completely eliminated the pitting and after recoating with glosscote it pretty much eliminates the streaky appearance. But I will definitely be buying new dullcote before I try that again. ;D
I amuse me.

Eddie M.

I'm glad you were able to work it out. Sometimes things like that are a show stopper for me.
Look behind you!

sotoolslinger

Oh don't you believe for a minute that I didn't seriously consider this one trash. >:( I guess I'm just too effin mean to let some stupid bad paint stop me ;D :wacko:
I amuse me.

jcf

Quote from: sotoolslinger on January 29, 2009, 10:01:29 AM
I guess I'm just too effin mean to let some stupid bad paint stop me ;D :wacko:

Mean as in cheap or aggressive? ;)

Jon