Микоян - Гуревич, МиГ-29 [Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29] NATO Reporting Name FULCRUM

Started by Fulcrum, December 21, 2008, 12:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on December 24, 2008, 01:52:09 AM
Has anyone attempted to create a variable geometry wing MiG-29?  Might be possible if you were willing to do a kit bash and a little scale-o-rama between a larger MiG-29 and a smaller scale Fencer, F-14, or Tornado kit for the wings and fairings.  Has anyone been brave enough to try this?  Step up and be recognized for your efforts!

Yep - already working on, along with a FSW variant.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Fulcrum

I had an idea... In the Mig-Canadian success story, Mikoyan moved to Canada & developed the aircraft, I had a what if...

What if, if the Mig-29 was developed by mid-70's(like the F-15 & F-16) & replaced obslete CF-101's & CF-104's, I would like to see (if possible):

Mig-29 in NORAD service replacing Voodoos while keeping their colour scheme (Mostly white with the roundel in a red line down the fuselage) &

Mig-29 in service with NATO in Europe (using f-104/f-5 mobile command tactical close support camoflouge scheme)
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

sotoolslinger

I was going to bash a Flanker up with Viggen wings but they are too small. So now I am looking for a MiG -29 to see if that would work better. Anyone want to do a topview for me?
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

dy031101

Quote from: Fulcrum on February 17, 2009, 11:19:01 PM
Sorry for the useless alternate history :banghead:,but I had a idea of if the mig-29 had the flight surfaces of the upcoming J.S.F.

I read it from an ancient article about the Su-47 and the MiG 1.44 in a Taiwanese magazine that one of MiG's ideas for the LFS project is based on MiG-29 with AL-41F turbofan (didn't say how many, but I found it easier to think just one)......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Sauragnmon

Ooooooo nice idea Ron with the delta-canard concept on a Fulcrum..... I might steal that idea... That's a Very appealing idea.  Hmmmm, Gripen wings.  All sorts of interesting stuff.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sotoolslinger

Yeah I am hoping Scooterman can find me a Mig-29 at the San Antonio show since I don't have one.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Sauragnmon

Yeah, I can understand that.  I have no engines.  I swear, we need to get some aftermarket producer to make Russian Engines in Resin in 48 and 72.  Seriously.  AL-31's and RD-33's, Please.  That would be so damn handy, and so damn cool to get, especially for us maniacs who like nothing more than retrofitting anything with wings with Russian engines.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

Single-engined MiG-29? With the single air intake duct going to the centre-line, it would probably look pretty much like an F-16, wouldn't it? :lol: Apart from the twin vertical stabs.

Interesting nonetheless, especially if they used one of the advanced AL-31s.... :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

dy031101

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on February 20, 2009, 08:38:46 PM
Single-engined MiG-29? With the single air intake duct going to the centre-line, it would probably look pretty much like an F-16, wouldn't it?

The Sukhoi S-55 uses two intakes (beginning in the same way as those of the Su-27) to feed the single turbofan...... I am hoping that the single-engined MiG-29 can do the same, too......

====================

To-do list here

ChernayaAkula

^ In the MiG-29 most of the engines is housed in the engine/air duct nacelle underneath the fuselage, so I guess that would be the same for a single-engined variant as well, especially since the AL-31 is about a foot larger in diameter than the RD-33.

The S-55 looks quite different from the Su-27 (well, THIS VERSION does), especially regarding the way the LERXs fair into the forward fuselage, which is why the intakes can be arranged the way they are. On the Fulcrum, the bottom of the forward fuselage extends all the way back to the beaver-tail, without dropping much around which you could mould two side intakes.

An "F-16"-style Fulcrum could look very good, though.  :wub:
Cheers,
Moritz

Sauragnmon

I'd almost be tempted to say use the curve of the nose section to actually form the bulb for a DSI on a single-engine Viper-styled Fulcrum.  Just my thoughts.

dy031101

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on February 20, 2009, 11:49:13 PM
The S-55 looks quite different from the Su-27 (well, THIS VERSION does), especially regarding the way the LERXs fair into the forward fuselage, which is why the intakes can be arranged the way they are. On the Fulcrum, the bottom of the forward fuselage extends all the way back to the beaver-tail, without dropping much around which you could mould two side intakes.

Upon checking for pics and line drawings, you are right and I'm wrong- designs with two intakes are looking quite differently from the Su-27, designs with intakes similar in style with the Su-27 have only one intake......

====================

To-do list here