Микоян - Гуревич, МиГ-29 [Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29] NATO Reporting Name FULCRUM

Started by Fulcrum, December 21, 2008, 12:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Speaking of MiG-29s, some real world news:

QuoteRussia to Buy Carrier-Capable MiG-29Ks

12-Feb-2009 15:00 EST

In mid-January 2009, "MiG to Fold into UAC With Sukhoi?" discussed the perilous financial situation facing a firm that was once synonymous with Russian aerospace engineering. Orders for its capable multi-role MiG-29SM and MiG-29M/M2 fighters have been very slow, the firm lost key competitions to produce Russia's next-generation fighter and next-generation trainer, and Algeria's order cancellation came as a hard blow. RAC MiG reportedly lost RUB 11 billion rubles in 2008, and the firm faces a RUB 44.8 billion ($1.25 billion) debt.

That crisis is creating further unease among potential buyers. The Russian Air Force's own lack of interest to date in the thrust-vectoring MiG-29OVT/-35 variant being offered to India is raising concerns about the IAF being the type's sole owner, and therefore its sole source of ongoing maintenance support and upgrades. These concerns are shared with respect to the carrier-capable MiG-29K STOBAR (Short Take-Off, But Assisted Recovery), whose only orders to date have come from India. At present, Russia's own Admiral Kuznetsov carrier flies 2-seat SU-33 (aka. SU-27K) fighters, as well as Ka-27 helicopters, and 2-seat SU-25UBP Frogfoot close-support aircraft that are used in a naval trainer role, but capable of operational use as well.

Russian Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov appears to be taking steps to restore confidence, and was quoted by RIA Novosti as saying that:

"The state will support in every possible way, including financially, this one of Russia's largest companies. A draft weapons procurement program envisions the purchase of MiG-29 KUB naval fighters for deployment on future aircraft carriers."

The MiG-29KUB is the aircraft's 2-seat version, which could also be used in a trainer role for carrier pilots, or deployed in land-based role.

(Source)

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Sauragnmon

Hmmmm... it looks somewhat interesting I have to admit... and tempting... though I do admit, it might look better with a Fatback Fulcrum, just run the spine right all the way to the engine, and give it a spine brake instead of the tailbrakes like on the early Fulcrums... Hmmmm...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

ChernayaAkula

Cool stuff, Greg! :thumbsup:

Here's a head-on shot. Basically just the two nacelles drawn together. Air intake area is almost as big as the two earlier inlet, because I thought the much bigger engine may need a lot more air.

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Fulcrum

Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

GTX

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on February 22, 2009, 09:43:54 AM
Cool stuff, Greg! :thumbsup:

Here's a head-on shot. Basically just the two nacelles drawn together. Air intake area is almost as big as the two earlier inlet, because I thought the much bigger engine may need a lot more air.

:thumbsup:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Wasn't someone asking about a MiG-29 with a Shark's Mouth a while ago?

Look here for more.

Regards,

Greg

Jeffry Fontaine

Moritz,

Nice illustration.  What about a single tail to go with the single engine? 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

famvburg

It should look a lot like the Product 33, essentially a single-engined MiG-29, proposed by MiG at one time.
        http://pilot.strizhi.info/photos/v/museum+MiG/?g2_page=1

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on February 20, 2009, 08:38:46 PM
Single-engined MiG-29? With the single air intake duct going to the centre-line, it would probably look pretty much like an F-16, wouldn't it? :lol: Apart from the twin vertical stabs.

Interesting nonetheless, especially if they used one of the advanced AL-31s.... :wacko:

Sauragnmon

Interesting, the Project 33 has that intake like on the Ye-8 if you look at it.  The earlier MiG-35 looks pretty damn cool too - a Fulcrum with canards, what an idea!  I think there's TVC in there too.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Fulcrum

I heard rumours of versions of the Mig-29 that were in the concept stage but were not built. These include a Mig-29Sh bomber/ground attack aircraft with 5,000 kg of air-to-ground weapons & a Mig-29 with Mig-25 style wings.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

dy031101

Finally found it.  The first picture that made me realize that a delta-winged MiG-29 would look good.

Pairing it with MiG-29UBT avionics suite and...... perfect.

Does anyone have a larger version of the pic?  This is the highest-resolution I could find......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Sauragnmon

The delta Fulcrum does look nice, though I dare say I'd widen the span on those wings - they just don't look to have a whole lot of wing area - a wider span, but keep the Ogive Delta look on them.

Taiidantomcat

That HiMat is going on the To Do list...doesn't look too difficult to convert either. Thank you for sharing that  :bow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

dy031101

It's probably more appropriate to relocate this post here.

I want to add a centreline droptank to my Westernised MiG-29 mental note, but just to get the position exactly right, would someone point out precisely where the droptank should be between the intake funnels?

If description in words is difficult, enclose is a line drawing...... download the pic, circle where the mounting points for the droptank pylons are, and either upload the pic with the circles or PM me for eMail address......

Thanks in advance.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here