Your workbench in full glory

Started by Eddie M., December 21, 2008, 06:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Okay, 6 months ago, our attic looked like this:

Then you lot got me interested in modelling again, which lead to this unsatisfactory temporary arrangement in my mother's painting Den:

So the attic was "modified" and tonight, looks like this:

Stash on shelves to the right of the bench in the pic above. Not a terribly impressive stash, but all acquired in the last 6 months! The rest of the room (not pictured) is full of non-modelling junk. There's some left-overs from back in the day on the top shelf, which I might get around to finishing/renovating at some point:

Bench a bit closer up. The top drawer is the spares box, the bottom one holds sheet materials and a box for spare transfers:

RHS of the bench. Most hand painting goes on over here. The black square is the alternative free-standing base for the lamp/magnifier, and it's a very useful stand for half-painted fiddly bits. Smaller fiddly bits go on cocktail sticks, bigger ones on old felt pens, all held on with Blu-Tack. The bits there currently are from the Super Magister cockpit. The Iskra and Magister boxes behind are waiting with baited breath for the Trainers with Teeth GB to start....

LHS of the bench, where most building goes on. Tools are in the three small draws underneath it. The stuff to the back is mostly Super Magister, the box at the end contains the Avro Atom project. Unlike some folk, I don't like to work on too many projects at once, and since the Model Den is still new and shiney, I'm still cleaning it up after each one is finished, which may explain how I've managed to lose the freshly painted and modded bang seat from the Atom..... :banghead:

Behind the main bench is this little table, which has been used for craft projects by young men in this house since before I was born, so I reckon it's earned it's place. There's no power for lights over it, so it tends to get used as a dumping ground for extras, and it's drawers hold the Humbrol collection. The cardboard tubes are label/fax/ribbon cores from work, which have various uses....

....one of which is, the Evergreen forest in the corner of the main bench:

On top of the big drawers, the score so far (the Meteor is a wreck I use for paint experiments):

That's all folks!

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Draken35

NARSES2

Ok I'm game

Here's mine with a current project under way

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Eddie M.

Very impressive Everyone! Just so y'all know, I'm spying ideas from each and everyone of your tables. ;D

I'm also hoping that Baz will put his up again. That is a work of art!
Look behind you!

BlackOps

HOG, I'm impressed you can get such fine work out of such a small space, I couldn't even squeeze my fat arse in there  ;D

I enjoy seeing everyones work space, and like Eddie will be borrowing any good ideas  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

frank2056

Quote from: Eddie M. on December 22, 2008, 08:57:29 AM
I'm also hoping that Baz will put his up again. That is a work of art!

It really is - and another tour of his own personal hobby shop!

frank2056

One really useful "tool" is a daylight equivalent compact fluorescent bulb. They're pretty cheap these days and make a huge difference, especially when painting. Actually, make that two (or more) bulbs, to provide good illumination.

anthonyp

OK, I'll play too.

Been a while since I actually sat at the bench, but I have a bunch of things waiting, patiently, for the production line to start up again.

First pic is of the whole bench, then two closeups of what's on it.  Third is about 60% (er, 40% as of February 2010) of the stash (to the right of the bench, behind the golf bags).
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Gary

My work bench is my friends kitchen table every other Sunday. I take a box of tools and the current project and go. The alternating Sundays I am working in the basement here trying to finish everything so that I can build my work space.

GP
Getting back into modeling

kitnut617

Up until I moved house my bench looked like this, it was in the spare bedroom I commandeered:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

HOG

Quote from: BlackOps on December 22, 2008, 09:32:40 AM
HOG, I'm impressed you can get such fine work out of such a small space, I couldn't even squeeze my fat arse in there  ;D
Well I`m around 6` in me slippers and weigh in at around 24 stone plus (my `friends` tell me that if they want to know where I am they look in an atlas) its probably just as well that we`re on opposite sides of the globe.  ;D
cheers  :drink:
G
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Eddie M.

Here's mine again, this time in full production mode..
Look behind you!

Weaver

Biggest problem in mine is temperature. It's above the main roof insulation, so it gets very cold in Winter and very hot in Summer. I intend to line the inside of the roof with foil/foam insulation, but I havn't got around to it yet (which points to my other problem that no workbench will ever solve: I'm a lazy bugger.... :rolleyes:)

Spraying takes place down the cellar, which is still a complete tip. I have all the storage gear to sort it out but.... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Well having just gotten off the road the bench looks likes this

My wife usually makes me take the table cloth off before I start slashing :wacko:
Part o the stash and workbench

Where finished models go to rest(all over)

Nother part o stash

(turn head sideways)
Most people hang clothes on the weight bench

The traveling stash
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland